Heart Disease Community
my dad.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

my dad.

Last year, my dad went in for triple by pass surgery and many of my questions remained unanswered. They performed the surgery on him, he went into recovery and they finally told him he could come home but should come back for check ups often. About a week later my dad called saying he was on his way to the doctor. Then, I got another call saying that they had put my dad back into the hospital. While on the way to the doctor he fell over and stopped breathing. I maybe heard my brother say something about a heart attack? They kept him in the hospital for about three more days, then on august 28, I got a call notifying me that my dad had passed away. My unanswered question is what might have caused my dad to pass away? Was it the surgery, or perhaps some other problems that he had going. My family doesnt share much about my dad with me, so I thought this would be the best way to find my answer. Your help will be greatly appreciated. One last question.. what exactly is the surgery for, and has everyone who has had this surgery fully recovered? Or have all survived?
Firstly I would like to say how sorry I am for your loss. Bypass surgery is not 100% with success, in fact quite a few do fail. I had a triple bypass in Sept 07 and I did feel much better a couple of months later. I was walking up and down hills for about 3 miles with no problems. In the third month, I was walking home from the shops carrying some bags and walking up a slight incline. I remember thinking how much harder it seems to be, I felt more short of breath than usual. Then literally seconds later, I was on the floor really gasping for air. I was petrified because I felt very light headed and it felt like I was going to die. This lasted for about five minutes (and no passers by helped me), and I managed to very slowly walk home. I had an angiogram the following day and it was confirmed that my bypass vessels had all collapsed.
I was lucky because I had collateral vessels feeding the bottom of my blocked artery and when the bypass collapsed I would have died if they didn't exist.

If I was in your shoes, I would ask your GP to request a copy of the surgical notes. Then you can go through these with your GP. What concerns me is why would they need to regularly check him after the surgery? they must have known there was a problem. If they KNEW there were serious problems and let your Father go home without informing him and giving him advice, I believe they have been truly negligent. You should be informed of ANY problems found which seriously affect your health.
Although the cause of death was known to be heart related, did they perform a post mortem to establish the exact cause?
Before there can be a reasonable assessment of the cause for your father's death, one would need more information such as were there co-existing medical problems, etc.?  Unfortunately, you may not have legal access to your dad's medical records without a court order so you may not ever have the answers you ask.

QUOTE: "One last question.. what exactly is the surgery for, and has everyone who has had this surgery fully recovered? Or have all survived?"

>>>>>The surgery is to bypass ( graft with harvested existing vessel from the leg or mammary vessel) blocked coronary arteries.  Blocked arteries can cause symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, fatique, etc. indicating  the heart cells are not receiving enough blood/oxygen and the cells could die if not properly treated.  I and many others with some coronary artery blockage do well with medication....medication will dilate the vessels enough to open the vessels for better perfusion.    

The failure rate for a by-pass is not excessively high,  and if done under the proper circumstances and a qualified medical  team the expectation would be a full recovery within months.  

Did your dad have symptoms of a heart problem or history , and did medication fail to relieve symptoms?.  Do you know the results of any tests prior to the operation that the medical team relied on?  That would be  the beginning for any explanation.  
The loss has been hard. Thank you for your time and answers. And i don't know why they made him continue coming back after surgery. I barely have any information at all. That's why i have so many questions.
My dad had a history of bad back problems, and a few heart problems here and there. I don't believe medication relived any of the pain. I really don't have any other information besides that. And it's really hard to get anyone to tell me anything about it, since noone really likes talking about it.
In the UK, we have something called the 'data protection act'. If any personal details regarding a person are on a computer system, that person has the right to see them at any time. Hand written records are treated differently.
Also, in the UK a GP has the right to request copies of any hospital documentation and the reasons are obvious. Without all the releveant data, how can a GP continue to ensure your health is kept as high as possible.
If family and friends don't like to talk about it, approach your GP and tell him/her it's causing you a lot of stress and affecting your health. Maybe he/she will find the answers you are seeking, or at least advise you on the best way to obtain that information.
A non-treating GP doesn't have standing to inquire into a non-patient's medical treatment or physical and mental health  without a court order.  Before there can be a court order there has to be relevant legal issues accepted by a judge as worthy of an invasion of another person's privacy rights.  Without a court order one can only image the choas created in one form or another!. For instance someone may want to get a copy of an employer's health record on a fishing expedition for a lawsuit of unlawful dismissal, etc.

