Heart Disease Expert Forum
neck veins
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

neck veins

I am 21 years old and last year had an echo, stress test and ekg and a holter everything was normal the doc said my heart would speed up or slow done for a beat or two but not to worry since it made me nervous he put me on inderal for 3 months then took me off my question is i have a vein on each side of my neck that sticks out and goes to right below my ear area i heard that distended neck veins are very bad so should i have this looked at or is it harmless and normal?
Thank You.
Related Discussions
Dear Marrari,

these are your external jugular veins and are completely normal.  We often use the internal jugular vein to assess increase pressure in the heart.  These are the veins that are bad to have distended.

YOur veins are perfectly normal and harmless.
6 Comments
Blank
For most of my life my veins in my neck distend badly when I bend over etc.... It looks scary but I think after 10 years something bad would have already happened to me. Try to relax. I think you will be just fine.
Blank
Your right!  Thanks for your comments.
Blank
PS: If you are still concerned you can ask for a Carotid Artery test, they do this by looking at your veins and how they carry blood. It is like getting a sonogram of your neck.I had one a few years back because of the same scenario I mentioned above in my previous post.

:-) 's To doctor
Blank
This carotid artery test tells you nothing about the veins however.
Blank
My 68 year old aunt had a sonogram (or Doppler Ultrasound) on her neck, she noticed the right side reading was 855, and the left was 118.  What does this mean?

Thank You,
Frank Ferreira
Blank
A related discussion, tight pulling in my neck was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank