Heart Disease Community
mitral valve problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

mitral valve problems

I received a bombshell today while investigating recent increased SOB and some Angina issues.  In 2006 I had multiple stents installed during two procedures, and one 85 - 90% blockage couldn't be stented because of a very curved RDA, it was opened with Angioplasty to 50%... I expected to hear that this blockage had increased.  However, he says it could very well be that the moderate Mitral Valve leakage has increased.  I'm going in for a stress test and Echocardiogram soon.  I'm male, age 66, 6'3", 210 pounds, considered about 15 pounds overweight by the trainers at the fitness center where I swim, do aerobics and lift weights, although I'm losing the ability to do all three, I just run out of wind.  I'm used to stents, I don't fear them, but the Mitral valve problems are something I really fear.  Is SOB, fast exhaustion, and need of excess sleep a symptom of a Mitral Valve problem?  
The symptoms you are describing sound like those associated with worsening mitral insufficiency (leaking valve).  I have 2-3+ mitral regurg. and see the doctor semi-annual for checkups.  I also have an echo and a stress echo each year to evaluate the valve.  My doctor wants to know about increasing fatigue, SOB, changes in what I can do, etc.  

That said, your symptoms could be totally unrelated to your valve.  I say this b/c a few years back when I was experiencing similar symptoms, all the doctors assumed the valve to be the culprit.  Everyone figured the regurg ha worsened. After an echo and other tests, turns out it was not valve related at all.  So, hang in there, have the test and see what the doctor has to say.  Here's hoping you symptoms are related to nothing serious.  Keep us posted.  

Good luck!
Sorry to hear your not feeling well.
I have symptoms at times even with mild MVP that appears to have come and gone, and then came back throughout the last 18 years. My worst symptoms are various palpitations, SOB, chest discomfort and anxiety/panic at times. Although most people don't ever experience many, if any symptoms, heart sensitive people usually notice a few of the symptoms listed below off and on,  throughout their lifetimes. Moderate or severe MVP can cause more significient symptoms of course....

Unfortunately, your symptoms could very well be MVP related.

Here are the most common symptoms of MVP.

Dyspnea or SOB
Palpitations
Chest pain and discomfort
Fatigue
Cough
Panic/Anxiety
Sensation of being choked or smothered
Feelings of dizziness, vertigo, or unsteadiness
Paresthesias
Hot and cold flashes; sweating; faintness
Trembling or shaking

Hopefully, it can be controlled with a medication and surgery won't be needed.
On a positive note, only 2 to 5 percent of MVP patients under the age of 70 develop sufficient regurgitation that requires surgery from what I've researched and found. There's also newer surgeries being performed now like the
minimally invasive da Vinci
Please keep us posted as you know I have ankylosing spondylitis such as yourself and been doing some reasearch lately on it as it is a more serious disease than once thought. It can cause mild cardiomyopathy and valve problems , mostly aortic although the mitral can be involved. The natural tendency of the disease is chronic fatigue and breathlessness long after the disease has run its course so your case and symptoms although alarming might having nothing to do with AS or the mitral valve and might have to do more with your previous inflammation and CAD. Wishing you well , keep us updated.
Thank you all for your encouragement and information.  I'll keep you informed.  What a great forum this is, we learn so much about very important issues from each other.  I won't have the tests for about three weeks, all this is happening as I'm in the middle of cataract surgery!  I was for a period of time a commercial fisherman here on the West Coast and I'm paying for poor eye protection care.  If it comes to mitral valve surgery, I'm going to be sure and ask about he DaVinci  procedure, Celeste07.  I'm going to try and think positive about the fact that it could be a blockage and I just need another Stent, Momto3, and you are correct according to my cardiologist, tickertok, AS is suspected in having a stronger heart problem connection than earlier considered.
Thanks again.