palpitations - why can't they diagnose anything????
I am a 38 year old female who has really been through the ringer getting my heart checked out.  I have been for ultrasounds, EKG's, two unsuccessful ablations and probably any other testing that you can imagine.  The doctors say that I have a structurally normal heart and not to worry about what I feel.

I have been diagnosed with PVC's, short runs of SVT, and non-sustained v-tach (which I don't think happens too frequently).  I have been on numerous beta-blockers which I do not do well on and I still feel every skipped beat that I get.  I find I get really bad headaches and my blood pressure is super low 80/56 when I am beta blockers.  I naturally have low blood pressure so I think the beta blockers make it even lower.

Why can't they find out why my heart acts up all of the time?  I constantly feel skips, a fluttering sensation and sometimes it just starts pounding for no reason at all!!!!  I can't stand it anymore.  There is not a day that goes by when I don't feel something funny going on in there and it really scares me.  Is there not some operation that can fix what is going on????  Since they have found all of these things that are happening (ie: the PVC's - approximately 10 a day, but really hard ones, svt and non-sustained v-tach), why do they tell me not to worry?????  They have said I could go on an anti-arrythmic if I wanted to but it was not necessary.  I DO NOT want to go on an anti-arrythmic, I am too scared to go on it.

What else can I do?  I am driving my doctor crazy, I go back to her probably once per month and tell her I can't take this heart issue anymore.  She is always very nice to me but I am at the point I am embarrased to go see her because she says she does not know where else to send me.  

What can I do??  Am I driving myself crazy with this.  I really feel there is something wrong in there but everyone tells me there is not and a lot of people get weird sensations.
To Neil,
I just found this website last week. I couldn't believe all that I have read on so many other people feeling the exactly same way as I do. I hate to hear other people have these same stinking arrythmias, but it does help to know that your not alone, because that is usually how you feel, especially at first when you begin to experience these things. I have had alot of events, but only been to the E.R. once. Like yourself my husband raced me to the E.R. one night in february of 1998, after a whole day of feeling all different things. It started from the time I got up that day until the E.R. that evening. They also did all the same tests, except for the holter monitor, which I received from a cardiologist I started to go to about a month later. When you first feel your heart racing like that it scares the hek out of you, but like a panick sets in, which makes the racing much worse. I actually felt immediately better when I went to the E.R. because your not home guessing and wondering what is going on. You almost automatically feel better because you feel they know what your telling them, which is a calming and reassuring feeling.
Take Care.
Ingrid,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I sensed a lot of similarity between our experiences, and had to post to you.  What is the overall timeframe you have had this situation occurring? Don't be embarrased to return to your doctor. Be pleasant, but persistent.   Are you near a major metropolitan area, or remote region? That can influence your options. Obviously, you have seen a specialist for the ablations.  What was said after the unsuccessful ablations? My blood pressure is 90/60 while on Atenolol 100mg/day.  It has gone down to 70/56 once.  It does not present any problem for me.

Keep me posted on your situation. I will continue to monitor this forum and thread.

