Heart Disease Community
movement sensation in chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

movement sensation in chest

This has been going on for the past 2-3 nights.  Only occurs at night, when I'm in bed, and just as I'm dosing off to sleep, I am brought awake by a feeling of movement in my chest.  There is a feeling of pressure and fullness like indigestion, not pain.  Last night it happened repeatedly, everytime I started to fall asleep, at least 10 times and kept me up most the night.  I do have the fullness and indigestion feeling during the day and some heatburn, probably acid reflux.  So I took a nexium today.  As I was trying to fall asleep tonight, I have the same sensation of a movement in my chest that comes on just as I'm dosing off.  I'm not really sure what is going on here.  If I continue to take the nexium and this doesn't go away, should I see my doctor, and what could be going on?
i get a sort of jolt in my chest as if my diaphram is jumping it jumps once then stops then jumps again you can even see it move i don't know what mine is either
Been getting similar symptoms myself for last few months...kinda jolt, more like an electric shock without any pain, no movement. only ever happens when going to sleep. feels like it's in my chest, sometimes through into my head.
Have found a few things worked to reduce this;
- Magnesium or a magnesium+ calcium supplement on going to bed, to calm the nervous system. totally worked for a while...
- homeopathic Hypericum is marvelous, have only tried a 30c dose so far, works for a couple hours to totally eradicate symptoms, usually long enough to get to sleep. (dont get jolts once im asleep).
- third i tried bodytalk (energy medicine) which got rid of it first try for 4 - 5 months, but is just starting to come back now.
have been to an osteopath more recently since it's come back, she's stumped as to what is causing problem, yet to see whether her series of sessions will help.
mystery tho to, what it's all about...i havent had any spinal injuries, accidents...jolts only ever happen when going to sleep, when very relaxed.
any ideas anyone?

i get the same thing it started when i started to drink alot of moutain dew and choclate
an i think from a lack of sleep and smokeing i get it in the right side of my chest and when i lay on my side i hope this helps if any one has more info please comment
I had this (electric shock jolt like feeling without pain when falling asleep). It is quite disturbing! ... I think it is due to caffine and anxiety. I used to get it very badly and it cummulated into full blown panic attacks. I had to have medication, get counselling for the things that were stressing me out and stop drinking coffee and it took a long time (6 months to a year) to get back to being able to sleep properly (without it happening at all) so you are better trying to prevent it becoming like that. I know it is the caffine as I don't get them anymore, but I do still smoke whereas now I only drink coffee or tea up till about mid afternoon. If for some reason I'm tired and have an afternoon nap then I get it again (so it has to be the caffine triggering it?)
It is possible you are experiencing indigestion, and if the symptoms don't occur with exertion it is unlikely to be a cardiac issue. However if you do not improve with medications you should let your primary physician know.  If you have associated sweating, chest pains or shortness of breath you should seek immediate medical care.