Heart Disease Expert Forum
palpitations - why can't they diagnose anything????

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I am a 38 year old female who has really been through the ringer getting my heart checked out.  I have been for ultrasounds, EKG's, two unsuccessful ablations and probably any other testing that you can imagine.  The doctors say that I have a structurally normal heart and not to worry about what I feel.

I have been diagnosed with PVC's, short runs of SVT, and non-sustained v-tach (which I don't think happens too frequently).  I have been on numerous beta-blockers which I do not do well on and I still feel every skipped beat that I get.  I find I get really bad headaches and my blood pressure is super low 80/56 when I am beta blockers.  I naturally have low blood pressure so I think the beta blockers make it even lower.

Why can't they find out why my heart acts up all of the time?  I constantly feel skips, a fluttering sensation and sometimes it just starts pounding for no reason at all!!!!  I can't stand it anymore.  There is not a day that goes by when I don't feel something funny going on in there and it really scares me.  Is there not some operation that can fix what is going on????  Since they have found all of these things that are happening (ie: the PVC's - approximately 10 a day, but really hard ones, svt and non-sustained v-tach), why do they tell me not to worry?????  They have said I could go on an anti-arrythmic if I wanted to but it was not necessary.  I DO NOT want to go on an anti-arrythmic, I am too scared to go on it.

What else can I do?  I am driving my doctor crazy, I go back to her probably once per month and tell her I can't take this heart issue anymore.  She is always very nice to me but I am at the point I am embarrased to go see her because she says she does not know where else to send me.  

What can I do??  Am I driving myself crazy with this.  I really feel there is something wrong in there but everyone tells me there is not and a lot of people get weird sensations.
Dear Ingrid,
I'm not sure I have anything to add.  It sounds like these palpitations have been well examined and are not dangerous.  If they are bothering you so much though perhaps you should consider an antiarrhythmic such as flecanide. These drugs are successful in suppressing these sort of arrhythmias.  There is some increased risk taking one but the benefits in your case may outweigh the risks.  Just something to think about and discuss with your doctor.  Best wishes.
I really sympathise with you  Ingrid and I can relate to a lot of your frustration you are experiencing. Ive had a heart problem for 2.5 years now which is a racing heart of up to 200 or more just when it feels like it and I get a burning or cold feeling in my stomach or chest and feel really scared because 1.You dont know why its happening and 2.Every time you see a doctor they just say "dont worry its not life threatening" or whatever. I would like to know why it happens and what they can do about it not "take these betablockers for the rest of your life!" My dad and all his side of the family have heart conditions but with me,the doctors say there is nothing they can see thats wrong.I know its not right and can spend an hour nearly passing out with it and then the anxiety that follows because of what youve just experienced-I hope they get to the bottom of things with you.Good Luck.
Ingrid

All I can say is I have experienced some of the things your are talking about.  This includes PVC's, SVT, and short runs of v-tach, and short runs of atrial fib.  I also had all the tests and my heart is structurally normal.  I had RF ablation to correct the SVT, but the PVC's will always be a part of my life. I also feel few beats of atrial fib almost every day.  Ingrid, do you know some people with normal hearts have thousands of PVC's every day.  You cannot let this control your life.  You have to find something to take your mind off of it.  For me it is running.  With all of my heart concerns I started running and now run very long distances to relieve stress.  I am still alive and will not let this thing control me.  I don't plan on dropping dead, but if I do so be it.  I might get cancer, I might get hit by a car, I might live to 80 and need diapers.  Whatever happens, I have decided to move on.  Good luck to you Ingrid.
Ingrid,

I can relate to what you are saying.  I had SVT, PVC's and non sustained VT.  I had 3 abaltions and I also can't handle beta blockers.  Of the three abaltion, the only thing fixed was the SVT.  I don't want to go on an anti-arrythmic drugs either.  They are way to dangerous.  But I can't live like this.  It seems that sometimes doctors think because it likely won't kill you, it's no big deal.  Well, they don't know what happens to the quality of life.  The good news for me is I finally saw a doctor who is pretty sure he can fix this. I don't want to plug another hospital on this site.  But e-mail me at ***@****, and I'll tell you about it.

P.S
How many abaltions are too many?  How many have you all had?

Ben

dan,
i love your attitude!!!...i wish i could have some of that!
im working on it.
I had these also when I was younger and I occasionally get them now.  No one could find anything wrong.

The more I thought about them..the worse I got.  
Twenty years have passed and guess what, I am still alive.
I am on no meds..nor have I had any procedures.

I think of other things when they occur.

Good Luck.
Ingred

I am a 45 year old male with heart disease and had a double bypass 2 years ago. I have had PVC's all my life to the point where I lay in bed and actualy get amused by them because they are so erratic. I have been told that PVC's are not unusual with many many people and not to worry, so I don't.  Even the heart disease is put on the back burner once you get your head around it.

Live right and live happy and don't worry about something you don't have control over. If you have been checked out by Doctors and they assure you your Okay then carry on.

Good Luck
John
Ingrid,

I too have these PVC's.  It naturally concerned me, I fly for a living in the military.  Believe me, if there was a problem with this, I would not be flying today. So, I figured, why not let what happens to me happen. In other words, why worry about something which you have no control over. Sure you fell uncomfortable, scared, alone, but the truth is you are not alone in your condition, you don't need to be scared (if your doctor has checked you out), and you need to get over worrying about the "uncomfortable" feeling. If you don't exercise regularly, i.e. 3-4 times a week for at least 20 min's, then you should start. Just walk somewhere for 10 min's, turn around and come home. As time goes on, increase your pace (if you want) or maybe start jogging for portions. The point is, don't be sedentary! If you are concerned this much about "dying" or having a heart condition, then you should have the motivation to exercise. Good luck.
I have had PVC's, salvos, SVT, and all sorts of weird flutterings,jumps, and skips for the past 16 years. I read something on this Forum a few months ago about magnesium and immediately tried it myself, even though I was a bit skeptical. I have had excellent results.  It hasn't cured my problem completely as I still have short runs of SVT, and some PVC's.  But, the PVC's and other strange beats have decreased a minimum of 70%. I never had these results on any of the beta blockers I tried in the past.  I have also had every test imaginable and my doctor is at a loss of what to do for me.  My doctor is encouraged that the magnesium has been helping me so much and has encouraged me to continue.  I have done much reading on the subject and have found that many are magnesium deficient, to include a good majority of the people who suffer from mitral valve prolapse.  Since being on the magnesium, there has also been a major decrease in my anxiety symptoms. I know where you are coming from.  I was to the point where these things were totally ruining my quality of life.  I now feel that I can at least manage them.  Most health books will tell you about the benefits of magnesium.  You might want to at least read up on this and talk to your doctor about it.
I also know what you are going through,  I have had the same heart pvc's and the whole 10 yards... It turned into atrial fib attacks that send me to e.r. several times .   the last time I was in flordia and spent 3 days in the hospital on my vacation, well I guess you know that upset me.  Then when I got home I had another one and this time I stayed in the hospital and let my doctor try a antiarrhimia  drug on me called ( tambacor) I Bless the medication that I take when I take it and to me this has been a the greatest thing I ever did,  I am totally free of any pvc's and feel good some times I get a little tired and minor side effects but all and all it is worth it to me.  If you have a good doctor that follows you  they will find the right drug for you if that does'nt work.... I am now thinking of a ablation that us suppose to be 99% cure rate.  Why i am considering it is because of the cost of the drug it is very expense and I don't have crip. insurance.... If I did I think I would stay on it... in the long run it is a quality life now. and that is important to me....   Good luck   Jane
Damn it... I would really like to know why so many of us are feeling the same symptoms and the doctors can tell us we are fine!!! I am going to try the magnesium... right now I am open to try just about anything to help the problem. Thanks everyone. I would love to hear from any of you who may be able to provide additional information. I have more trust for the "people" who experience these same symptoms than for the doctors. Please email me at: ***@**** .. Thanks PS - to the person who supplied the magnesium suggestion or anyone else who may know... What foods are magnesium supplied in naturally?
Here's some info on magnesium that I came across that I thought might be helpful:

Magnesium

Recommended daily allowance: 400 mg (milligrams).

Symptoms of deficiency: Nausea, muscle weakness, irritability and electrical changes in the heart muscle, confusion and delirium.

Benefits: May help prevent heart attack. Eases PMS. Beneficial for high blood pressure, heart arrhythmia, asthma and kidney stones.

Good food sources: Brown rice, avocados, spinach, haddock, oatmeal, baked potatoes, navy beans, lima beans, broccoli, yogurt, bananas, soybeans, bran, nuts.

Cautions: People with kidney or heart problems should check with their doctor before taking magnesium supplements.

Substance interactions: Decreases absorption of magnesium: vitamins A, E and K. Magnesium reduces absorption of ketoconazole and tetracycline. Vitamin D may raise magnesium level too high.

Signs of toxicity: Vomiting, extremely low blood pressure, extreme muscle weakness, difficulty breathing, heartbeat irregularity. Discontinue and consult doctor immediately.

* Very important for cell energy production. Influences calcium levels inside cells. Helps transport sodium and potassium across cell membranes. Aids bone growth.

* Helps transmit electrical impulses across nerves and muscles, which generates a neuromuscular contraction, causing your muscles to flex. Absence of magnesium will cause muscles to cramp.

* The body loses magnesium due to excessive calcium intake, stress, prescription asthma drugs, diuretics (water pills), digitalis and other cardiovascular medications, alcohol and caffeine. Diabetics lose magnesium through the kidneys.

* Several types of magnesium including gluconate, oxide, and chloride. Magnesium gluconate may be taken on an empty stomach; it is absorbed more quickly than the other forms; less may be taken due to better absorbability.

* May help in the treatment of alcoholism.

* Most diabetics are deficient in vitamins and minerals, including magnesium. These deficiencies may reflect a reduced ability to absorb and utilize nutrients.