Keith
Oh my God, I can not tell you how both relieved and frightened I am at the same time.  When I read your message just moments ago, it was just like me writing the letter.  Everything you have said is exactly what I have been experiencing for years.  I am 33 years old.  I have noticed problems with my heart since I was 15.  I have been going to doctor after doctor with the same reply.  Nothing is wrong with you.  I did have several doctors tell me that I probably had Mitral Valve Prolapse and prescribed Inderol for me.  I studied up on this extensively, and although I have many of the symptons, it just didnt seem right.  Last August I went back to the cardiologist and told him that I was fed up with feeling this way.  He said "that he was really sorry and he did not doubt my discomfort, however, unless they could actually see something on an EKG then he couldnt tell me anything more."  The problem was, that anytime I was having an attack, I wasnt able to get in to see the doctor, so he was not able to see what was going on.  I constantly feel my heartbeat and I have occasional mild attacks.  But at the onsought of a "Big Attack"  I get this strange headache and feel extraordinarily tired.  The attacks last for a week.  They scare me to death.  I finally went to the hospital last week and made them put a holter moniter on me while the attacks were happening.  They called me today, to inform me that I had PVC.  And what do you think they told me......"It's no big deal, your heart is structurally sound.  You can take your Inderol if you want, but there is no need to worry.  The problem is, that when these attacks happen, I feel like I am dying or could die.  I don't know what to do and I am sick of feeling this way.  I share your feelings 100%.  I read some of the comments that people made that said just get over it they have the same problem and its just life kindof attitude.  However, from reading your message you sound just as desparate as me and just as frightened and fed up.  I totally understand this and am so happy just to find someone after all this time of thinking I was crazy, to feel just like me.  Sincerely.  Please feel free to respond to this if you feel like it.  ***@****
I know exactly what you're saying. I started feeling weird things with my heart since 1993. I was 33 at the time, and didn't see anyone about it until I had no other choice in feb. 1998, when my heart was going nuts all day long. The following month in march of 98, I saw a cardiologist for the first time, and he said the same" nothing wrong, picture perfect heart." But he did want me to start toprol. I went to a second cardiologist because I really didn't want to srart medication. After all the tests, he says the same. He doesn't doubt what I say I'm feeling, but he said he got to get it on paper. I have had event monitors, and holter monitors, and my syntoms were not recorded. But he did put me on toprol. It is so frustrating and scary. I think the worst part has to be is when you feel so lousy on and off, and I try not to complain too much, but when you do say something, I get the feeling people don't believe me. I get that feeling sometimes from my mother in law and sister in law. I come from a family both on my father and mother side that has heart problems. My mother had been on inderal since she was 40, she is now 72. My sister has dealt with these problems since 1985 and had a ablation done in 96. My 15 year old nephew heart rate one day this past jan. went to 245, this was the first time he ever had any problems with his heart. He had an ablation done in feb. Now my neice who is 17 just started to have a fast heart , and she currently has an event monitor. Hopefully things will get resolved.
Alot of you with mitral valve prolapse may have "mitral valve prolapse syndrome". It is a syndrome of symptoms related to dysautonomy of the nervous system. Palpitations such as PVC's and panic attacks are two of the symptoms. I bought a book by Lyn Fredrickson R.N., that helped me understand what was happening to me. If my heart goes really crazy I still tend to worry, but my anxiety has decreased tremendously. You can go to mitralvalveprolapse.com for more information. Wow, I don't mean to sound like an advertisement. I am a registered nurse and would just like to let you know what helped me. If you would like you can e-mail me at ***@****.
Father God, I come to you on behalf of everyone that has written to this forum discussing their conditoion.  Father , you created us and you know exactly what is going on inside our bodies.  And Father I pray right now in the name of Jesus that you would touch our bodies. Take away the irregualr beats, take away the rapid  heartbeats.  Remove any stress out of our lives.  Give us peace that passes all understanding. Lord do what only you can do.  When the doctors say no, or I don't know, we know Lord that you know all things.  So we claim healing in our bodies right now.  We come against every attack of the enemy.  Father your word says that by your stripes we are healed, and we stand on that word right now.  In Jesus name.  Amen.  Everyone be blessed!!!
Too bad you didn't post your name, or at least part of it,
"someone who cares," so that we can thank you for your
prayer.

That was a very nice thing to come in here and do (although
you'll likely get flack from some people about doing it).

Thank you,

----- Jerry
For 15 years I suffered from palpitations with heart rates up to 140 beats per minute at rest, dizziness, and shortness of breath.  I could go a year without any symptoms and then suddenly get symptoms for months.  Doctors pretty much told me that I was stressed and too young to have any heart problems.  You can imagine that over a 15 year period of time how frustrated I was.  In January 1999, I went to an electrophysiologist (a cardiologist who deals with electrical disturbances of the heart) and was diagnosed with arrythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia.  This is a rare, genetic heart condition which causes normal tissue of the right ventricle to die, and it is replaced by fatty tissue.  This condition is really in the "new" stages.  There is a research center and registry in Arizona, run by Dr. Marcus, however there is much inconsistency between physicians when it comes to long term prognosis and making the diagnosis, as well as treatment.  I am writing to you and ANY patient who may have a gut feeling that something is not right.  This condition is responsible for sudden death.  I do not want to scare anyone, after all I am now 35 years old and am still here, however, be an advocate for yourself.  Anyone with symptoms of unexplained ventricular tachycardia or persistent palpitations should raise the question of ARVD to their physician.  If your physician does not know what it is find one that does.  There are many sites to research about ARVD. Good luck and God bless!
To Neil,

I have to agree with John 100%. I have also recently begun magnesium, potassium, vitamin B complex(with Vit C), and Selenium. I also have been eating healthier and drinking more water. I have to say that my symptoms of the 'skipped beats' have improved drastically!!! I still feel it once in a while but it is way under control. I will continue this for the rest of my life if need be because the daily anxiety is being lifted and it feels wonderful!!

