Heart Disease Expert Forum
narrowed basilar artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

narrowed basilar artery

A recent MRA indicated that I have a "very thin (narrowed) distal basilar artery which may be indicating basilar stenosis."  I was wondering if you could tell me more about this. Could it be problematic? The report also noted "a very tortuous appearance of the second portion of the left middle cerebral artery." I would appreciate any information you could share on these descriptions. Thank you!
A basilar stenosis means that one of the major arteries supplying blood to the brain is narrowed. An angiogram may be needed for confirmation. The significance of this stenosis, and the likelihood of it causing a stroke or mini-stroke, depends on how well your brain is receiving blood from other major arteries to the brain. A neurologist would be able to sort out these issues.
Tortuous just means that the artery has a lot of curves to it, and is of no particular significance.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Basilar Artery was started.