I think I might try this option also!!!!
Hi, as all the others I too have PVC's and infrequent non-sustained V-tach. It is the most frightening and miserable thing I have ever experienced. I am getting ready to have elective surgery and worry that I am going to have problems with the anesthesia and/or pain meds because of the PVC's. I try to get my mind off of the PVC's but when they come in a row---it really scares me. I have had them for 7 years, but it seems they are getting worse. I started on the magnesium about 2 weeks ago but haven't experienced a decrease yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to improve with the magnesium? Well prayers for all of us with PVC's.
I am a 25 year old female who also suffers most of the problems you are all desribing and I am also getting the " nothings wrong..just relax" attitude from my doctor. I find it very difficult to relax when I feel my heart fluttering around like a moth flying round a light bulb. My quality of life has dropped drastically over the last 2 years and I find it very difficult to just enjoy my children when most days Im thinking about how they will cope after my heart finally gives up. At the moment Ive started taking beta blockers ( after a week no real improvemt) and I have researched some natural remedies and have come up with the folowing. magnesium, hops & hawthorn berry are all supposed to be beneficial. Ive also heard good reports about a herbal product called Matol, I have ordered a bottle and It should be arriving this week. Hope it helps. Im so sick of my heart being the focal point of my existence. I would like to go jsut one day without the need to take my pulse. I finally badgered my doc into giving me a referal to a cardiologist. Guess I will wait and see. :/
***@****
Hello everyone,

I have had a miserable day (heartwise). I don't really know the terminology for everything but I now know exactly what happens to me. I have been taking my pulse for a good part of the day trying to "catch it" in action. I did! What happens is my heart is definitely skipping a beat and then the next beat comes in a big "pound" causing the next few beats after that to speed up a bit. It then regulates to normal and a few minutes goes by and it happens again. It is totally unpredictable. Sometimes an hour will go by with nothing and then the next hour it will happen every few minutes. I am also so tired of this being the focus of my day. I cannot concentrate on anything. I am extremely preoccupied with this horrible sensation. I will not have health insurance with my new job until October 1st but as soon as I get it I am marching in to the doctor and demanding a holter monitor. I don't even know that there is much that can be done for this condition. It comes and goes and I want to know why. I will have months with rarely an incident and then a month or two were it happens so often I cannot focus on anything. I have two young children and my biggest fear in life is something happening to me... what will happen to them. All I can do is pray and try to believe that one day this problem will leave me for good. Yesterday I tried starting the potassium and magnesium. PLEASE WORK!

Thank you all for being there and sharing ...

Lenore
Hello Lenore, there are also other things that can cause
the heart rhythm to act up, i.e. thyroid, anemia, like a low B12 count, etc.

Pls. bring this up to your doctor when you see him after 10/1/00.  I had to research my symptoms and asked the doc for specific testings.

Good Luck to You.
hello everyone...
i too suffer....and i an a medical student
i have recently explored the magnesium thing and after
my own study and consultation with some of my med
profs., i have come to the conclusion that unless a magnesium
diff. is the root of your problem (tests will easily show this),
that extra magnesium will not help. if so, study (and MANY have been done) does not show that extra Mg has any effect on frequency or severity. some may recieve a placebo effect, and when you really think about it, if extra Mg was the silver bullet, wouldnt your MD have suggested it to you as a possible therapy?
just a thought
med student
Hi everyone, after reading all your comments, I  too as you have probably guess, is dealing with these stinking symptons on a daily basis. My problems first started when I was 33. I'm now 39.
I have been going to a cardiologist since july of 1998. Since september of 1999 I have been on toprol. I started on 25mg. a day, but now I take 50mg twice daily. The first few days after I started the toprol I felt really tired. But after a week or so , that went away. My symptoms first started with a rapid heart rate, then the next thing I felt was fluttering, I also get which makes me, lets just say slightly nervous or I should really say enormously nervous, is I feel like a flutter then I dont know what it is exactly doing, wether my heart rate slows down or what, but then I cough on purpose and do something like walk fast or whatever, and then sometimes I feel like a warm flush up to my face, or it just feel like a hot flash, (but the hot flash feeling doesnt always happen when I get this event)and my heart rate goes from whatever it was doing to to a slightly fast rate(thats because of the toprol, before the toprol, when it went to the fast rate it, was really fast) back down to the normal rate, then the event is ususally over with. I dont know what it is that I experience, but that and my other symptons become more numerous around ovulation and the other time of the month.
Hi everyone. I had to get up out of bed because I couldn't stand feeling the tumbling in my chest anymore.  I figured let me type skipped beats in on the internet  and see what I get, well it sounds like my life story.  After years of crying and complaining to heart specialists and family doctor they finally convinced me to take Zoloft an anti-depressant.  I kept telling them I wasn't actually depressed but more anxious about the horrible fluttering, long pauses, hard come-back beats etc.  But at 35 I figured I was fixing to kick the bucket because it had gotten to the point that besides the bad (sometimes more than one in a row) skipped beats I was experiencing weird feelings when I was almost asleep.  Anyway after a few weeks on Zoloft, I was great, I am not kidding you, for about 5 years I was actually feeling normal.  I could lay down and read a book in peace, interact with my four children, laugh and really feel normal what a blessing!!!  Now about a week ago it (the weird beats) are back.  I'm falling into the panic mode again.  Rubbing my chest while trying to go to sleep and stupid things like that.  I thought Zoloft was my savior now I'm afraid again, but reading everyone else's comments really is helping me at this early hour this morning. I'm thinking maybe it's hormonal, always looking for an answer! Thanks to all.
valerie- your condition sounds like a classisc case of PSVT to me....look it up here on this site....a RF abation procedure could cure you completely!

charlet- anti-depressant drugs have a nasty habit of decreasing in effectiveness over time. Some patients are actually put on a revolving schedule of 2 or 3 different medications to offset the body's conditioning to a certain type of drug. it may require a larger dose or even a change to another drug (ie. paxil,prozac). id talk to your doc about changing drugs or upping your dose .

ITS DISCLAIMER TIME!!! Im not a doctor and in no way affiliated with the Cleavland Clinic or Med help Itrnl. so take my advice at your own risk.....there is everyone happy?
Hi to all,

All what I read describes what I actually feel. Lots of skipped beats and lots of conforting words from my doctor that nothing is abnormal. Actually I am now 42 and I had a heart attack at 39.Survived (proof I'm typing!). I have had those extra-systoles since a long time before my heart attack and they were bothering me alright then. After the attack they became scary to me. As I already said, my doctor made all possible tests, holter, stress test, blood tests (thyroid activity etc...). The last run of tests were on September 10,2000. He still claims there is nothing but due to my nagging (I really suffer from the crazy behavior of my heart who sometimes seems like dancing a mixture of samba and belly dancing!) my doctor prescribed an antiarrythmic drug: amiodarone (did anyone experienced it???).Anyway, I bought the drug and read the paper describing its composition ,side effects, etc...did'nt like that at all! I decided, to try magnesium and see. I will report my findings. Good luck to all.

Edgard, UAE
Hi friends,

I am trying to do my own little investigation work to see what has caused me and maybe many others to get this very unnerving heart arrythmia. I was just wondering how many of you with this condition have had any form of local anesthesia sometime prior to the first onset of your symptoms. Mine started after the C-section I had 3 years ago. I had a local in my spine and for the next day or two I felt this strange and very light vibration travelling on and off through my body. I was pretty drugged up at the time so I did not make much of it but looking back on it now, I cannot help but wonder if this somehow messed up my nervous system causing the arrythmia to start. I could be grasping at straws with this but I thought maybe we could compare notes. I know finding out what caused it will not help it but I just really would like to know. I don't care what anyone says, things like this do not happen for no reason at all. There has to be an underlying cause. If we knew what caused it, perhaps we could prevent others from "future doom". Also, one other "long shot" possibility I have come up with has to do with "hiccups". Years ago I found a permanent cure for hiccups for myself and I have not had a case of hiccups since. Could hiccups actually serve a purpose? Could getting hiccups help to regulate our heartbeats? I know I am starting to sound a bit looney but you never know????? Anyone I would appreciate all of your feedback and comments. Thanks!

Lenore
Dear Ingrid,
I'm 43 yr old male.  HT/WT proportionate. No significant medical problems/history in life. Stable, calm, technical, inventive personality.  In July 1998, underwent minor day surgery for a inguinial hernia, under common anaesthetic.  2 days later: first full fledged panic attack. Within 30 days, developed PVC's (about 1-5/month). Panic attacks grew more frequent(8+) over next 6 months. Developed mild claustriphobia.  PVC's got much worse. Developed severe choking sensation. Off work for weeks. Extreme tightness in chest for 6+ months, felt like constant heart attack.  3 trips to emergency rooms in 1998 for choking, PVC's, heart attack and panic, but "no problem": a little Ativan and out the door in 2-3 hours. Family doctor tested EKG, blood, blood PH (slighly alkaline), potassium levels, thyroid, breathing, gallbladder function(HIDA Scan), Upper GI series, Barium enema, X-ray swallowing function & more. All normal. Weekly+ visits to family doctor. Got letters from the insurance company saying I visit the doctor and the ER too often. Family doctor hung in there with me and sent me to gastroenterologist, Ear,Nose,Throat doctor, pschyciatrist, cardiologist & pulmonary doctors. Pschy. put me on Paxil & Serzone and it helped tremendously with the anxiety. Quit taking Valium completely.  Also referred to psychologist: Learned biofeedback, deep breathing, slow exhale, sequential body relaxation, music therapy and more I can't remember. I practice "slow exhale" daily, even hourly, as it works well, as you must keep the blood carbon dioxide level in the proper range.  ENT doctor looked in my throat with fiberscope, and said "All OK". Pulmonary doctor looked inside my lungs with bigger fiberscope/TV and said "All OK". He even gave me a set of photo's to help convince me. GI doctor gave me CAT Scan, UGI & LGI x-Ray series (all normal) & Prevacid for GERD. It works great! That was all in last half of 1998.  1999 was better, with a few panic attacks, moderate anxiety, only 2 trip to ER, bi-weekly doctor visits, 3 holter monitors, 90 days of cardiac event monitoring (telephoned in 90+ events in 90 days) and lots (hundred or thousands) of PVC,s. Also had 2 Stress EKG's, and Heart Ultrasound, with Doppler. Cardiologist said "All OK, Great Heart Structure, Stick with your anti-depressants, and take  Atenolol beta-blocker, 100 mg/day distributed daily dosing". I have the EKG printouts showing the PVC's.  Now in the year 2000 (2 years later), my panic attacks are gone, and anxiety is almost gone. PVC's are still severe & fluctuate from 1-2/hour during workday to 10-30/hour during evening & laying in bed. It's a delayed beat and you feel like the heart won't start on the next beat. I have gotten partially used to them, lay in bed and compare the delay time before the next beat starts. I also get some flutter rarely. I still get scared, but can manage the fear and eventually will overcome it. Now I'm down to working with my cardiologist to establish a better dose level/schedule for the beta-blocker, looking for a second opinion to validate the opinion of the first cardiologist, continuing my anti-depressants and beta-blocker, losing weight, excercise more, flyfish more and see my family physician every 4 months. I will avoid anti-arrythmatics until no other choice, but will if necessary. Also, simplifying my life and removing every stress source I have some control over.  My family doctor still accepts me as her patient, and is proud of my recovery through 2 years of difficulty beyond hers or my description. I know most of the above specialists' in the area, and they occasionally call me for input or testimonial to a troubled patient they may have or a medical peer who needs some legitimate feedback from someone who's "been there, done that". Over $50,000 spent (good insurance)and 2 years spent to recover from a $6,000 surgery. Did the surgery cause it all? That's another long, different story for another day.  Ingrid, I want to assure you you can get through this period. I survived through times when it appeared death was imminent. My close friends and family are amazed I survived, they don't really understand all I've been through, and they second guessed every physician's opinion. It is imperative that you develop confidence in your family physician, be consistent and accurate in your symptom descriptions, don't bounce from doctor to doctor, do receive the proper specialist referrals, rule out significant medical causes, learn to distinguish between valid, proven, legitimate medical information and unproven speculation/theory,  and develop an overall understanding of the complex inter-relationship between the heart, respiration, brain, anxiety, and fear. It is a difficult, but possible journey. I received 3 US patents in 1999 (non-medical) and look forward to more in the years to come. I will not let these PVC's destroy my life. I wish you and others like you the best in overcoming the difficult situation you are in. I will continue to monitor this forum.

Sincerely, Keith

Keith,

You are my hero.  Actually, all of you are.  The more I read, the more I realized that maybe the ER docs and cardiologists are right.  I will be fine and live a long life.

I am considering ablation therapy for PSVT's.  I can't stop them by myself and have gone to ther ER twice to get Adenacard.  

I am currently going to a psychologist for panic disorder.  Also, I have cut out caffeine.  I will give this 2 months.  The reason for this is that I am a woman.  My hormones rage about every 28 days.  If I still get bad pvc's and psvt's I will start drinking tea again.  All the docs said one cup of tea a day shouldn't upset my heart.  We'll see.

Also, I get bad pvc's just as I'm falling asleep, too.  I hate that.  They jolt me and then the adrenaline keeps me up for another half hour.

Thanks for writing all of you.  I don't feel so alone.

Holly
Thanks "Med student" I appreciate your input.  As a matter of fact I saw my family physcian yesterday morning and he upped my dose of Zoloft to 75 mg per day.  I switched my atenolol 50mg to the long acting one same mg.  I feel alittle better and I'm trying to not jump up everytime I feel these horrible pauses and thumps. It's terrible to spend your day trying to think back on what did I eat or what am I stressed out about that could make this act up again after all this time.  Zoloft literally saved my life because I was to the point that I just wanted it to finish me off so I wouldn't have to live in terror. My doctor assures me that it is stress related, which doesn't make me feel mush better realizing that I am doing it to myself. As I read everyone's comments here I see so much of myself.  I pray we can all be healed of this horrible feeling. At least I can read how others feel which helps me not to feel so alone.
Here is some information for those of you interested in trying magnesium.  In "The Total Guide to a Healthy Heart," the author Seth J. Baum, M.D., F.A.C.C. says the following regarding magnesium: "Of all the minerals employed in the treatment of cardiovascular disease, magnesium is far and away my favorite.  Unfortunately, most Americans are probably deficient in this vital substance.  While the RDA for magnesium is 350 mg., it has been found that the average American consumes merely 143-266 mg a day."..."Magnesium is involved in the activation of numerous enzyme systems including those impacting the cardiovascular system."..."The most dramatic and rewarding benefit of magnesium that I have noted, however, is in treating patients with palpitations and minor heart rhythm disturbances.  One of the most frustrating disorders to treat, from a cardiologist's perspective, is palpitations.  Most medications aimed at the elimination of this symptom are toxic.  Of the natural approaches, including taurine, the omega-3 fatty acids, coenzyme Q-10, and magnesium, my experience has revealed magnesium to be king.  It is truly wonderful to witness the dramatic responses of many patients to this simple mineral.  I would estimate that 3/4 of the patients I've treated with magnesium have found their palpitatons to be either completely eliminated or markedly improved."..."In light of magnesium's common deficiency among Americans, and its clear benefit in the treatment of many disorders - cardiovascular and otherwise, I strongly recommend daily supplementation with at least 250 mg.  As long as you are not suffering from kidney disease, more is probably better.  Be careful however, when starting magnesium, as it can have the side effect of diarrhea.  I would therefore, recommend starting your regiment with 300 mg. a day.  If you do not develop diarrhea (unusual at this dose), continue or increase the dose if necessary.  ..."The chelated forms of magnesium, such as glycinate or citrate, are both less likely to cause diarrhea and are better absorbed than the inorganic form such as oxide."

So, here it is straight from a cardiologist.  I highly recommend this book as it has lots of valuable information beyond just magnesium.

Another book, "Heart Disease," by Burton Goldberg and the Editors of Alternative Medicine Digest states in part: "Magnesium deficiency has been implicated in MVP and supplementation may reverse symptoms.  A recent study lends new support to these findings. Of 141 people with heavily symptomatic MVP, 60% had low magnesium leavels, compared to only 5% in the control group. After 5 weeks of supplementation, the % of those with chest pain dropped from 96% to 47%, palpitations from 93% to 51%, anxiety from 84% to 47%, low energy from 74% to 34%, faintness from 64% to 6%, and difficulty breathing from 84% to 39%.  Magnesium helps to dilate arteries and ease the heart's pumping of blood, thus preventing arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)."

There are many other books out there that corraborate these findings.  I personally take magnesium glycinate, but I'm sure certain types work better than others for different people. Although magnesium oxide worked for me, it did cause diarrhea.  I take 600 mg. a day.  I have found that divided throughout the day works best for me -- a constant infusion into my system I guess!  I therefore take 200 mg. morning, noon, and night.  You will probably notice some difference within the first few days if it is going to help you.  Within this time period, I noticed a marked decrease in my anxiety level.  The next thing I noticed is that I no longer experienced palpitations upon lying down at night (what a great relief)!  If you are deficient, it will take a while to build back up your intra-cellular level. Stress causes magnesium to be deleted from the kidneys, so if you are under a lot of stress, you normally require more magnesium. And, who with these awful palpitations and skipped beats isn't under stress? Magnesium should be taken in a 2:1 ratio with calcium -- twice as much magnesium as calcium intake.  I find that taking calcium supplements increases my palpitations, whereas drinking non-fat milk doesn't.  Maybe it is just me.  (Calcium causes the muscles to contract, magnesium causes them to relax.)

I am not a doctor and don't claim to know it all.  I do know what has worked for me and what I have found in my research. (I also take co-enzyme Q-10 and flaxseed oil because they have proven cardiovascular benefits.  However, like Dr. Baum, I find magnesium to be king.) I hope this information helps.

Hi everyone.   I'm sooo happy I found this board.

8 years ago, I saw a cardiologist, and was diagnosed with PSVT's after having the holter monitor, an EKG and echocardiogram.  I have to admit I found them quite frightening, but over the years, I've become less apprehensive above them.  I still experience sensations lasting only a few (10 or so) seconds fairly often, but they usually abate when I do the usual twisting, turning, bearing down, etc. type of maneuvres.  The last lengthy episode I had was two years ago.  It just kicks in so suddenly, with such fast hard beats, usually around 200 bpm. This episode lasted just over ten minutes, and quit as suddenly as it began........I was on my way to the hospital and was actually hoping it would continue until I got there, hoping that perhaps they could hook me up and maybe figure something out.....I'm not quite sure what though.   Anyhow....

Something new has been happening.  It has happened fairly often for extremely short periods of time (maybe 2 seconds), but twice it happened longer and scared me.  About 6 months ago, I awoke from a dead sleep (and I NEVER wake up in the night) to a total fluttering.  I immediately checked my pulse in my neck and I didn't really have one.  Freaked me right out.  It's hard to describe the sensation.......it's kinda like your pulse can't quite decide whether it's going to totally kick in hard (like the SVT's) or just fizzle out.  It's like a quivering sensation.  I think what also really scared me was the fact that it actually woke me up.  What if I hadn't woken up?  Seriously?  It was soooo strange.

Then, about 3 days ago, I got out of bed, had been up for about five minutes, was just walking around the house, and the same thing happened.  No "real" pulse.  Just this weird fluttering, quivering sensation.  No real beating.  It lasted about 15 seconds, which might not sound like much, but Yikes!!  What if it hadn't gotten back on track to a regular beat.  