Lenore
Well, I've since been to the cardiologist for my following checkup. I got the "your heart is structurally sound" speech. He ordered one more blood tests for thryoid conditions...waiting to hear back on that one this week.  Turns out the echo was fine as well.

Okay, great - so I'm not going to die.  That doesnt seem to help me in the 'quality of life' category.  I've started taking the Atenenol after I had to leave work early again with a fast heartbeat, flushed feeling, some nausea.  25mg every day..which has noticeable slowed my heart rate.  So now I dont get those mild heart ramp-ups.  Instead, i'm getting more of the really strong, slow, out-of-synch extra beats for hours.  Those are really wearing me out (both from anxiety and the slow rate).  Are these common?  Do the rest of you experience these? It feels like someone's standing on my chest, and then i get those totally odd strong beats.  They seem to really throw a wrench in the beating pattern too... thump...thump..........THUMP.....THUMP........thump thump...  It's driving me batty.  They're tiring, I'm weak and lightheaded, get a headache feeling as well - and have to try to lie down to mitigate them some.  I've tried the coughing, torso stretching, brisk walks...not much seems to make them go away.  I'm going to cut back the Atenenol to 12mg tomorrow...I think my heart rate's too low (I know it's below my normal resting rate now), and try to talk to the doctor again.  I'm trying to plan some active vacations (hiking and snow skiing) but I don't simply see how those would be possible at this point. Any one have more experience with PVCs?  Mine only started a week ago, and i'm getting them for hours straight every day...sometimes i'm fine for several hours (and it feels SO peaceful).  Once you remove the source of these (be it stress/lack of sleep/caffeine) do they take a while to go away? I'm trying to stay positive, but it's really starting to hamper my functioning in life. I just feel lousy way too often.  Any tips/opinions appreciated.
Hi.  So many of us have posted under this one thread, and eventually the thread will be gone.   I suspect this board is actually more for people to post a question to the doc, rather than be used as an actual message board.

So what I'm wondering is.....does anyone know of a good cardiac message board that we could all post on?   I've been looking lately and haven't come up with one that appears active at all.  So I'm hoping that if anyone can find one that we could frequent, that'd be great if you'd come back to this thread and post the url for the message board.   There really seems to be the need.  

Niel. John here, 56 yrs wt/ht average in otherwise good health. I was diagnosed with "RVOT Vtac" after a treadmill stress test three weeks ago and the Card. MD put me on 25mg Atenolol Beta blocker twice a day.  I have had "missed" heartbeats with the BIG THUMPS after the missed beats for over three months now and my Dr. sent me for the stress test. My missed beats happened all of a sudden one morning after breakfast on my way to work, scared the wits out of me.  They continued happening daily, mostly after meals. The meds lowered my blood pressure and heart rate but also increased the amount of missed beats significantly.  It also took "all" my energy away, to the point where it was a chore to walk even slowly.  I stopped the meds after one week and started Magnesium supplements and a multiple vitamin, (about 350mg magnesium a day.) After one week of magnesium supplement my bloodpressure is still low,(107/74 after my morning shower)but my heart rate has increased to between 80 and 110. The thing is I feel so much better.  I still get missed beats a couple of times a day but nothing compared to before the meds and the stress test. My energy is back and my quality of life is getting to near normal.  I am going in for an Echo Cardiogram tomorrow and an appointment with an Electrocardio MD next week.  This forum has helped me understand my problem and given me peace of mind.  Thanks to all who have contributed.

