Heart Disease Community
palpitation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

palpitation

I don't understand what the problem is.  I have had irregular heart beat, dizzyness, out of breath, tachichardia, high blood pressure, sometimes I feel that my heart stops while other times I feel it skips a beat.  Scary!  My doctor gave prescribed me lunesta and some other pill for high blood pressure 25 mg.  I am supposed to go on Wednesday for EKG,Stress test and some other tests. All symptoms started two years ago and they became mild when I stopped smoking.  5 months ago I started smoking again and ofcourse symptoms are severe.  I also drink on weekends when I go out.  Any comments? Please help.
I think your options are clear:
1. Quit smoking now.  You have a 50% less chance of having a heart attack after 24 hours of not smoking!  This will greatly improve your life.

2.  Work out everyday.  I too have palpitations.  I was having 100 a day.  Then I started working out, running, doing lots of cardio and they stopped.  I may have 1-5 palps a week now MAX.  It is recommended that people get at least 30min of cardio a day, and I tell you...this is greatly imporved my mental and physical health.

3. Drinking in moderation is okay.  Drink Wine, its good for your heart, circulation, and has lots of antioxidants.  Getting loaded every weekend will catch up to you!

4.  Limit caffiene, dont drink coffee!  

5.  Eat more fiber, and modify your diet to eat more healthy things.

I hope this helps.  I had so many palps, i made several of these changes and it greatly helped.  I drink wine, limit caffiene, eat tons more fiber, and workout everyday...and my palps are almost nonexistent! :)
Thank U for your response.  I forgot to mention that my doctor told me I also have poor circulation, about the smoking I know I will quit but I have to mentally prepare myself.  I can't lie I love beer, I don't know anything about wine so I never buy it. Any suggestions on a good wine?  Also forgot to mention that last week I had an episode of skipped beats it lasted for like 2 hours and my heart rate went up to 120 bpm. I also notice that for some reason after dinner I also have some more episodes.  It is so frustrating!
Hi, do you drink red or white wine or both?  Whenever I drink red I always get palps.  I do sometimes with white as well, but not as frequently.  I never get "drunk" and only have 2 glasses max, but usually only one.  
Hello again,  I don't Y but my irregular and palpitations go away when I drink.  Has this happened to anyone?
I too used to love beer.  Good ole college years.  Learning about wine is something you can easily do the more you drink it and aquire what tastes you like.  I love french and italian wines, mostly reds.  Try a few, go to a fine wine store and ask about some preferred types.  

I too used to have episodes of skipped beats for hours and hours.  Here is the problem, once you start having them...you worry about it...anxiety builds and it gets worse.  I also had problems after dinner with palps.  All I can say is, one day I decided im not going to live like this..and started changing habits.  I workout far more, I eat healthier, cut out salt, drink wine instead of liqour or beer...there is so much you can do.  Go to wheat bread, eat reduced fat and fat free foods, when you go out, get subway over Burger king...it all helps!  I dont know if this will help you in the long run, but its what i did and it improved greatly.  Remember...worrying only makes it worse... once you start concetration on working out, eating well, doing other things...you begin to forget about palps...palps ran my life for 5 months, i was depressed and affraid i was going to die..but i made changes...and my life has improved.  Hope it helps!

Now to fearfactor,
I drink mostly red, but only based on personal preference.  Both types have great benefits, but reds seem to be referenced more in literature about its health benefits.  I have no idea why youd get palps with red wine.  It may be one of those things that happened once, now you worry about it when you drink reds, and sure enough...here come the palps.  For instance, i game online regularly, and i would have palps everytime i started playing...drove me nuts!  It was like, palps by association.  Our minds play terrible tricks on us, thats a fact! :)
QUIT SMOKING.