I'm feeling quite lost and don't know what to do.  Maybe it's nothing to seriously worry about, but it's really hard not to.  I really don't want to go through a whole slew of testing again.  When episodes can be so far apart, what's the sense in even doing stuff like the holter monitor.  Chances are, it's not gonna happen in that specific 24-hour period.  

By the way, I'm female, age 43.  Don't quite know what to do.  It's nice to have found this thread of postings.  Does anyone know of a good cardiac type message board?  

Thanks.  Just had to get this "off my chest"!

Carol
p.s.  I lied.  I turned 44 last month.
Correction: I just want to clarify that the RDA for calcium is twice as much as magnesium, and not the other way around! Sorry for the confusion.
carol,
look into taking a beta blocker....or maybe even seeing an electrophisiologist about a EP test and possibly an ablation...but i would definately get my GP to start me on a beta-blocker...this will probably take care of the problem...
This note is to Holly, I too took all caffine out of my diet. Which helped reduce the PVC's, also stopped drinking all alcohol. Started drinking caffine free tea instead and the PVC's came back more than ever, there might be something else in tea that starts the PVC's so monitor your tea intake and see if you too have more PVC's when drinking it.
I also found this chat line helpful with my stress over PVC's and helped me to ask more informed questions of my doctors.  I also learned that I am not alone and that too relaxed me.  Thank you all for helping another sufferer.
Nancy
Carol,
As you can see from this website your not alone, your in large company. I posted a couple of comments on this page, and what you describe sounds very familiar to what I have been going through. I now 39, I think all my problems started when I was 33.
The first thing I can recall ever feeling was the fast heart beat. This started in october of 1993. On the day this started, I was going to a funeral for a close family friend. Then two weeks later my father in law passed away. From the first day this started it did it every day, usually in the morning after I get up and have breakfast. In about a hour or so, it would subside.I always would start to think, o.k. what did I do? did I have something with too much caffeine or sugar? Since I was two years old I had been told I use to sip coffee at that age. So I always drank coffee. The second thing I started to feel was a one time like a beat or thump in my chest. As soon as you feel it, it is over with. Sometimes this can happen zero times a day to seven or more. No pain or anything just a feeling like your heart does a quick somersault or something. Then the third thing is which scares the hek out of me is I can be doing whatever, feeling fine and then I will feel a flutter, and if I feel my pulse, my heart is either beating slow or screwy. Then to correct it because I ususally start to get a little panicky, is I get up and walk fast and cough on purpose then it goes from the screwy beat to a fast beat, then back down to the normal rate, and then the event is over with. When this happens I sometimes start to feel a little lightheaded, but not all the time when this event happens, also I sometimes feel like warm feeling up into my face, again this does not happens all the time either with this event. So I kind of seperated it into three different things that go on with me. I lived with this and never went to see anyone for years, until one day in february of 1998, all these things were going on at once all day and would not stop. My husband to me to the e.r. and they did their tests and sent me home. I then stsrted to go to a cardiologist and had all the tests they run. Still no exact diagnosis but he did put me on toprol 50mg twice daily in september of 1999. I really don't have any side effects from it and it has really helped me. I still get all these symptons but at less frequency and severity. But every month around around ovulation and then two weeks later my symtoms (symptoms) come alot more. I should try getting one of the monitors again around those times and see If I can catch it and record it.
I can't say how pleased I was to have found this site.  I recently visited Mammoth, California for a holiday from the UK.  I was pretty stressed before I left for personal reasons, and after a long flight and drive, arrived in Mammoth.  I had trouble aclimatising (I didn't realise what it was at the time) and suffered nosebleeds, headaches and shortness of breath.  Probably climbing up into the mountains the day after we arrived was not a sensible thing to do!  We then flew over to New England and my heart felt strange a couple of times on the flights over.  Three days into visiting long lost relatives of my partner in Maine, I had real trouble with my heart - it appeared to be turning over in my chest - missing beats.  I was really scared and in the end my partner persuaded me to visit a local hospital.  They were brilliant - ECK machines, blood tests and chest x-rays were carried out.  I was told there was nothing wrong - that I was disgustingly fit.  They said the heart fluctuations were probably due to being in a foreign country, high altitudes or maybe even consuming more caffeine than normal.  They said my heart would probably return to normal when I returned to the UK.  However, I returned at the beginning of August and here I am, well into September and if anything they are worse.  Certainly any small stressful situation brings them on - sometimes they appear out of nowhere.  It makes my chest ache when they go on for hours, although sometimes they only last for a few minutes.

I was interested in the comments on Magnesium - I have to take calcium supplements for another problem, so perhaps this is my problem.  I answered a questionnairre on another site and it said I could have an extreme anxiety disorder.

Any other advice would be great.  Thanks for reading this

Sally McIntosh
I am so relieved I found these postings.  i thought I was going crazy. I have had the symptons listed and the tests.  It is such a strange feeling to hear the doctor say "it is not life threatening".  Your heart is completley freaking out and it is nothing to worry about. I am just hoping that this will stop because no matter what you tell yourself when its happening (the fluttering the waking up in the middle of the night and your heart is just pounding then it feels like it stops) - Does anyone experience their hands or arms going alseep?  I am going to keep trying to make this stop - it is just too unnerving.  Thanks to everyone for their comments.
Hi Carol:

If I were you I would make an appointment with an Electrophysiologist (a cardiologist who specializes in arrhythmias) just to get checked out and get some peace of mind.  They can do an electrophysiology study and determine what kind of arrhythmias you are having.  I'm not a doctor but I understand that when your heartbeat is erratic (kind of fluttering, not a rhythmic beat) that it could be a fibrilation.  Also, if you have this test done, while you're having the the test the doctor can determine what medication will work best for you.  Don't know where you live...I live in NY and there are some good hospitals here for this.

Let me know if you decide to go and what the results are.

Lin
I loved reading your posting.  Thanks so much.  You sound very wise and really put my mind at ease.  Just wanted to say thanks.
To add to the magnesium discussion...I mentioned a few posts up about a product called Matol that ive heard about. Well,,Ive started taking it, this is my 3rd day, and it does seem to be doing some good although Im sure Ill have to wait a few weeks before I see any real results. The product is a mix of Magnesium, pottasium, calcium, iron and 14 "beneficial" herbs. Just to qualify myself here, I am not making any claims about this product, I am not a doctor, nor am I connected with the Matol company in any way. Im just a fellow PVC sufferer passing on info that has through various channels come my way. I wont put the site addy for matol up because i dont want to be seen as trying to advertise there product..but there is info out there about it on the web..try a search engine and see what you find.
Good luck to all of you and Ill tell you all how I shape up when Ive finished my first bottle. fingers crossed :)
This is a terrific forum.   Thank you for the suggestions.

I went to see my GP yesterday and he ordered an EKG.  He also suggested that we wait and see if it happens again (or more frequently) and that he would then refer me to a cardiologist.  He talked about ordering a holter monitor, but I tend to think it would, most likely, be a waste of time.  If the 'quivering' was a frequent occurrence, then it would absolutely make sense, but since it's not.......

I felt like he was taking me seriously, which was nice.  Too often you hear about "middle aged women" being dismissed way too quickly, after being told their symptoms are "in their head".  I did bring up stress, because I definitely do have stress in my life, but I feel that some symptoms could possibly be from the stress, while others wouldn't.  When I feel anxious and my pulse is rapid, I think it probably is due to stress, because on those occasions, I am able to do things like deep breathing, etc., to slow it down.  However, when my pulse totally takes off, and does the rapid pounding 200 bpm for several minutes, I know it's not stress.  What "I do" in those instances does NOT affect it.  I could lay down, round around the block, whatever.....can't interrupt that cycle.  The cardiologist likened it to a short circuit in the wiring, and suggested I apply hard pressure to one side of my neck (the carotid artery) to hopefully interrupt it and get it back on track again.  Aside from that, he said to be at Emergency within 30 minutes and they could zap it back on track.

We didn't discuss medication at this point.  If it does happen more frequently, I'm sure medication will be necessary.  I've read a bit about medications and can see that I have alot to learn....that's for sure.  

Valerie - I agree.  The "slow or screwy" beating is very frightening.  As well as walking fast, or coughing quickly, the doctor also suggested to me splashing cold water on my face (I read that somewhere too), bearing down (like you're pushing really hard to have a baby!!) and just doing weird twisting things just to sort of jolt it back into rhythm again.  You mention "toprol", and I see that it's listed as an antihypertensive. But I see there's also a whole group of heart drugs called "antiarrhythmics".  I'll have to read up on the differences.  I wonder what the best type of med would be for the "fluttering" uneven weak kind of pulse that feels like it just might pack it in.  Anyhow, before I go back to the doctor, I will do lots of reading!!  If your's is happening so regularly, maybe you should get another holter.

Lin - Thank you for the information.  I obviously have to read up more on testing.  You mention electrophysiology........Wouldn't I have to be having an episode at the time I was hooked up for it to show up?  That's what makes it all so difficult, I find.  I have only had the 2 episodes that were fairly long, and those episodes were months apart.  It's definitely a frightening thing and would love to catch it on film.  (BTW, I'm in B.C. Canada)

Anyhow, thanks you guys.   You're terrific.    It really is nice to know you're not alone.  (I also thought "heart stuff" was something that happened to older people!!!)  
Thanks again.
Carol
Hi, I really understand where many of you are coming from. I am a 34 yr old who's father had a heart attack at 33. I began have runs of ventricular Bigemeny(10 to 30 runs an hour) about one year ago. I am very symptomatic. The palpatations feel as if someone is kicking me in my chest and I can feel them up into my throat. The real kicker is that I am an ER Nurse. I had the usual thallium stress test and echo and that came back "inconclusive". Because of strong family history and my arrythmia, I had a heart cath to rule out Coronary Heart Disease. My doctor had me take Toprol xl 50 mg a day and that eventually was increased to 100mg twice a day. It did not help. While in the hospital after my heart cath, the electrophysiologist came by. He discontinued my toprol and put me on Verapamil, a calcium channel blocker. After two weeks this did not help. I am scheduled for an ablation on the 25th.  I chose the ablation because I did not want to be on an antiarrythmic for the rest of my life. I know that my pvc's are benign and cannot "kill" me,but as the electrophysiologist put it, it is the quality of my life that counts. He said I needed a heart electriction, not a plumber(a little cardiology humor). I hope the ablation helps, but if it doesn't, I dont know what I will do. I as a RN know the side effects associated with antiarrythmics and I don't want to be on them. Just wanted everyone to know that I understand where they are coming from and I agree with some previous responses, go see an electrophysiologist. I can not stand to go around and feel as if some one is pounding on my chest, all day long. Drives me crazy. wish me luck on my ablation. Take care!

Paul
Hi Everyone,
I have never taken any stronger medication in my life than an asprin or tylenol. So when the cardiologist I was seeing told me to start toprol 50mg, I was a little apprehensive about it. I went to a second cardiologist and he ran all the same tests that they run, and I guess from my continuing symtoms (symptoms) and complaining he put me on the exact medication and same dosage. I had the prescription filled and kept it and never took it until about almost a month after I got it filled. I was really nervous about stating a medication for a couple of reasons. One I thought what is it going to do to me?, then I thought about any kind of side effects?, then I thought about is this a lifelong thing? But one day In september of 1999, my heart was going crazy all day with the fast beating, so every one in my family  had said to me didn't you take that medication yet? So I couldn't stand it no more,  so I took it and except for feeling a little tired for the first few days, I felt much better. As time passed my dosage had to be raised a little because sometimes you do feel the symptoms break through, but the events are less frequent and less severe. I'm now afraid not to be on it. This  arrythmia thing runs in my family. My mother fast rate started when she was 17 and then returned at 33. She has been on inderal since she was 40, and she is now 72. My sister started at 33, she has mital valve prolapse and wolf parkinson white  and was on alot of medication that would knock you down. After years of this, she finally had an ablation done in 1996, and that cured her. She on no meds right now. But she will always have the mvp. My nephew who is 14, had an ablation done this past february. In january his rate went up to 245 one day and the decided on ablation. At this time his problems had only been going on a month, they started in jan. and the ablation was in feb. He is cured too. But he has wpw, I don't have that and I may not be a candidate for ablation. I wish ablation could cure for whatever type of arrythmia someone may have , but as I understand it, it may not. My doctor has told me that sometimes pacemakers are then needed if an ablation does not go well. So you  have to judge how your problems are, and see if it is worth trying ablation or staying on medication.
To Jennifer, My arms go to sleep and tingle, I feel it most of the time when I wake up.  I also have fibromyalgia and a prolapsed mitral valve which the specialists say is benign.  Anyone else with fibromyalgia and suffer from these horrible feelings?  Sometimes when my heart starts flopping around I say out loud, "It ought to just fall on the floor and get it over with!"
Sounds stupid but it is such a bad feeling I feel like I need for someone in my family to hear me say that just so they could know it's acting up in case I fall out.  I am now taking Borage oil supplements since Friday and also Flaxseed oil,  fruit and vegetable pills, magnesium supp. and selenium.   A wonderful Doctor by the name of Cotter is a firm believer in nutrition and has extensibly researched all his findings.  I'm praying this will help me soon.  While sitting here my heart is fluttering and skipping all over.  I hate it!  I'm thankful I'm not alone but wouldn't wish this on anyone..
Nice to find this msgboard. I've only been dealing with this for the past 3 or 4 days.  Started with some strong palpitations, flew out of work to the ER on thursday.  Had the full range of stuff - blood work, chest xrays, EKG.  Fitted with the holter monitor for all of friday. Quick diagnosis of PVCs by the ER docs.  The very annoying hard thump...pause..thumpthump.....continued all through the weekend.  Sat down at my computer tonight (to read more about THIS , ironically enough..) and felt flush, then lightheaded and my heart raced off the chart and i couldn't calm it back down.  My wife drove like a demon down to the ER, I guess I was panicking most of the way. Could barely stumble into the ER door - entire body weak, lightheaded..hands shaking, face and arms tingling and 'buzzing' (if you know what I mean).  Docs finally got me calmed down...had a few more little bouts with it there, but learned to not let my worry and adrenaline combine into a vicious cycle again.

Got a shot of lopressor to help calm my heart out some, and a prescription for Atenenol (25mg) for a bit. Have the echo cardiogram scheduled for tomorrow.  Hope all that goes well.

I just have to say I really agree with the consensus on here that the worst part is accepting that "you're fine" the docs give you.  I'm only 29, and thought my number was up on the ride down to the ER. I've never felt that ..wired before.  I knew it wasnt a heart attack, but I dont want to repeat that ever again.
As for background, I'm fairly active, no family history of heart disease, and this is the first time I've had anything like this.

I'm going to read up more on the magnesium suggestion (I already take a multivitamin with mg in it, will see what kind/size).  I've also cut out caffeine and trying for more sleep (I usually push myself pretty lean on that) and working on relaxing.  Glad this group is here - for someone just introduced to this, at least it helps bear out the doc's assumption I'm not going to die from these!  I'm feeling good tonight finally - the lopressor either helps, or i'm finally calming down.

Sorry for the rambling format - it's been a rough week, my composition skills have kinda taken a back seat!   Good luck to all of you.
To Neil,
I just found this website last week. I couldn't believe all that I have read on so many other people feeling the exactly same way as I do. I hate to hear other people have these same stinking arrythmias, but it does help to know that your not alone, because that is usually how you feel, especially at first when you begin to experience these things. I have had alot of events, but only been to the E.R. once. Like yourself my husband raced me to the E.R. one night in february of 1998, after a whole day of feeling all different things. It started from the time I got up that day until the E.R. that evening. They also did all the same tests, except for the holter monitor, which I received from a cardiologist I started to go to about a month later. When you first feel your heart racing like that it scares the hek out of you, but like a panick sets in, which makes the racing much worse. I actually felt immediately better when I went to the E.R. because your not home guessing and wondering what is going on. You almost automatically feel better because you feel they know what your telling them, which is a calming and reassuring feeling.
Take Care.
Ingrid,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I sensed a lot of similarity between our experiences, and had to post to you.  What is the overall timeframe you have had this situation occurring? Don't be embarrased to return to your doctor. Be pleasant, but persistent.   Are you near a major metropolitan area, or remote region? That can influence your options. Obviously, you have seen a specialist for the ablations.  What was said after the unsuccessful ablations? My blood pressure is 90/60 while on Atenolol 100mg/day.  It has gone down to 70/56 once.  It does not present any problem for me.

Keep me posted on your situation. I will continue to monitor this forum and thread.

Keith
Oh my God, I can not tell you how both relieved and frightened I am at the same time.  When I read your message just moments ago, it was just like me writing the letter.  Everything you have said is exactly what I have been experiencing for years.  I am 33 years old.  I have noticed problems with my heart since I was 15.  I have been going to doctor after doctor with the same reply.  Nothing is wrong with you.  I did have several doctors tell me that I probably had Mitral Valve Prolapse and prescribed Inderol for me.  I studied up on this extensively, and although I have many of the symptons, it just didnt seem right.  Last August I went back to the cardiologist and told him that I was fed up with feeling this way.  He said "that he was really sorry and he did not doubt my discomfort, however, unless they could actually see something on an EKG then he couldnt tell me anything more."  The problem was, that anytime I was having an attack, I wasnt able to get in to see the doctor, so he was not able to see what was going on.  I constantly feel my heartbeat and I have occasional mild attacks.  But at the onsought of a "Big Attack"  I get this strange headache and feel extraordinarily tired.  The attacks last for a week.  They scare me to death.  I finally went to the hospital last week and made them put a holter moniter on me while the attacks were happening.  They called me today, to inform me that I had PVC.  And what do you think they told me......"It's no big deal, your heart is structurally sound.  You can take your Inderol if you want, but there is no need to worry.  The problem is, that when these attacks happen, I feel like I am dying or could die.  I don't know what to do and I am sick of feeling this way.  I share your feelings 100%.  I read some of the comments that people made that said just get over it they have the same problem and its just life kindof attitude.  However, from reading your message you sound just as desparate as me and just as frightened and fed up.  I totally understand this and am so happy just to find someone after all this time of thinking I was crazy, to feel just like me.  Sincerely.  Please feel free to respond to this if you feel like it.  ***@****
I know exactly what you're saying. I started feeling weird things with my heart since 1993. I was 33 at the time, and didn't see anyone about it until I had no other choice in feb. 1998, when my heart was going nuts all day long. The following month in march of 98, I saw a cardiologist for the first time, and he said the same" nothing wrong, picture perfect heart." But he did want me to start toprol. I went to a second cardiologist because I really didn't want to srart medication. After all the tests, he says the same. He doesn't doubt what I say I'm feeling, but he said he got to get it on paper. I have had event monitors, and holter monitors, and my syntoms were not recorded. But he did put me on toprol. It is so frustrating and scary. I think the worst part has to be is when you feel so lousy on and off, and I try not to complain too much, but when you do say something, I get the feeling people don't believe me. I get that feeling sometimes from my mother in law and sister in law. I come from a family both on my father and mother side that has heart problems. My mother had been on inderal since she was 40, she is now 72. My sister has dealt with these problems since 1985 and had a ablation done in 96. My 15 year old nephew heart rate one day this past jan. went to 245, this was the first time he ever had any problems with his heart. He had an ablation done in feb. Now my neice who is 17 just started to have a fast heart , and she currently has an event monitor. Hopefully things will get resolved.
Alot of you with mitral valve prolapse may have "mitral valve prolapse syndrome". It is a syndrome of symptoms related to dysautonomy of the nervous system. Palpitations such as PVC's and panic attacks are two of the symptoms. I bought a book by Lyn Fredrickson R.N., that helped me understand what was happening to me. If my heart goes really crazy I still tend to worry, but my anxiety has decreased tremendously. You can go to mitralvalveprolapse.com for more information. Wow, I don't mean to sound like an advertisement. I am a registered nurse and would just like to let you know what helped me. If you would like you can e-mail me at ***@****.
Father God, I come to you on behalf of everyone that has written to this forum discussing their conditoion.  Father , you created us and you know exactly what is going on inside our bodies.  And Father I pray right now in the name of Jesus that you would touch our bodies. Take away the irregualr beats, take away the rapid  heartbeats.  Remove any stress out of our lives.  Give us peace that passes all understanding. Lord do what only you can do.  When the doctors say no, or I don't know, we know Lord that you know all things.  So we claim healing in our bodies right now.  We come against every attack of the enemy.  Father your word says that by your stripes we are healed, and we stand on that word right now.  In Jesus name.  Amen.  Everyone be blessed!!!
Too bad you didn't post your name, or at least part of it,
"someone who cares," so that we can thank you for your
prayer.