Hi all,
  I cannot say it strongly enough that people who are suffering from these symptomatic PVC need to go see an electrophysiologist. Not just any doctor, but one with a good reputation. The problem is, as explained to me by my doctor, is that most cardiologists deal with coronary artery disease and HTN. They are the "Plumbers". Most of us on this thread have a problem with the electrical system in our hearts and that requires an "electriction". That is what the Electrophysiologist is. My EP doctor got on my good side right away when he told me that even though these pvc are not going to kill, it is your quality of life that counts. How do you concentrate on work or read or sleep when you have a constant pounding in your chest. I do not panic anymore. I know that this is a benign arrythmia, but I want it to go away. I, as a RN, have read many medical journal articles on ablating pvc and my doctor says that there is a 90 to 95% success rate. I hope I am in that majority. I am having it done tomorrow. Just seek out the best physician in the medical community and don't stand for, "it will be allright". Be advocates for your own health and seek out more opinions if you dont like the one you got. I have been through many medications in 1 1/2 years and now it is time to try something new. hope it works. I will reply back after the procedure.

Paul
Thanks for reminding us that God is in control of all things.  He did place the doctors and their knowledge here for us to use.
Everyone, just make sure you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and friend so that when you do die, we'll all meet in heaven.

I too suddenly began having PVC's in Jan of the year I was 38. Had all the tests, quit caffeine completely, no coffee, tea, chocolate or cola. Also no medicines with caffeine. It took exactly 7 weeks for the PVC's to stop. I had over 600 on the 24 hr Holter Monitor. I am now 44. I rarely get PVc's They tend to occur when I'm premenstrual or if I eat a large meal. Like I said they are rare now! You can feel them, but as long as you are not having chest pain, shortness of breath, you don't smoke and you have been cleared through your doctor, you should be OK.
I can relate to everything said on this board. I am a 50 year old male. I don't know all the lingo but i know the flutter in my chest, and have been told to learn to live with it. I'm told that lots of people have it and live with it. My heart never races, nor do i have panic attacks where i have to go to the hospital. Just a flutter, a irregular beat. I've learned how to mimimize it while laying in bed at night, when it's the worst. It comes for days and weeks, and then leaves for days and weeks. I can't discern a pattern, but i think perhaps, if there's any pattern, it's worst after i eat sometimes, and after i push myself too hard, or if i don't get enough sleep.
Here's a thought. I have been diagnosed with a "mild" Irritable Bowel." This too comes and goes with stress, etc. When i have it, i feel pressure in my chest, indigestion, and have to belch alot. After i belch alot, it seems to relieve the pressure and the palpatitions don't seem as bad. I've wondered if there's a connection. Anyone else have IBS, digestion problems, and wondered if it is connected with the flutter?

Ken Waite.  ***@****.
I don't care how benign they are, I hate hate hate hate hate
those stupid PVCs. They remind me at least once an hour
of my mortality, which is something I don't really need to
be thinking about that often. No amount of condescending
reassurance from the doctor is ever going to fix that.

The worst thing about skipped beats in an otherwise
healthy person is their unpredictability. Driving the car,
walking down the street, anywhere - anytime. One-offs,
in clusters, big PVCs, little PVCs: they show no mercy.

The only time I rarely notice them is when engaging
in physical exercise - is this because they tend to happen
less then, or because they are less likely to be noticed
when your heart is pounding hard anyway?

Sven
I have had PVC's for 3 years now.  The bottom line is, the more you pay attention to them, the worse they get.  If the diagnosis is PVC's, trust your doctor and move on with life.  By the way,
I have them almost everyday (sometimes several hundred a day) and sometimes I can go a week without feeling a "skip."
STRESS is a major factor.
Hello everyone,

I first posted here about a month ago. It was probably one of the best things I ever did for my health. Someone was kind enough to tell me about magnesium difficiency and what it does to the body, including abnormal heart rhythms. I immediately started magnesium and potassium supplements. Within a few days I noticed a drastic decrease in episodes of pvc's. Now, a month later, I barely feel them at all. Since that posting, I have been doing alot of my own research on magnesium difficiency and an amazing 28% of the American population is difficient in this much needed mineral!!!! The symptoms have a range from muscle cramps or spasms to Angina including abnormal heart rhythms!! I come back to the board I first learned how to improve my health to spread the word and possibly help a few more people. I realize this may not be the answer for everyone, but I feel in my 'heart' that a good portion of people who have this problem can find relief simply by supplementing their diets with this mineral. I urge you all to do the research on magnesium, you may want to even discuss this with your doctor first. But I think it is worth it for all of you to at least check it out! If I can help even one person escape the nightmare it will make me very happy! Good luck to all of you, and I pray the suffering will end!

