Heart Disease Expert Forum
pain in cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

pain in cold

I am  a 34 year old female and have been experiencing crushing pain on the left side of my chest whenever I am walking in the cold over the past 3 months.  I have seen a doctor and have had a normal ecg, stress test and echo.  When warm, I do not experience this pain at all.  The doctor said that is could be vasoconstrictive angina, but that it is unlikely.  However, since the pain is continuing I have been just started on nitropine to see if this helps alleviate the problem.  What do you think is wrong?  Should i be worried?
Milosh,

Thanks for the post.

It's hard to tell. You are in an age group that coronary disease yould be unlikely unless you had a STRONG family history. Sometimes, colder weather may precipitate asthma or reactive airway disease. This can also present as chest pain. I would also consider musculoskeletal and GI causes. I would discuss your symptoms with your internist.

good luck
That's curious.  Ever since I was little, as far back as I can remember (I'm talking 5 or 6 years old) I would get a tightening, squeezing, burning pain in my chest any time I exerted myself in the cold - and heaven forbid I try to run in the cold - OUCH!!!

No one could ever explain why, and I've had all the heart tests.  I wonder what causes that.
The medicine I have been given is nicorandil!  I got confused with a med I used to give as a nurse many moons ago!!
Sometimes cold conditions can trigger angina or vasospastic responses in people with CAD.  Before my angina was well controlled, going outside in the cold would trigger a response for me, which was very painful.  I'd wear a scarf to help.
Thanks for your responses.  The nicorandil seems to have stopped the pain when out in the cold (so far), but I have a fierce headache and feel terrible.  Paracetamol and ibuprofen do little to help.  Should I persevere with the drug?
A related discussion, Chest(heart) pain in cold weather was started.