Heart Disease Expert Forum
mitral valve

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

mitral valve

Hi, my question to you is can mitral valve regurgitation ever repair itself without any surgery and basically on its own? I never jogged or ran alot before but will that help or make it worse? the regurge is mild if that helps you answer the question any better. I also pose the same exact question but with the tricuspid valve...again its mild and the heart function isnt affected much my ef is at about 65. i would like to make the valve leak disappear without any medication or surgery. Last year i had none of this it all came about with alot of stress that ive had as of late. my ef last year also was at 70. Thank you in advance for any help.
Mild mitral valve or tricuspid valve regurgitation is a very common finding and not one to worry about. In fact, it would be the exception to have no tricuspid regurgitation depending on age (over about 50 everyone has even a little). Mild regurgitation of either of these valves will not give symptoms. There is nothing really to make them "disappear", though the severity can vary a little just by when you look, though a mild regurgitation won't be severe if you just look at another time (it is very small variations).

Over time these valves can - but don't necessarily have to - have more regurgitation and cause symptoms, but that progression takes years if it occurs, and can be safely monitored with annual or bi-annual echocardiograms. If symptoms develop (shortness of breath) and the mitral valve is the etiology, then repair or replacement may be warranted. The tricuspid valve is rarely intervened on surgically and managed best with medications to keep your fluid volume controlled. Surgical management of the tricuspid valve is almost only done if the patient is going to undergo heart surgery for another reason (i.e. mitral or aortic valve intervention).

Exercise is encouraged as much as tolerated, and continue your follow up with your physician with routine screening by echocardiogram every 1-2 years.