Heart Disease Expert Forum
mitro valve thickening

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

mitro valve thickening

I possibly had rheumatic fever as a child.
  I was diagnosed, when I was sick a second time, as an adult.
  I have aortic valve damage with mitro stenosis and for thirty years,
   the mitro valve has carried the workload.   Now I have been told that the
  mitro is "thickening".  I have been told i need the aortic valve.  What does
  this thickening mean to the situation?  Is there a time factor here?  Like does
  thickening with regurgitation mean you have some vauge time period to react
  with both valves being replaced?  When will a thickening valve quit?

Dear Warren,
Rheumatic heart disease is progressive, it never quits, and eventually it requires
repair or more likely replacement of the affected valves.  The thickening of the
valve is the principal aspect of the chronic process in that it causes the structural
damage to the valve that leads to a combination of stenosis (thickening that obstructs
the natural forward flow of blood through the valve) and less so regurgitation (backward
flow of blood-in the wrong direction due to deranged valve structure.)  It sounds as if
both your aortic and mitral valves.  The way a cardiologist follows this type of
patient is to do regular history, physical exam, and echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart)
There are multiple factors involved in deciding when surgery is indicated as it is eventually
required in almost every patient in your situation as you describe it on the forum.   You are
right in speaking of the reaction time in that our hearts have a great ability to adapt to the
deranged valve, however there is a limit to how long the heart can deal as such before it will
fail completely. Also you should know that current knowledge suggests that
any valve with significant regurgitation should be repaired and or replaced fairly quickly (preferably before the heart shows any signs of failure.)  
If you would like an opinion at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in regards to
your vavular heart disease, simply call 1-800-CCF-CARE and ask for an appointment with one of the
valve cardiologists at desk F15 (Dr. Rodrguez, Dr.Mayer-Sabik, and Dr.Asher for example.) Good Luck.
Information provided in the heart forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only, actual
diagnosis and treatment can only be made by your physician(s).

I've been sick for a little over 7 months now. I was having severe chest pain along with other symptoms n went to the e.r. The doc said I had chest wall inflamation (inflammation) and sent me home. Then I went to see my regular doc and he sent me for an echo of my heart. I got the results back n it said I have mitrial regurgitation and tricuspid regurgitation along with a mitrial thickening. My doc ignored it all together n said I have acid reflex disease n sent me home. Any advice anyone PLEASE!