Heart Disease Community
pain in the middle of chest

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

pain in the middle of chest

I am a 30 year old female.  A smoker.  5'4", about 165pds.

I started having a pain in the middle of my chest this morning when I woke up.  It's a pain I can't really describe.  It has come and gone all throughout the day and it doesn't matter if I'm sitting, resting, or working.  I'm feeling a little tired also.  I've also noticed that in the past month or so my arm gets a sore feeling. (left)  I assumed it was from my job as a janitor.  Also it happens if i'm inhaling or exhaling..it's not too picky!  My chest is not sore to the touch.

I've never had indegistion before, and it was happening before I ate anything today.  I seem to be able to function normally in all aspects.  But I've been told by a few doctors that I have a very high tolerance for pain.

I don't want to go to the emergency room and be told I have bad gas or something, but this is a new pain I have never felt before, so I don't know what to do.  What could it possiably be?
Avatar n tn
Hi, the pain you are describing sounds very much like mine. I have been to the hospital several times with the pain, have had ECG and chest X rays all ok. I am being treated for Gastric Reflux ( too much acid). The pain I get is in the middle of the chest, sometimes across the chest, sometimes in my back, sometimes down left arm too. I think it is alsways best to get it checked out though. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
There are lots of red flags in your statement. First, you are a smoker, overweight (respectfully), arm pain, tired. Please go see your doctor. Especially in women when we have heart attacks its usually atypical. A stroke could be imminent, are you on birth control pills? I would demand an EKG and then a treadmill. If you came into our ER, we would do all that including blood work. It could be nothing at all, but you have alot of info that makes for red flags...