Heart Disease Expert Forum
mvp with enlarged left atrium

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

mvp with enlarged left atrium
i might have mvp with a left atrial enlargement. what ways can my doctor detect the severity andwhat kind of options are there for treatment
An echocardiogram can detect the severity of the MVP and the size of the left atrium. An enlarged left atrium does not require treatment per se, but if it is severe valve leakage causing the atrial enlargement, valve surgery would be the answer.
If an adult male has left atrium size of 2.4cm at age 24, what would his left atrium size be 20 years later if he is active and exercises a lot during this time period and has no heart disease?Approximately what would the normal expected increase be in cm?Thank you.Allan
You wouldn't expect an increase in left atrial size due to either exercise or aging.
i AM 72 YRS OLD AND HAVE MVP WITH LEAKING AND HEART ENLARGEMEMT AND TAKE 50 MG OF STENOL. IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY TO TREAT IT? THANK YOU
If there is significant leakage and heart enlargement, surgery would be the prefered mode of therapy.
If left atrial size does not increase due to aging and exercise .....does left atrium size stays the same throughout the lifetime.....to be normal does it have to be the same size throughout adult lifetime?Does aorta (size) increases with age and exercise?Thank you.Allan
There may be minor changes in size with ageing, but the sizes should not increase above the upper limits of normal. However, the measurements can change from test to test, because there is fair amount of variability in these examinations.
What would an adult (left atrium) minor changes with ageing be in cm?Would an increase from 2.4cm to 3.8cm over the period of 22 years be considered a (normal) minor change?Thank you.Allan
I would not worry about that change.
The left atrium is 25% larger than the rest of my heart.  My blood pressure is just above normal.  I am 32 years old and considered obese but I am active.  So far no MVP has been diagnosed.  Is there any options for treatment of this condition?
A related discussion, Left Atrium was started.