Heart Disease Community
mild mitral valve leaking

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

mild mitral valve leaking

My mother is 67 years old. She is unable to walk more than 200mtrs since past three months. She feels tired  and breathless after an hour of activity. After seeing her echocardiogram the doctor told us that she has a mild mirtal valve leaking and that she may not need valve replacement and put her on medication. But her symptoms remain the same. I would like to find out.
1. Are her symptoms related to miral valve leaking?
2. If yes can the medication improve her health?
3. Does she need valve replacement in future?
4. When is the right time for vave replacement?
harry
I have moderate to severe MVR and very few symptoms...other than aging limitations which are expected.  Medication helps me avoid chest pains when working out...so I have very few complaints.  

I doubt if symptoms are soley related to mild MVR, and there may be a health issue concomitant with valve leakage.  If there is troublesome  MVR, medication can only treat the symptoms.  If MVR is serious, the cardiac output is diminished and that can enlarge the left ventricle and weaken heart contractions, then chest pain, shortness of breath , etc....medication can help treat symptoms ...but it is very doubtful a mild valve leakage will cause any problems.  After reading thousands of heart related posts and my own experience, this the first time I am aware of the symptoms you describe with mild valve leakage.    

Often mild valve leakage does not progress and usually or almost always never causes any symptoms.  Doubtful if a valve replacement will ever be needed....there are alway exceptions, but mild leakage is not uncommon and almost never a progression problem.

The right time is when the valve leakage is moderate to severe and before the left ventricle enlarges.  If the LV enlarges, that condition requires treatment before valve replacement.  If your mother requires intervention, there is a repair procedure that is less interventional and done with a cath.  Depends on underlying problem for MVR
Avatar n tn
A couple of questions. Have they done a chest X-Ray to make sure she doesn't have pneumonia or something else going on with her lungs?

What type of doctor is she seeing? If she's seeing a family doctor, I would definitely ask for a referral to a cardiologist since your Mom is still not feeling well and is having symptoms. I would also ask for a copy of the echocardiogram report (she will probably have to sign for it herself), so you can see for yourselves exactly what it says and also give it to the cardiologist if that's the next step.

Please keep up posted when you find out more. The folks on the forum are great explaining things in an understandable way and helping steer people in the right direction for more answers when needed.

Good luck!

Yes I fully agree with both replies, it is hardly due to a mild regurgitation. What other tests do they have planned? You know, I fail to see how any Doctor can even consider
prescribing medication until they know what they are prescribing the drugs for. It would be like me prescribing nitro to someone who has a headache.