Heart Disease Community
no sternum

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

no sternum

my baby is 6 months now and was born without a sternum - his doctors want to add a piece of metal to top of ribs to hold them together until his next surgery, his shoulders fall back and the gap between his ribs can spread far apart.
i already know that my son, Naseem is a miracle, he is one in a million. i have not found any other case such as his. so, i dont know what will happen next, he has had 4 operations and will undergo several more.

my question is has anyone had surgery to connect thier ribs inplace of a sternum??? what should we look foward to?? how long will this take?? what would the recovery be like??
I have never heard of this, but I certainly hope and pray that your baby is OK.  
My sister is 6 1/2 months pregnant , and found out that her son to be will also be borned without a sternum.  I've done research and came across your child.  I reveiwed the news program about your son's  6 hour surgery, and how successful it was.  I also retrieved the Doctors name who performed the surgery. I'm glad to hear that he is doing wonderful.

My question to you is "What does my sister need to expect in a situation like this?", also "how old was your son when he was allowed to go home, and how was his heart protected. Last question is did the doctors tell you prior to delivery that they will be able to help your son?

Avatar n tn
i have a friend who just turned 23 and he was born with out a sternum.  he is fine and in great shape.  he works and lives his life like everyone else.  i never would have thought he had a plastic sternum.
I was born with out my sternum. 37 years ago. I do not remember much but I do know that I only had 1 surgery and that was at birth. The details are not known to me. I have never been to another doctor for any issues regarding my chest...until now.
my sister's daughter was born without Manubrium above sternum, she is 4 days old, i have not found any other case, we dont know what to do, can any one help me... please...
I am the great grandpa living without a sternum due to infection after heart surgery and there is a few of us now, over the last 12 years are so, before that the doctors were trying to replace the sternum. First it is cartledge, not bone. Second one can live a full life with out it. But if there is any way for a person to have the ribs tied and heart protected with a shield of some kind, with out complications, such as more than one surgery, do it.
I hear your son is doing fine and that is good. Under things to be aware of is pain in the chest muscles's, back pain, more movement than normal for the ribs, and ribs are easier to crack due to the lack of proper support.
I would think it would be hard to replace a sternum a sternum cartledge with plastic and or metal with out having these side effects. God be with you.
There was just a procedure done in a VA hospital in Ca that replaced a sternum with metal plates .......PM e for more details

Greg a