That was a very nice thing to come in here and do (although
you'll likely get flack from some people about doing it).

Thank you,

----- Jerry
For 15 years I suffered from palpitations with heart rates up to 140 beats per minute at rest, dizziness, and shortness of breath.  I could go a year without any symptoms and then suddenly get symptoms for months.  Doctors pretty much told me that I was stressed and too young to have any heart problems.  You can imagine that over a 15 year period of time how frustrated I was.  In January 1999, I went to an electrophysiologist (a cardiologist who deals with electrical disturbances of the heart) and was diagnosed with arrythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia.  This is a rare, genetic heart condition which causes normal tissue of the right ventricle to die, and it is replaced by fatty tissue.  This condition is really in the "new" stages.  There is a research center and registry in Arizona, run by Dr. Marcus, however there is much inconsistency between physicians when it comes to long term prognosis and making the diagnosis, as well as treatment.  I am writing to you and ANY patient who may have a gut feeling that something is not right.  This condition is responsible for sudden death.  I do not want to scare anyone, after all I am now 35 years old and am still here, however, be an advocate for yourself.  Anyone with symptoms of unexplained ventricular tachycardia or persistent palpitations should raise the question of ARVD to their physician.  If your physician does not know what it is find one that does.  There are many sites to research about ARVD. Good luck and God bless!
Well, I've since been to the cardiologist for my following checkup. I got the "your heart is structurally sound" speech. He ordered one more blood tests for thryoid conditions...waiting to hear back on that one this week.  Turns out the echo was fine as well.

Okay, great - so I'm not going to die.  That doesnt seem to help me in the 'quality of life' category.  I've started taking the Atenenol after I had to leave work early again with a fast heartbeat, flushed feeling, some nausea.  25mg every day..which has noticeable slowed my heart rate.  So now I dont get those mild heart ramp-ups.  Instead, i'm getting more of the really strong, slow, out-of-synch extra beats for hours.  Those are really wearing me out (both from anxiety and the slow rate).  Are these common?  Do the rest of you experience these? It feels like someone's standing on my chest, and then i get those totally odd strong beats.  They seem to really throw a wrench in the beating pattern too... thump...thump..........THUMP.....THUMP........thump thump...  It's driving me batty.  They're tiring, I'm weak and lightheaded, get a headache feeling as well - and have to try to lie down to mitigate them some.  I've tried the coughing, torso stretching, brisk walks...not much seems to make them go away.  I'm going to cut back the Atenenol to 12mg tomorrow...I think my heart rate's too low (I know it's below my normal resting rate now), and try to talk to the doctor again.  I'm trying to plan some active vacations (hiking and snow skiing) but I don't simply see how those would be possible at this point. Any one have more experience with PVCs?  Mine only started a week ago, and i'm getting them for hours straight every day...sometimes i'm fine for several hours (and it feels SO peaceful).  Once you remove the source of these (be it stress/lack of sleep/caffeine) do they take a while to go away? I'm trying to stay positive, but it's really starting to hamper my functioning in life. I just feel lousy way too often.  Any tips/opinions appreciated.
Hi.  So many of us have posted under this one thread, and eventually the thread will be gone.   I suspect this board is actually more for people to post a question to the doc, rather than be used as an actual message board.

So what I'm wondering is.....does anyone know of a good cardiac message board that we could all post on?   I've been looking lately and haven't come up with one that appears active at all.  So I'm hoping that if anyone can find one that we could frequent, that'd be great if you'd come back to this thread and post the url for the message board.   There really seems to be the need.  

Niel. John here, 56 yrs wt/ht average in otherwise good health. I was diagnosed with "RVOT Vtac" after a treadmill stress test three weeks ago and the Card. MD put me on 25mg Atenolol Beta blocker twice a day.  I have had "missed" heartbeats with the BIG THUMPS after the missed beats for over three months now and my Dr. sent me for the stress test. My missed beats happened all of a sudden one morning after breakfast on my way to work, scared the wits out of me.  They continued happening daily, mostly after meals. The meds lowered my blood pressure and heart rate but also increased the amount of missed beats significantly.  It also took "all" my energy away, to the point where it was a chore to walk even slowly.  I stopped the meds after one week and started Magnesium supplements and a multiple vitamin, (about 350mg magnesium a day.) After one week of magnesium supplement my bloodpressure is still low,(107/74 after my morning shower)but my heart rate has increased to between 80 and 110. The thing is I feel so much better.  I still get missed beats a couple of times a day but nothing compared to before the meds and the stress test. My energy is back and my quality of life is getting to near normal.  I am going in for an Echo Cardiogram tomorrow and an appointment with an Electrocardio MD next week.  This forum has helped me understand my problem and given me peace of mind.  Thanks to all who have contributed.

Hi all,
  I cannot say it strongly enough that people who are suffering from these symptomatic PVC need to go see an electrophysiologist. Not just any doctor, but one with a good reputation. The problem is, as explained to me by my doctor, is that most cardiologists deal with coronary artery disease and HTN. They are the "Plumbers". Most of us on this thread have a problem with the electrical system in our hearts and that requires an "electriction". That is what the Electrophysiologist is. My EP doctor got on my good side right away when he told me that even though these pvc are not going to kill, it is your quality of life that counts. How do you concentrate on work or read or sleep when you have a constant pounding in your chest. I do not panic anymore. I know that this is a benign arrythmia, but I want it to go away. I, as a RN, have read many medical journal articles on ablating pvc and my doctor says that there is a 90 to 95% success rate. I hope I am in that majority. I am having it done tomorrow. Just seek out the best physician in the medical community and don't stand for, "it will be allright". Be advocates for your own health and seek out more opinions if you dont like the one you got. I have been through many medications in 1 1/2 years and now it is time to try something new. hope it works. I will reply back after the procedure.

Paul
To Neil,

I have to agree with John 100%. I have also recently begun magnesium, potassium, vitamin B complex(with Vit C), and Selenium. I also have been eating healthier and drinking more water. I have to say that my symptoms of the 'skipped beats' have improved drastically!!! I still feel it once in a while but it is way under control. I will continue this for the rest of my life if need be because the daily anxiety is being lifted and it feels wonderful!!

Lenore
I can relate to everything said on this board. I am a 50 year old male. I don't know all the lingo but i know the flutter in my chest, and have been told to learn to live with it. I'm told that lots of people have it and live with it. My heart never races, nor do i have panic attacks where i have to go to the hospital. Just a flutter, a irregular beat. I've learned how to mimimize it while laying in bed at night, when it's the worst. It comes for days and weeks, and then leaves for days and weeks. I can't discern a pattern, but i think perhaps, if there's any pattern, it's worst after i eat sometimes, and after i push myself too hard, or if i don't get enough sleep.
Here's a thought. I have been diagnosed with a "mild" Irritable Bowel." This too comes and goes with stress, etc. When i have it, i feel pressure in my chest, indigestion, and have to belch alot. After i belch alot, it seems to relieve the pressure and the palpatitions don't seem as bad. I've wondered if there's a connection. Anyone else have IBS, digestion problems, and wondered if it is connected with the flutter?

Ken Waite.  ***@****.
I don't care how benign they are, I hate hate hate hate hate
those stupid PVCs. They remind me at least once an hour
of my mortality, which is something I don't really need to
be thinking about that often. No amount of condescending
reassurance from the doctor is ever going to fix that.

The worst thing about skipped beats in an otherwise
healthy person is their unpredictability. Driving the car,
walking down the street, anywhere - anytime. One-offs,
in clusters, big PVCs, little PVCs: they show no mercy.

The only time I rarely notice them is when engaging
in physical exercise - is this because they tend to happen
less then, or because they are less likely to be noticed
when your heart is pounding hard anyway?

Sven
Thanks for reminding us that God is in control of all things.  He did place the doctors and their knowledge here for us to use.
Everyone, just make sure you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and friend so that when you do die, we'll all meet in heaven.

I too suddenly began having PVC's in Jan of the year I was 38. Had all the tests, quit caffeine completely, no coffee, tea, chocolate or cola. Also no medicines with caffeine. It took exactly 7 weeks for the PVC's to stop. I had over 600 on the 24 hr Holter Monitor. I am now 44. I rarely get PVc's They tend to occur when I'm premenstrual or if I eat a large meal. Like I said they are rare now! You can feel them, but as long as you are not having chest pain, shortness of breath, you don't smoke and you have been cleared through your doctor, you should be OK.
I have had PVC's for 3 years now.  The bottom line is, the more you pay attention to them, the worse they get.  If the diagnosis is PVC's, trust your doctor and move on with life.  By the way,
I have them almost everyday (sometimes several hundred a day) and sometimes I can go a week without feeling a "skip."
STRESS is a major factor.
Hello everyone,

I first posted here about a month ago. It was probably one of the best things I ever did for my health. Someone was kind enough to tell me about magnesium difficiency and what it does to the body, including abnormal heart rhythms. I immediately started magnesium and potassium supplements. Within a few days I noticed a drastic decrease in episodes of pvc's. Now, a month later, I barely feel them at all. Since that posting, I have been doing alot of my own research on magnesium difficiency and an amazing 28% of the American population is difficient in this much needed mineral!!!! The symptoms have a range from muscle cramps or spasms to Angina including abnormal heart rhythms!! I come back to the board I first learned how to improve my health to spread the word and possibly help a few more people. I realize this may not be the answer for everyone, but I feel in my 'heart' that a good portion of people who have this problem can find relief simply by supplementing their diets with this mineral. I urge you all to do the research on magnesium, you may want to even discuss this with your doctor first. But I think it is worth it for all of you to at least check it out! If I can help even one person escape the nightmare it will make me very happy! Good luck to all of you, and I pray the suffering will end!

