Heart Disease Expert Forum
mvp with enlarged left atrium
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

mvp with enlarged left atrium

i might have mvp with a left atrial enlargement. what ways can my doctor detect the severity andwhat kind of options are there for treatment
Related Discussions
238671_tn?1189759432
An echocardiogram can detect the severity of the MVP and the size of the left atrium. An enlarged left atrium does not require treatment per se, but if it is severe valve leakage causing the atrial enlargement, valve surgery would be the answer.
10 Comments
Blank
If an adult male has left atrium size of 2.4cm at age 24, what would his left atrium size be 20 years later if he is active and exercises a lot during this time period and has no heart disease?Approximately what would the normal expected increase be in cm?Thank you.Allan
Blank
238671_tn?1189759432
You wouldn't expect an increase in left atrial size due to either exercise or aging.
Blank
i AM 72 YRS OLD AND HAVE MVP WITH LEAKING AND HEART ENLARGEMEMT AND TAKE 50 MG OF STENOL. IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY TO TREAT IT? THANK YOU
Blank
238671_tn?1189759432
If there is significant leakage and heart enlargement, surgery would be the prefered mode of therapy.
Blank
If left atrial size does not increase due to aging and exercise .....does left atrium size stays the same throughout the lifetime.....to be normal does it have to be the same size throughout adult lifetime?Does aorta (size) increases with age and exercise?Thank you.Allan
Blank
238671_tn?1189759432
There may be minor changes in size with ageing (aging), but the sizes should not increase above the upper limits of normal. However, the measurements can change from test to test, because there is fair amount of variability in these examinations.
Blank
What would an adult (left atrium) minor changes with ageing (aging) be in cm?Would an increase from 2.4cm to 3.8cm over the period of 22 years be considered a (normal) minor change?Thank you.Allan
Blank
238671_tn?1189759432
I would not worry about that change.
Blank
The left atrium is 25% larger than the rest of my heart.  My blood pressure is just above normal.  I am 32 years old and considered obese but I am active.  So far no MVP has been diagnosed.  Is there any options for treatment of this condition?
Blank
A related discussion, Left Atrium was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank