Heart Disease Expert Forum
pacemaker problems
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

pacemaker problems

I'm in my early 60s and my heart rate has always been abnormally slow, presumably because I was an ultra-marathoner into my 30s and have continued to exercise vigorously regularly since then.  Earlier this year, because I started occasionally to feel mildly lightheaded and had two dizzy spells for a few seconds, my doctor recommended a pacemaker.  Immediately after implantation I felt better, as though my brain was now getting significantly more oxygen, but the pacemaker radically disrupted my sleep pattern.  I would fall asleep quickly but wake up abruptly just an hour to two later with adrenaline flowing, unable to get back to sleep.  Eventually my doctor set the pacemaker relatively low, at 45/35, and that helped with the sleep problem.  But then the pacemaker readouts started showing occurrences of atrial fibrillation, and efforts to deal with that have created new problems.  For example, beta blockers make it impossible for me to exercise anywhere near my normal level, and the DDI feature makes me feel pressure in my lower throat.  That seems to be related to a mild difficulty in breathing and periodic belching, both of which are completely new to me.