Lenore
Hi Lenore, When you started the magnesium did you get tested and were you magnesium deficient?  My magnesium serum levels tested okay by my intracellular levels came back deficient.

Also, how much magnesium and potassium did you start with and how much are you up to now?  What kind of magnesium are you taking?  Are you taking any calcium?

Thanks, Lin
To Lin,

Before I started the magnesium I was not tested. I did some research of my own and determined that if this was not the problem it would not hurt me any so I figured I would give it a try. It did seem likely, however, to myself that I probably was difficient because only about 40 % of the magnesium ingested in absorbed. Also when you are under stress, the body "throws away" even more magnesium and boy was I under stress!!! I now know this was the case because it definitely is working!! I have not felt this good in a long time. This is what I have been taking: In the morning I take 250 mg of Magnesium, 99 mg of Potassium, B-Complex (which also contains C), and 50 mg of Selenium. In the afternoon, when I get home from work I take another 250 mg of Magnesium. When I make Iced Tea (which is a favorite in my house) I add a heaping teaspoon of Ester C powder (which includes some calcium). I also have been drinking alot of milk and choosing my diet very carefully (based on what I have been reading). A very good book that I highly recommend is: "Heart Healthy Magnesium" by James B. Pierce, Ph.d. He gives some good and easy to understand guidelines to follow. I believe in magnesium supplements with all of my 'heart' and I hope you will look into it for yourself. Unless you know you are, otherwise in good health or are taking any perscription medication, you may want to check with your doctor first. Good luck to you!!!

Lenore
Help!!!!!!!!
My friend has enlarged heart,arrythmia(skipping every 2,3,5 beats). I have to find  a good electrophysiologist in NY.
Thank you
Go to

http://www.swimstats.com/health/default.html

There is a ton of PVC info here and a message board and chat room.

Melissa
Thank you, Melissa!!!    I really have been looking for a long time.   Much appreciated.

Carol
to: Ken Waite

Ken:

I don't have IBS but when my palpatations began 2 months ago my doctor told me it could be from  acid reflex because burping was part of it all...(I also feel better for awhile after burping)....she put me on prilosec...which has cut episodes down at least 80% and I never have a problem sleeping anymore-which was the worst.I was tested for acid reflex and I do have some of it...I also saw a cardiologist and had an ekg, 30 day holter monitor ect...which showed PCV's......he said he's never heard of any connection between acid reflex and palpatations...however was surprised prilosec would make such a difference unless acid related...I've seen 2 other letters from people asking if anyone feels there's a connection between acid and pvc's......I'm glad my GP thought it was worth a shot......I still have them..and alittle confusing when GP says acid reflex and cardiologist says pvc's...........kind of scary too.............in checking all sites on acid reflex...palpatations are never mentioned and when checking sites for palpatations acid reflex and burping are never mentioned so other than 2 notes I've seen and the two of us ..no one else seems to connect it all?????????   After reading notes about magnesium I'm going to try that as well and am trying to watch what I eat....seems to play a big part....I don't want to stay on prilosec too long..  Take care!
I am so glad I have found this forum, Very Very interesting and now I don't feel so alone.
I am 35 yrs old female and for the past 5 years been suffering from heart palpataions.
First treated for High blood pressure, huh having your heart racing and feeling like it is gonna jump right out of your chest why wouldn't my blood pressure be high, doctor put me on high blood pressure medicine just like that.
Well that was about 4 years ago, still on BP medicine, but still having palpatations.
Last year while in my doctors office again for same thing yep you got it heart palpataions he did a ekg it was abnormal so he put me on a holter for 24 hrs refered me to a cardiologist and ordered blood and urnie test, cardiologist ordered MRI of kidneys (looking for tumors) more blood test and an echocardiogram.
He changed my blood pressure medicine from toprol to avapro,
Holter readings came back as abnormal, but all other test was just fine, except for urnine test said I had elevated epinephrine well that was the only thing they found, did a second urnine test and it was fine, so out of all the test they all was fine and I was sent on my way....but still have the palpations and  now take Avapro 100 mg, and toprol 50 mg per day with no relif for the heart pal.,
I do suffer from alot of heartburn and acid reflux in which I take pepcids for daily
Could these problems with my heart be from acid reflux?
Very interesting I seen two other letters here that stated this same thing....hummmmmm
Well to end this story I try to get on with my life and tell myself the doctors found nothing and all will be ok...but it is so so hard to do this and have these attacks and try and cope with them....
Now that I have found this forum I will not feel alone..
Lori
I'm so glad to have found this site. I've had the rapid beats, skips, thuds, and butterfly flutterings for many years. Been in the hospital, worn the holter, taken atenol (it dragged me down so bad I felt much worse), stress tests, etc., etc.
I never understood what was wrong with me. Were there any other people who felt the same wierd, frightening things and had the same concerns?
Finally found another doctor in 1998. He put me on his clinic's own calcium/ magnesium, multiple vitamin and vitamin E.
Within a few weeks, my symptoms lessened considerably and he took me off atenol.
I recently got lax about taking the cal/mag and everything came back - lying in bed with the flutterings, counting the skipped beats and dreading the thud that comes afterwards, counting the beats per minute just feeling wiped out.
I got back on the cal/mag a few days ago and already have relief. It works for me.
I thank the Lord that He has given natural substances (with no side effects) for our benefit.
I hope all of you also find relief soon from this misery.
Hi, I am glad that this site posted by Ingrid  Sept. 8 and up to date still attract alot of respond.

