Heart Disease Expert Forum
normal RVSP but still "borderline elevated PAP"??
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

normal RVSP but still "borderline elevated PAP"??

can you explain this?? I had an echo done, RVSP of 32.  All values otherwise normal, except the following:
RV 29mm
LA/Vol index 14mm
pulmonic velocity 1.1m/s
mitral E velocity .99m/s (E/A ratio was 1.1)
E .089cm/s
e/e 11

the comments section said "borderline elevated pulmonary artery pressure."  Does this mean something in terms of pulmonary hypertension?  Can this be caused by being slightly overweight because my doctor said it might improve if I lost weight and/or got in better shape.  Confused and also worried.
Hi ChesterCookie,

It's always hard to answer these questions without seeing your echocardiogram myself.  That being said, I'll give you some thoughts.

First off, my ability to comment on your pulmonary pressures is based on how good the echocardiogram is (basically if the images were clear, tracings were accurate, etc).  Assuming the echocardiogram was a good one, I'll decipher what is relevant to your question.

Your right ventricle is within the normal range in terms of size.  Different echocardiography labs have different cutoffs for elevated pulmonary artery pressures (i.e. pulmonary hypertension).  The RVSP is used to diagnose pulmonary hypertension with echocardiography.  Your RVSP would actually be considered normal in some echocardiography labs.  Mild elevation in RVSP is usually considered to be  35-44.  That being said, if anything, yours is very mildly elevated.  

I would not get terribly worried but focus on the things you can do: stop smoking (if you smoke), lose weight (exercise and diet), make sure you do not have undiagnosed sleep apnea.  I'm not sure why you had the echo performed but further testing would really depend on what symptoms you're having (if any).

Hope this helps!
CCFHeartMD20
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity