Heart Disease Expert Forum
muscle spasms of the heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

muscle spasms of the heart
i recently returned from the hospital with chest pain and diagnosis of muscle spasms of the heart and surrounding veins.
I have had an EKG, Blood work and even a Cath. done. There was no evidence of heart damage, however the stress echo I had done a week earlier suggests that I have severe hypertension and evidence showing I had a mild heart attack.  What do I make of that test and what information can you tell me about heart muscle spasms?
I do not think you are having heart muscle spasms, as there is really no such thing. Heart artery spasm does occur (very rare if the coronary arteries are normal) and medications such as calcium channel blockers and nitroglycerin are helpful for this condition. More likely, the chest pains are from elevated blood pressure; if the pains persist after your blood pressure is controlled, then it is unlikely the pains are from the heart at all.
A related discussion, Spasms, fluttering and/or squeezing feeling. was started.
A related discussion, i have recently had heart spasms was started.