Heart Disease Expert Forum
mildly dilated left atrium

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

mildly dilated left atrium

i had an echo...and the result was mildly dilated left atrium with mild degree mitral valve LEAFLET prolapse...and RJA 1.7cm2 with conclusion that i've mild mvp &mild incompetence...it freaked me out although every other thing was normal and i had stress test was(this ECG test is considerd normal with good exercise tolerance)...i'll meet my cardiologist next wednesday so i need someone to tell me ASAP is serious although it was written that mitral valve and left atrium :normal systolic coatation, no abnormal thickening of the leaflets ???
other informations
normal left ventricular dimensions and global contractility, the ejection fraction is 62%
no regional wall motion abnormalities
no apparent intacardiac masses or thrombi
*left ventricular outflow tractand aortic valve
norma aortc valve motion and thickness
normal LVOT , no abnormal systolic gradient
*right sided chambers and valves
normal pulmonary &tricuspid valves and RV
*pericardium
no pericardial effusion
LVEDD 4.3 cm
LVESD 2.7
SWT 1.1
PWT 1.1
FS 31%
RV 2.2
LA 4.2
Ao root 3.4
thank you
It sounds like you have very mild mitral valve prolapse which is seen in 2-3% of the population.  Now we are usually much more strict on the diagnostic techniquest of evaluating mitral valve prolapse by echocardiography and we used to diagnose people with prolapse who truly don't have it (used to be more like 30% of the population in the past).  But even if you have mild mitral valve prolapse with mild mitral incompetancy or regurgitation it does not mean that over your lifetime this will progress.  It does progress in some people however and you should be followed with at least yearly echos for now.  Your left atrium is just on the border to be dilated and at our institution we now index your left atrium in more of a volume calculation because we were overestimating left atrium measurements also.  My suspicion is actually that your left atrium is probably normal because the rest of your echo does not suggest to me any reason why your left atrium should be dilated.  However with age and some stiffening of our heart which happens over time the left atrium can become mildly dilated.  Overall, I would not worry with these echo findings!!! You should just have a routine echo in a year or so to make sure nothing has progressed.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
yes thank you it was really helpful...am 28 years old single, i just want to add that i had a constipation while the echo plus i do suffer since 2 years from irritable bowel syndrome, and i went to the cardiologist because i had a pain in my right side from the chest and my left arm....and so he asked me to have an echo and stress test, and i had the echo immediatly after the stress test...shall i have another one?
sorry i meant a pain in my left side of my chest i just noticed i wrote it wrong thank you
If you just had a normal stress echo, I do not believe you need another one.  You are young and I truly doubt your left atrium is enlarged so I would just wait until next year to get another.  You see the Cardiologist this coming week and I am sure he or she will also reassure you!!