nitro pills
I had a stent placed in my heart 2 years ago.  I am doing great; however, my doctor has prescribed nitro pills for me saying I should carry them with me all the time just as a precautionary measure.  Is this normal procedure?
Did he just prescribe them?  I had a stent put in in May and they gave me the nitro pills then and asked me to keep them with me.  I haven't used them, though.  I think having them is normal protocol.  You probably won't need them, but you'll have them in case you do.  Don't worry.  Just get used to carrying them with you.
It doesn't seem to be a normal  procedure to have nitro readily available (on person) unless one has chest pain without exertion.  I take a slow acting nitrate prior to going to the gym for a workout.  I do have sublingual nitro for fast acting relief but almost never use them...going on 6 years now. I have never been told to carry nitro, and I have a 72% blocked circumflex.

The advantage of having a sent implant is the avoidance of taking nitro....there shouldn't be any angina! However, follow you doctor's instructions.
WHen I had my first stent put in, I was given a nitro spray to carry around. I never used it.
After my bypass, I was given nothing. After my recent stents I was given nothing. Although you had a stent put in, was it noted that you had other problems with the arteries? other blockages?
Medication, stent implants and CABG treat the SYMPTOMS nothing else.  If symptoms are not eradicated with a procedure, there is a failure of the procedure, incorrect diagnosis, concomitant unrecognized occlusion of other vessels, or variant angina (spasms).

If medication effectively treats angina and one is able to tolerate nitro (some individuals opt for a stent because intolerance...severe headaches), then medication is appropriate.  The question asked was is it normal to take nitro after a stent implant?  The answer is no, but there are circumstances as noted.
I went through a very aggressive period of Cardiac Artery Disease, and I'll give you a different view.

I have found that blockages can happen in a New York Minute.  My Cardiac disease was very aggressive, and I developed new blockages often for a period of time, and I do believe nitro saved me several times as new blockages occured.  I would recommend strongly that anyone experiencing aggressive CAD carry nitro.  It's cheap, and a life saver.  Headaches go away, but heart blockages kill.  Nitro opens the arteries, and can save your life.