Heart Disease Community
myofascial therapy

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

myofascial therapy

What is a myofascial trigger point therapy
Avatar n tn
I am a physical therapist (although not one to specialize in these things, so bear with me), so i will attempt to explain as best i can.  Please let me know why you are asking this question on a heart forum...I assume someone has determined that your "chest pain" is non-cardiac in nature.

Myofascial therapy is a line of PT which attempts to manipulate (very gently) a very thin layer of fascia (that's like cobwebs in the body) that connects every organ, muscle, nerve, etc.  Our bodies are full of it, and some believe that with medical problems, that fascia can get restricted, leading to pain.  The therapist manually feels (by placing hands on the skin) which direction the restriction is in, and then stretches the fascia.  It is a wonderful technique, and works well on people that have failed all other forms of pain management, or for people who have pain from unexplained origin.  For example, someone who has had a lot of abdominal surgery might have belly or back pain that is unexplained.  all the surgeries, however, can lead to scar tissue formation, and fascia restrictions.  this type of therapy can help.

Now, on to trigger points.  These things are amazing.  Janet Truvell mapped out the entire body and the locations of all our "trigger points"...they are these hard knots in our muscles, and they can refer pain.  When you press on them properly (even just lightly), it hurts like heck!  but, prolonged pressure can cause the trigger point to "release", thereby alleviating the pain.

You will want to find yourself a good "manual" PT...someone who does a lot of hands-on.

I hope this helps.

steph
StephPT

Thanks for the clear explanation. Suzy may have asked about this because supdav posted the following on the Heart Doctor-to-patient forum on 3/4:

"Has anyone tried myofascial trigger point therapy? It has been working for my Afib. Once a Dr shows you the key point(s) and some simple stretches of the chest muscles the afib stops and one feels much better overall. I had some severe afib, basically incapacitating."

I just assumed it was the latest inane homeopathic fad and wouldn't actually help my chronic afib (except as a placebo). So I ignored the post. Do you think there might be a basis for his claim? Certainly uses of carotid sinus massage to terminate episodes of SVT are well known.  

Tony
Avatar n tn
StephPT, I am looking for a therapist that specializes in myofacial therapy. I live in a rather small city and have not had much luck. I wonder if I could find one at a pain management center?

I have CFS and FM in addition to heart disease. Thanks in advance, and sorry to get off topic but I knew you knew what you were talking about regarding MT :)

Regards,

Goldie