Lenore
Hi Lenore, When you started the magnesium did you get tested and were you magnesium deficient?  My magnesium serum levels tested okay by my intracellular levels came back deficient.

Also, how much magnesium and potassium did you start with and how much are you up to now?  What kind of magnesium are you taking?  Are you taking any calcium?

Thanks, Lin
To Lin,

Before I started the magnesium I was not tested. I did some research of my own and determined that if this was not the problem it would not hurt me any so I figured I would give it a try. It did seem likely, however, to myself that I probably was difficient because only about 40 % of the magnesium ingested in absorbed. Also when you are under stress, the body "throws away" even more magnesium and boy was I under stress!!! I now know this was the case because it definitely is working!! I have not felt this good in a long time. This is what I have been taking: In the morning I take 250 mg of Magnesium, 99 mg of Potassium, B-Complex (which also contains C), and 50 mg of Selenium. In the afternoon, when I get home from work I take another 250 mg of Magnesium. When I make Iced Tea (which is a favorite in my house) I add a heaping teaspoon of Ester C powder (which includes some calcium). I also have been drinking alot of milk and choosing my diet very carefully (based on what I have been reading). A very good book that I highly recommend is: "Heart Healthy Magnesium" by James B. Pierce, Ph.d. He gives some good and easy to understand guidelines to follow. I believe in magnesium supplements with all of my 'heart' and I hope you will look into it for yourself. Unless you know you are, otherwise in good health or are taking any perscription medication, you may want to check with your doctor first. Good luck to you!!!

Lenore
Help!!!!!!!!
My friend has enlarged heart,arrythmia(skipping every 2,3,5 beats). I have to find  a good electrophysiologist in NY.
Thank you
Go to

http://www.swimstats.com/health/default.html

There is a ton of PVC info here and a message board and chat room.

Melissa
Thank you, Melissa!!!    I really have been looking for a long time.   Much appreciated.

Carol
to: Ken Waite

Ken:

I don't have IBS but when my palpatations began 2 months ago my doctor told me it could be from  acid reflex because burping was part of it all...(I also feel better for awhile after burping)....she put me on prilosec...which has cut episodes down at least 80% and I never have a problem sleeping anymore-which was the worst.I was tested for acid reflex and I do have some of it...I also saw a cardiologist and had an ekg, 30 day holter monitor ect...which showed PCV's......he said he's never heard of any connection between acid reflex and palpatations...however was surprised prilosec would make such a difference unless acid related...I've seen 2 other letters from people asking if anyone feels there's a connection between acid and pvc's......I'm glad my GP thought it was worth a shot......I still have them..and alittle confusing when GP says acid reflex and cardiologist says pvc's...........kind of scary too.............in checking all sites on acid reflex...palpatations are never mentioned and when checking sites for palpatations acid reflex and burping are never mentioned so other than 2 notes I've seen and the two of us ..no one else seems to connect it all?????????   After reading notes about magnesium I'm going to try that as well and am trying to watch what I eat....seems to play a big part....I don't want to stay on prilosec too long..  Take care!
I am so glad I have found this forum, Very Very interesting and now I don't feel so alone.
I am 35 yrs old female and for the past 5 years been suffering from heart palpataions.
First treated for High blood pressure, huh having your heart racing and feeling like it is gonna jump right out of your chest why wouldn't my blood pressure be high, doctor put me on high blood pressure medicine just like that.
Well that was about 4 years ago, still on BP medicine, but still having palpatations.
Last year while in my doctors office again for same thing yep you got it heart palpataions he did a ekg it was abnormal so he put me on a holter for 24 hrs refered me to a cardiologist and ordered blood and urnie test, cardiologist ordered MRI of kidneys (looking for tumors) more blood test and an echocardiogram.
He changed my blood pressure medicine from toprol to avapro,
Holter readings came back as abnormal, but all other test was just fine, except for urnine test said I had elevated epinephrine well that was the only thing they found, did a second urnine test and it was fine, so out of all the test they all was fine and I was sent on my way....but still have the palpations and  now take Avapro 100 mg, and toprol 50 mg per day with no relif for the heart pal.,
I do suffer from alot of heartburn and acid reflux in which I take pepcids for daily
Could these problems with my heart be from acid reflux?
Very interesting I seen two other letters here that stated this same thing....hummmmmm
Well to end this story I try to get on with my life and tell myself the doctors found nothing and all will be ok...but it is so so hard to do this and have these attacks and try and cope with them....
Now that I have found this forum I will not feel alone..
Lori
I'm so glad to have found this site. I've had the rapid beats, skips, thuds, and butterfly flutterings for many years. Been in the hospital, worn the holter, taken atenol (it dragged me down so bad I felt much worse), stress tests, etc., etc.
I never understood what was wrong with me. Were there any other people who felt the same wierd, frightening things and had the same concerns?
Finally found another doctor in 1998. He put me on his clinic's own calcium/ magnesium, multiple vitamin and vitamin E.
Within a few weeks, my symptoms lessened considerably and he took me off atenol.
I recently got lax about taking the cal/mag and everything came back - lying in bed with the flutterings, counting the skipped beats and dreading the thud that comes afterwards, counting the beats per minute just feeling wiped out.
I got back on the cal/mag a few days ago and already have relief. It works for me.
I thank the Lord that He has given natural substances (with no side effects) for our benefit.
I hope all of you also find relief soon from this misery.
Hi, I am glad that this site posted by Ingrid  Sept. 8 and up to date still attract alot of respond.

I have similar problem like Kelly, Everyday I have alot of hic up, I have irregular beats (estopic) beat and also went for Cat ablation. But I am still having my estpic beat . Iam on amiodarone and aspirin for last 6 months. After I read this site, Iam started taking managsium and Multi vit.

My cardio. said that hicup is noting to do with irreggular beats. Any reader have advice, please email to ***@****

Thnks.
I have a few ideas that help my symptoms. Eating more frequently but not as much at a time seems to help. I realized that my heart begins skipping after I eat. It is the "HEART RATE CHANGE" biomechanism within some of us that is causing problems. Even watching an exciting movie can start it, because the heart rate is being elevated. Could it be that the rate change mechanism is like a corroded switch, causing aberrations in heart rythm as it "adjusts" the heart rate? I know all cases are not as mine, but thinking of it this way makes me feel a little better, especially since the doctor doesn't find much wrong with my heart physically and says it is a strong heart. Hope this helps someone. For me it's not a cure, but the effect is a lot quicker than magnezium, although I'm not ruling magnezium out. I'm no Doc but I think my little theory is quite logical; at least it makes me less fearful and it actually helps.
I wonder about the relationship between Protonix and these skipped beats.  I find it interesting that mine started just after starting Protonix.
As the cardio suggested above - I've been on Flecanaide for about 1 month now and am feeling better.  The Beta Blockers did not work for me either.  I have a healthy heart - it just skips a lot (PVC's), so we tried the flecanaide and so far so good .  They have not gone away - but I do feel better and am not having the side affects from the Beta's like low blood pressure etc...  Best of luck to all of you - ask about this drug - it's worht trying if your heart is healthy !  :-)
Somehow I think perhaps its something we are not considering.
1. If it is air pollution there is little that can be done.
2. The same goes for electromagnetic radiation.
3. When was the last time you checked the ingredients of your    deodorant? A stab in the dark? Maybe not...Putting triclosan    or aluminum clorohydrate on your body may be approved by the FDA, but how safe are these chemicals if you spray them under your arms for 30 or more years?  
Just some thoughts...
Anyway I have been taking magnesium, eating more banannas, vitamin E, aspirin, multivitmin and even zinc for awhile now.
Missed beats still range from 1 in 5 to 1 in 50 randomly.
Anyway, strangely I'm not afraid anymore. My condition has been with me about 3 months now. In my 20's and 30's it would disappear for years but now it looks like its here to stay.
25 mg metropolol twice a day does little good.
Well so much for you all reading about my crazy ideas.
I dont know any of the fancy terms or even exactly what it is I've got but about 5 months ago I was relaxing at home and my heart bagan to race. My boyfriend called an ambulence and when they did an ECG my heart rate was up to 210 BPM. I've never been so frightened in all my life, feeling like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I'm 19 and when I went back to my doctor she said there was nothing wrong with me and it had been caused by the alchohol and cannabis I had indulged in that night.

I immediately stopped doing anything that might cause it and didnt drink or smoke for ages. I would take my pulse every 5 minutes and be scared to even sit in a bar if it was smokey.

I went back to my doctor because it was still happening even though I was taking care of myself, and she eventually sent me to a heart specialist. By this time I was convinced that he was going to say the same thing but to my amazement he told me what was wrong.
How he described it was that where most people have one cable going into their heart, mine is divided into two. Most of the time one is asleep but sometimes it wakes up causing the heart to beat double time. He said he suffered from the same thing. Although I dont know the exact details, it was a breath of fresh air for someone to tell me that it wasn't in my head.
He told me more methods of getting rid of it, eg. drinking a fizzy drink or crushed ice and prescribed me with beta-blockers for extreme emergency but the condition is in no way dangerous just uncomfortable and terrifying. There is also an opperation you can have to turn the two tubes into one.

