Heart Disease Expert Forum
mild mitral regurgitation
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

mild mitral regurgitation

Hi,
  I'm a 48 years old, female who...15 years ago was diagnosed with MVP by a cardiologist. Yet, a recent echocardiogram report states nothing about MVP but does mention that there is mild regurgitation of the mitral valve.  This did seem to puzzle my new internist.  
  A bit of history...my father had open heart surgery to replace his aorta valve with a pig's valve. and had CHF.  I've been taking Inderal for 15 years because of arrythmias, fast heart beats, and pvc(s).  The daily dosage of 80mg worked fine for 14 years. Last summer after complaining of increasing symptoms of palpitatons and fluttering sensations occurring 8 to 10 times per/hour and the fact that the results of a 24 hour holter monitor revealed regular pvc(s) and arrythmias, my physician felt that it was necessary to increase the daily dosage of Inderal to 120mg.  The increased dosage continues to reduce the symptoms I was feeling significantly.
  I feel I'm in pretty good shape since I walk two to three miles a day without feeling too tired afterwards.  However while walking, I do experience shortness of breath especially on short hills or on slightly elevated stretches.  I prefer walking alone because I often cannot keep up with the pace my friends walk...(I'm too proud to ask them to slow down).  When I'm not walking, I experience palpitations three or four times a day...especially when I'm resting and sitting in a reclining position.
  I can live with these symptoms as long as I know that it's not causing any further damage to the valve or other parts of the heart.  My questions to you Doctor are:  With or without symptoms, is mild mitral regurgitation usually a progressive condition?  Is it coreect to assume that when someone has a valve that leaks there already has been damage done to that valve? Is surgery for repair recommended only after a diagnosis of moderate to severe regurgitation has been made?  Is it unusual or common to have the symptoms I've been having...needing to take 120mg of Inderal a day even if it's only mild mitral regurgitation? Is it possible that because I've been feeling these symptoms all these years that there could something else that's not working well with the heart? How seriously should one interpret the diagnosis of mild mitral regurgitation...does it depend on how much symptoms the patient has or how much damage there is to that valve? Would it be reasonable to ask my internist to refer me to a cardiologist or is an internist trained to know when it would be the right time to refer me?
  Hope it's not too many questions.  Thanks a million for your time and the information.
  Helen