Heart Disease Community
mild to moderate diastolic dysfunction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

mild to moderate diastolic dysfunction

I was diagnosed with 55-60% ejection fraction in my left ventricle.    
I am taking 15 mg. Lisinopril and very little Bystolic about 1.5 mg. for my high blood pressure.   This all started in Jan of this year.  

What are the measures that I can take to help this condition?   I am tired all of the time and the tiredness is very difficult to deal with.  
An ejection fraction of 55-60 is entirely normal.   Feeling tired could be due to any number of factors, If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend a complete physical.
Bystolic is a beta blocker and they are known to cause fatigue.

Do you also take any of the statin drugs.  They deplete CoQ10.  If so, supplementing with CoQ10, or better yet Ubiquinol, could help.
First thing I would do is address your sleep disorder, Getting enough sleep can mean a lot. Diastolic Dysfunction means your heart is stiff and does not fill with enough oxygenated blood between beats. The meds we take slow our heart rate and relax your heart so it has time to fill properly. But the sad part is some side effects of the meds are fatigue. It is worth talking to your cardio doctor maybe you can try another med that does not effect you as bad. You also would want to talk to your doctor about exercise .

I have dealt with diastolic dysfunction for the past twenty years but if managed correctly you can live a normal life. D-D is still a type of heart failure even with a normal EF  and can causes fatigue. It is very important to work with your doctors and take the meds.
thank you - I will request a complete physical.
I refused the statin drug.   I do take coq10 and it says Ubiquinol on it.  
I am going to request an appointment and ask for another med due to fatigue and request a physical also.  I will talk to him about exercise.    

Thank you
I have had problem with sleep for the last 15 years.    I am now taking 1 mg of loraazepam and it seems to work and my heart doctor is not opposed as long as I do not go over that amount.  I am working with a bioenergetics BMD and she wants to get me off the lorazapam.    I would like to do that also. She recommends melatonin and something called deep sleep.   I will be trying those next week.   I will be making an appointment with my doctor for a physical and talk to him about my meds.  

Thank you for you input.
You say:. The meds we take slow our heart rate and relax your heart so it has time to fill properly
Good info. my pulse was reduced from high 70s' to low 60s' first by amiodarone, then by propafenone for 2.5 years in all.. Two weeks after getting a stent (RCA 95% block) in May I was taken off propa  and my pulse remains steady six weeks later at low 60's. I begin to question: did I ever need those powerful drugs at all?
I found out I had DD this past May after I went to the emergency room for chest pains. I had an echo done and a stress test. Stress test showed I had developed hypertension cuz my bp went up to 180/100 and echo said I had DD stage one.  E/A ratio was .7 but I wasn't even told this. I found all this out cuz I had asked the nurse to get me copies. I had been told the reports were negative. I still have chest pains and chest cramping and I'm on 5 mg listen opril and I have shortness of breath. Also I just found out in 2011 I had an echo that showed early stages DD but they never told me about that either. After I saw this last echo I asked the nurse practitioner why was I told the results were negative she said they were saying the results were negative for any blockages. So these doctors don't even tell you if you have DD!  And the bad thing about exercise is the bottom bp # goes up high in the nineties and 100's when it should go down and the heart starts beating too fast.
I saw your comment online. I have recently been diagnosed with DD and you said that you have been living with it for 20 years. I have to say your comment has been probably the most enlightening thing for me. I am wondering if you could give me more insight? I know it has been some time since you posted so I hope this message gets to ya.