I advise anyone to pester their doctor into referring them to a specialist and dont take no for an answer. This will give you peace of mind which can reduce the risk of palpitations anyway through stress.
I know that was a long waffle but if I had seen something like that 6 months ago I might not have thought I was about to die all the time.
Good luck to all!

Just a quick note - I posted here probably about a month ago about my annoying (and disturbing) PVCs.  I took the common consensus on the magnesium supplements - read up a good bit, learned it wouldn't be a problem to take more.  I've kept my atenolol down at 12mg (half my 25mg prescrip), taking my regular multi-vitamin each day, and a magnesium pill every other day.  Whether it's attributed to that, or the decrease (near avoidance) of caffeine, extra exercise, and more sleep) I can't say.  

However, my palps have mostly gone away, only a few once in a while now, and a minor 5-minute episode the other night.  The magnesium level is still below the RDA level anyhow, so I'm not too concerned about that.  I'm keeping up the exercise and definitely getting more sleep :)

At least it looks like I can deal with these now.  Perhaps it's just nature's way of telling us to chill out.  Take care all.
hi everyone, im 24 yr. old from israel, im having those palpitaions ..DAMN DAMN DAMN..i cant deal with it anymore..
i'm taking vitamin b and coq10 enzime..
i have Flutter for about 5 days each morning and treated with beta blockers..
i would really appreciate a email pal..
email me please!!!
***@****
I am sitting here reading all of this and feel a little better although not that much.  I'm just so confused at my symptoms.   I am a 22 year old female.  My bouts with palpitations began about 5 months ago. Back then, I changed a lot of things in my life and went through a state of depression, separation anxiety, and general anxiety.  I also developed panic attacks during that time.  I have been feeling better recently and saw a cardiologist.  He did an EKG, Echo, and 24 hour holter.  All came back regular.  He pronounced that my experiences were benign.  I sometimes still get the sensations although they only last for 2 seconds or so.  But my dilemma is that I'm not sure if it is an actualy palpitation or gas moving through my body.  I have had some expereinces with gastrointestinal symptoms, including a lot of gas, bad stomachaches, etc.  Is it possible that my sensations could be more related to that than my heart?

Also, I have become extremely anxious and nervous about the functioning of my heart.  I think about if it is going to begin the fluttering or increased rate.  I have stopped exercising for fear of my heart beating too fast.  Could my symptoms also be more related to this as well as to my mental state?  Could I actually be causing this to happen because I'm actually thing about it?

Please give me some feedback!!  It is so comforting to hear that I am not alone.

Amanda
see mr stomachs post under "tachycardia and G.I. problems"....i think hes on to something!
Reading all of these entries has been so interesting and also somewhat reassuring.  The saying "misery loves company" seems to apply here as epsiodes of PVC's certainly seem to create misery for all of us who suffer from them.  I'm not happy to hear that so many others suffer from them but find it interesting how similar our feeling about them are:  How frightening they are; how much they can become the focus of one's day; how they can undermine self-confidence and even make a person very depressed.
I have suffered for many years and take medications which normally control them fairly well.  Lately, though, there have been more episodes (after just having a normal EKG done!) and I found this site in looking for info on the internet.  I've been wondering lately if there is a connection between eating or digestive problems and increased PVC's.  I have been getting them almost every evening after eating.  And I also notice that they can be more common at night, lying down.  That seems to be true for some of you.  I'm thinking of trying the magnesium which some have found helpful.  I have no doubt that stress plays a role and that worrying about these, and expecting them, definitely makes them worse.  And exercise generally is helpful. I do think, though, that they are worse when I'm very tired. So, I've rambled on a  bit but would welcome comments from any of you.  The big question for me:  How do you stop worrying about something that makes you feel so bad; and how do you not let the stress of feeling them make them worse--the viscious circle?
I just want to put in my results from taking magnesium.  I have had heart palps all my life (I am 38).  They have been more frequent and severe the last year.  I went through the ER trips and the cardio workups and all the tests, got the standard answer "your fine", "reduce your stress", blah, blah, blah.  Doctor wanted to put me on meds, I said "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"  So I have just been living with it since my first major episode 8 years ago, which sent me to the ER.  Anyways, since finding this great site and reading about magnesium I thought I'd give it a try.  I am here to tell you that it has given me my life back.  I was having palps every couple of seconds, was driving me to near insanity, constantly on my mind, could not think of anything else.  Now after three weeks of taking magnesium I just realized the other day that they are gone.......I don't even think about them.  My mind is free and I actually concentrate on other things.  I have noticed that I might get 1 late at night before bed, but even those are not as strong and sharp as they used to be.  If all else has failed you and you do not know where to turn, give magnesium a try it might just do the trick.  It did for me and it is so much nicer being on a mineral supplement than some prescription med.  Plus, it's alot cheaper too!
I just want to thank each one of you for sharing your different
problems reguarding pvc's,pac's etc,it has helped me so much to know there are many very normal people out there who suffer from pvc's,pac's,rapid heart beat,anxiety etc.For many years I have been driving doctors and family members crazy w/ panic attacks &complaining of skipped beats only to be told that it's all in my head. I even had a doctor tell me that he no longer wanted to be my physician because he didnt take any of my ailments seriously.Finally,I found an excellent cardiologist who ran a number of tests(echo's,holter,event moniter& blood tests).He said that I was experiencing pvc's & pac's.Over the years my skipped beats have caused me much anxiety & panic attacks & I am having a hard time dealing w/ them.Even though the cardiologist continually reassures me they are benign I always seem to have something different crop up w/ them. For example I sometimes get a sharp pain w/ a skip,or I can sometimes trigger them by certain movements,like bending over,lying on my left side or making quick movements (hitting a punching bag,or turning suddenly).I am also starting to get them several in a row now at times.Does anyone out there experience any of these strange things,or am I truly going crazy.                                                                                                                                     Tim
I can initiate PVCs simply by:
lying on my left side
standing up quickly
eating too much
bending forward
"sniffling" quickly
tim,
i can bend over at the waist and cough, and send myself into psvt!!!!....needless to say, my g.i. was compleatly dumbfounded when i did it for him in his office, i think he $#!& himslf!!!....doctors still deny the link though.
Wow!  A co-worker turned me on to this site today after hearing about my heart episodes over the last year.  I am 35 years old, this all started last fall, 1999.  I have experienced every symptom listed on this site and I too am feeling frusterated and out of control.  The first visit to the cardiologist brought me to drinking more Powerade, etc.  He felt my body was low in electrolites due to my weight loss ( 10 pounds at that time) and the fact that I had started to run.  Then they blamed it on the sinus meds I was taking for my allergies, went cold turkey on all meds and it still was happening.

Everything was fine over the summer, I'd feel the skipped beats every so often, then, WAMMO...I landed in the ER twice in the same week in September.  I felt like I was going to pass out, the beats were pounding and flipping right out of my chest.  It was, I believe, v tach or b phib or something like that (with every normal beat I was having an extra).  Finally, someone could see what I have been feeling and the holter, EKG, etc. were not picking up.  I wasn't going crazy!  Well, since then I have been on Atenolol 25 mg to start, then they had to up it to 50 mg once a day.  This really seems to help, however the flutters and extra beats are picking up again.  Running on this beta block is like dragging a lead weight behind me, but I'm forging on and follow up with the cardiologist in December.

They, the doctors, say I have a structurally normal heart and they don't really know why this all is happening.  Well, normal was what my heart was a year ago, THIS is NOT normal.  Sorry...you can't pull that wool over my eyes.

Thank God for this site, sometimes I feel so alone in this.  Good luck to all and I will be surfing this site often.  :)
I have been on toprol 50 mg. twice daily for about a year now.
For the past couple of years I experience fast heart racing, that was my first sympton, then all these weird either extra or skipped beats, then sometimes I will feel a flutter or slow beating, then I cough or do something with a quick motion, and then it goes to a fast beating, then down to the normal rate. Sometimes with this event when it starts I feel like I may pass out, and I get a hot flush feeling.
The toprol has helped all these symptons, but I do still get them, but the intensity is less.
The past couple of days when I get up in the morning my heart starts to go crazy. It's starts to race, and if I bend down and get up it beats super fast, or if I take a deep breath it speeds up or if I should cough. I suppose to take the torpol twice daily and I have did miss a dose yesterday, also I feel my menstrual cycle has a lot to do with it.
Does anyone heart symptons start to really act up when they are close to the date of their period? If so, please post your comments on this forum. Thanks.
I wanted to add to my comment above, that I also get the fast heart beating more prevelant during that time of the month, also they will start up during this time, after a meal, sometimes before a meal. I was wondering if hormones could play a big part with these symptons of fast beating, weird beats, etc.
I get these symptons all through the month, but much more right before, and during that time of the month. There must be some connection. It just seems funny how I can go through some days absolutely fine, then some days I have all these symptons, as if the toprol it not even working. Sometimes I don't want to eat because I know 15 minutes after, my heart will start up. It is hard to do normal routine things when your heart is beating on and off super fast. If any one else has these symptons or close to them please post your comments. Thanks.
Valerie
If you peruse some of the previous comments on this web site you will see that MANY women experience increased heart problems around menses.  Personally, I can predict the start of my period by the increase in PVC/PAC and tachycardia that I experience.  Being a scientist I have also read some journal articles which recommend electrophysiological studies be performed on women when they are peri-menstrual, as there is more chance then of documenting arrhythmia.
I made the caffeine connection when I realised that my palpitations would come dead on 12 hours after I'd had a coke or coffee. I wake up with my heart pounding away, and if I counted back 12 hours I could remember having one of those drinks or some chocolate (or all of the above).

good luck, everyone.
My cardiologist told me that definately hormonal changes can bring on PVC's...its the hormonal shift.  I get them severely a few days before, during, and a few days after Mean Old Aunti Flo (w)....
For anyone who smokes, has diabetes, or has a parent, family member, or friend who may be a candidate for a heart attack...check out this site www.maxpages.com/thedayhedied