Heart Disease Expert Forum
moderately dilated left atriums

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

moderately dilated left atriums

Hello, is it possible for a mildly dilated left atrium (4.8cm) to back to to normal size if the cause was high blood pressure that is now under control by medication?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello waterbed81,

It is hard to give you an accurate answer to the question without personally looking at your echocardiogram. However,  I can give you some helpful opinion.
Mightily dilated left atrium is generally inconsequential and unlikely to create clinical problems or symptoms of any sort.
we are often concerned about valve leakages in patients who have dilated left atria. But, I'm certain that the echocardiogram would have shown that with a great degree of certainty.
A dilated left atrium can  sometimes cause a condition called atrial fibrillation, resulting in abnormal rhythms and high heart rates,  which might require treatment.
However, if you do not have  this condition,  I would recommend not worrying about it.
A well controlled blood pressure provides several  health benefits including reduced cardiovascular mortality and morbidity. Whether  it will reduce the size of your left atrium is unknown

hope that helps
CCFHeartMD19
Thank you so much for your answer.  I really appreciate it.  Actually, I meant to put in moderately dialated.  I appear to fall into that range since it's 4.8 cm.  Is that correct?  Some more information about me.  I'm 31, don't have any blockages and my EF improved from 20-25% to 54% in 7 weeks time.  I was diagnosed with CHF.  When I was first admitted, my BNPs didn't go over 164 and 5 days later they were around 83.  I have no vale problems, leakages, etc.  My EKGs have been normal and cholesterol is normal.  Would you be able to give me any sort of further prognosis?  Also my left ventricle was mildly dilated.  I guess what I really want to know is with moderate dilation of left Atrium, is it unlikely it will return to normal size or is there still a possibility it could?  Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hey waterbed,

I am glad that you had a remarkable improvement in your left ventricular function.
In the absence of atrial fibrillation, nothing needs to be done about the dilated left atrium. It looks like you are on the right medical therapy for your heart (given the improvement in your LV function) and I would recommend continuing with the same.
It is likely that your ventricular and atrial sizes may return to normal with time.

CCFHeartMD19
Thank you so much for that information!!!  I feel a lot better
Hi CCFHeartMD19, I have another question, if I may?  I had 2 more echo's done.  One was on 9/10/2013 and the other on 10/18/2013.   The former said my heart was normal size, but the last one said I had a dilated right ventricle.  Prior to this, the right ventricle was always normal, starting with my initial echo done on July 14, 2013.  The last echo had my right ventricle at 4.7.  Does that sound strange that it would be normal just 5 weeks before and grossly abnormal now?  Also, If I hadn't asked for a report of my ultrasound, the doctor would have never mentioned it.  He just told me that my EF was much improved and my heart had appeared to shrink from the initial echo.  That had my left ventricle mildly dilated, now he says that's normal size.  But the second ultrasound said all the chambers were normal.  Any thoughts?
A related discussion, mildly dilated left atriom was started.