Heart Disease Expert Forum
nose bleeds

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

nose bleeds
My mother is 63 years old and is on blood pressure medication as well medication for arterial spasms.  Sunday afternoon her nose began to bleed heavily out of the blue.(no trauma, etc.) She drove herself to the hospital where the emergency room staff was able to stop the bleeding.  She was sent home with a packed nose and told not to remove it for two days.  She told me that some of the blood coming out was stringy and clumpy looking, almost like that of clots similiar to menstruation.  She has no problems with her sinuses or any upper respitory problems.  Could this have anything to do with her HTN or spasms? Her doctor has been very vauge with her about it and we are seeking information.

Thank you for your time,
Stephanie Robinson
The nosebleeds are not due to any arterial spasm. Hypertension can occasionally lead to nosebleeds; more often, it prolongs the duration of a nosebleed triggered by something else. In any case,  it would be important to keep her blood pressure under good control with medications. If the nosebleeds continue, further evaluation by an ENT doctor would be indicated.