Heart Disease Expert Forum
mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitation (shortness of breath)

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

hi
i was diagnosed with presumed mitral valve prolapse in 2012 with mild regurgitation, following an echocardiogram which i had prior to ablation for AVNRT. my cardiologist did not seem concerned stating it was common in women my age (im 33 years old with PCOS). in 2011 i had an echocardiogram also, which i now know showed the same except with moderate mitral regurgitation.
i saw my cardiologist around 6 months ago and explained to him i get shortness of breath even when sat down and he said it couldnt be the valve causing that. he advised me to continue exercise
which i have done. i do get out of breath easier than before but no other symptoms such as lightheadedness.
i am currently under more investigations for gastroenterology i will be having an endoscopy and barium xray due to excessive wind from the chest (burping which is so embarressing) and chest discomfort which is often relieved by this burping.
i guess im asking whether the mild regurgitation could cause this sensation of uncomfortable breathing or coukd it be the gastro problem. how woukd i know if my regurgitation had progressed would there be other signs?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sorry you have been having some difficulty!  Mitral valve prolapse is common in young woman and mild regurgitation is almost always associated with this type of valve problem.  Shortness of breath is certainly associated with mitral regurgitation, but this is almost always in the setting of older patients who have had severe regurgitation for some time (or acutely in the setting of something like a heart attack, which you do not have).  It is impossible for me to say with certainty whether your mitral regurgitation is causing your shortness of breath without seeing your echocardiogram myself (to see other measurements on tho e echo which would better determine whether the regurgitation is a problem or not).  If you severity of regurgitation has increased from mild to moderate, then a repeat echo at some point is certainly indicated.  If the regurgitation is getting worse over time, it certainly could be causing your shortness of breath.  Hope that helps.
Hi thank you for the response.

Would there be any other signs other than shortness of breath that indicate that the regurgitation has progressed from mild to moderate.

Is it normal for regurgitation to fluctuate from moderate to mild and then to moderate perhaps?

Thank you in advance.