You may be able to get a court order, but that would require representation of an attorney who would want to investigate on some legal grounds.  If you are an administrator of a Will or legal standing in a Will, that would enable you to get private information regarding the deceased's mental, physical health.  Otherwise you may have to wait until your family members are over any feelings of guilt, whatever, and can/will discuss the matter.  If there are legal issues, you do not want to wait very long before seeing attorney...probably within a year would be appropriate if there is a legal problem.  Consider the cause of death is not clear, you may have standing to review medical history.
Thank God I live in the UK lol
"Thank God I live in the UK lol "
American law has its basis in the Old English Law...that is elementary knowledge of the judicial system.   Additionally,  it is common sense that an individual or entity not have access to someone's medical record without a legal right to be determined by judicial review of the circumstances.  If you can't see the ramification of open access to anyone's medical history, then you have lived in a sheltered environment and someone is looking out for your best interest.
It seems your answer is to play the emotion card again....it  is nonsense to state someone's medical records should be released because if it isn't released to a particular individual there will be medical consequences. Law isn't based on emotion, it is based fairness. You should be embarrassed on reflection!:) God Bless
You do ramble on with utter nonsense at times. Our laws have 'evolved' and to suit the requirements of society. In 1948 we founded the national health service which is brilliant. Everyone who is working contributes to a fund which pays for every race, class etc. If a poor person walks into any hospital, they will receive the same care as anyone else and doesn't have to worry about insurance or how much money they have. I find nothing embarrassing about a caring system for all. From what I've been following on the news, Obama wants to make changes to your health system to be the same way. On our news coverage, many people were interviewed asking their opinions and many said "I am not happy about paying extra taxes, I already pay for MY insurance". Emotion plays a big role actually in fairness. Emotion is life and without it we would be robots. Emotions help us to decide what's right and what's wrong.
With regards to data being accessable, try reading my posts. What I actually said was, if a computer system has data on it about ME, then I have the right to see that data. This is common sense, I don't want false information about me on computers. The ONLY other person who can demand access to hospital records is my GP. How should I be embarrassed about this? common sense says it is very efficient. If my GP wants to prescribe a medication but requires data from the hospital, why would I want to wait and hope for a court order?
I am not putting down american people, in fact some friends of mine are american. It's governments who need to be changed.
Maybe you should take reading lessons.
QUOTE:"You do ramble on with utter nonsense at times. Our laws have 'evolved' and to suit the requirements of society"

You should study the history of your country.  Ever hear of the Magna Carter (1215) and its significance.  Ever hear of the constitutional right of privacy.  Your W.A. Parent considers the following:  right to be left alone, the right to exercise autonomy or control over significant personal matters (that includes medical records) the right to limit access to the self.  English Constitution privacy rights.  You need an interpreter!...

Quote: "Everyone who is working contributes to a fund which pays for every race, class etc. If a poor person walks into any hospital, they will receive the same care as anyone else and doesn't have to worry about insurance or how much money they have".

Same in this country.  Inaddition, medical assistance to non-citizens and their family.  Again you don't know what you are talking about. Not relevant and another attempt to change the subject.

Quote: "What I actually said was, if a computer system has data on it about ME, then I have the right to see that data."

>>>>This what you said no getting around it:....>>>>QUOTE: "If I was in your shoes, I would ask your GP to request a copy of the surgical notes. Then you can go through these with your GP. If family and friends don't like to talk about it, approach your GP and tell him/her it's causing you a lot of stress and affecting your health. Maybe he/she will find the answers you are seeking, or at least advise you on the best way to obtain that information".

You are so embarrassed you are now attempting to spin it. You are suggesting the OP to fake a stress related medical problem saying that is what you would do!!...use the ole emotional trick, and I believe that is what you would do. And without success I would say.

Quote "From what I've been following on the news, Obama wants to make changes to your health system to be the same way. On our news coverage, many people were interviewed asking their opinions and many said "I am not happy about paying extra taxes, I already pay for MY insurance".

You don't know what you are talking about, and you do not have an understanding of the political issues.  It is beside the point of the OP's question, and an attempt to change the subject.  But if you don't know it, there are individuals leaving their country and coming to the US for medical care, but I digress.

Quote: "Emotion plays a big role actually in fairness. Emotion is life and without it we would be robots. Emotions help us to decide what's right and what's wrong".

>>>> Morality is what is right or wrong conduct and not based on emotions (you make yourself an exception).  For instance a criminal judge would have a robotic response to the conduct of an individual being tried for a crime in jhis (her) courtroom.  How would you like to have a judge look down at you and sentence you for being a short, bald headed, fat, and in many ways retarded and sentence you to prison.  Emotions have no influence for what is right or wrong...just as it is wrong for you to suggest to the OP to fake a medical condition in an attempt to obtain his father's medical records because that is what you would do!

You ramble so much, the thoughts you write have to collated to provide a text on the relevant subject. Look how I had to piece your response from one post.  You keep changing the subject, but there is no denying what you said and what you meant.  The text of the OP's question was his father's medical records.  WE all know one has the right to access to his own medical records.  Don't get stupid. What you said, "If I was in your shoes, I would ask your GP to request a copy of the surgical notes (father's)".  The problem is not what you said, although it indicates character issues to suggest one lie about his health in order to manipulate the system, its the extend you go to deny. I don't appreciate your ad hominem attacks, and won't reply to your rude remarks.