Heart Disease Community
mild global lv dysfunction

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

mild global lv dysfunction

thanks for taking my question. i'm 51, went to the doctor and had  different bood pressure reading in my left and right arms. the doctor recommened a transthoracic echocardiography. i was hoping you could translate the results in laymans terms. my doctor is korean and i have a hard time understanding her. i'll give you the summary, normal left ventricular size, mild global LV systolic dysfunction. LV ejection fraction is 51 to 54%. RV size and function are normal. Valvular function is normal. Mild Aortic Root dilatation, no evidence of Coarctation of Aorta. Is this tpyical of someone my age? Other than this I've  never had any health problems.  I don't smoke but i do drink about 6 to 12 beers a week.The only medicine i take daily is zyrtec-d.I don't have a high stress job anymore, i use to run my own construction business(20 years) now i work for the state(water plant operator). Also been married to the same woman for 26 years and have two grown boys out of college, one home,a little stress. My father died of a massive heart attack at sixty(22 years of diabetes and hard work)and my mother had a major stroke after his death,and has almost made a full recovery,grandkids helped.Am I headed down the same road? Can I do something about this with out meds? thanks again for your time, matt c
I'm not a doctor, but I don't think there is anything medically significant in your echo findings. Just do all you can to maintain a healthy lifestyle and i'm sure you have a much better chance than your dad did. Words like like trivial/mild are usually no cause for concern. Have an echo in 2-3 years time and see what happens, if new symptoms develop or what you have now seem to get worse then repeat sooner. Good luck.
Avatar n tn
Just FYI....this is the patient support board so no doctors are reading this.

Where the readings taken in the different arms drastically different?  Were they high?  If so, you may want to ask your doctor about cutting back on the Zyrtec-D.  The "D" part of Zyrtec is  pseudoephedrine and it can raise BP in some people.