I have similar problem like Kelly, Everyday I have alot of hic up, I have irregular beats (estopic) beat and also went for Cat ablation. But I am still having my estpic beat . Iam on amiodarone and aspirin for last 6 months. After I read this site, Iam started taking managsium and Multi vit.

My cardio. said that hicup is noting to do with irreggular beats. Any reader have advice, please email to ***@****

Thnks.
I wonder about the relationship between Protonix and these skipped beats.  I find it interesting that mine started just after starting Protonix.
I have a few ideas that help my symptoms. Eating more frequently but not as much at a time seems to help. I realized that my heart begins skipping after I eat. It is the "HEART RATE CHANGE" biomechanism within some of us that is causing problems. Even watching an exciting movie can start it, because the heart rate is being elevated. Could it be that the rate change mechanism is like a corroded switch, causing aberrations in heart rythm as it "adjusts" the heart rate? I know all cases are not as mine, but thinking of it this way makes me feel a little better, especially since the doctor doesn't find much wrong with my heart physically and says it is a strong heart. Hope this helps someone. For me it's not a cure, but the effect is a lot quicker than magnezium, although I'm not ruling magnezium out. I'm no Doc but I think my little theory is quite logical; at least it makes me less fearful and it actually helps.
As the cardio suggested above - I've been on Flecanaide for about 1 month now and am feeling better.  The Beta Blockers did not work for me either.  I have a healthy heart - it just skips a lot (PVC's), so we tried the flecanaide and so far so good .  They have not gone away - but I do feel better and am not having the side affects from the Beta's like low blood pressure etc...  Best of luck to all of you - ask about this drug - it's worht trying if your heart is healthy !  :-)
Somehow I think perhaps its something we are not considering.
1. If it is air pollution there is little that can be done.
2. The same goes for electromagnetic radiation.
3. When was the last time you checked the ingredients of your    deodorant? A stab in the dark? Maybe not...Putting triclosan    or aluminum clorohydrate on your body may be approved by the FDA, but how safe are these chemicals if you spray them under your arms for 30 or more years?  
Just some thoughts...
Anyway I have been taking magnesium, eating more banannas, vitamin E, aspirin, multivitmin and even zinc for awhile now.
Missed beats still range from 1 in 5 to 1 in 50 randomly.
Anyway, strangely I'm not afraid anymore. My condition has been with me about 3 months now. In my 20's and 30's it would disappear for years but now it looks like its here to stay.
25 mg metropolol twice a day does little good.
Well so much for you all reading about my crazy ideas.
I dont know any of the fancy terms or even exactly what it is I've got but about 5 months ago I was relaxing at home and my heart bagan to race. My boyfriend called an ambulence and when they did an ECG my heart rate was up to 210 BPM. I've never been so frightened in all my life, feeling like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I'm 19 and when I went back to my doctor she said there was nothing wrong with me and it had been caused by the alchohol and cannabis I had indulged in that night.

I immediately stopped doing anything that might cause it and didnt drink or smoke for ages. I would take my pulse every 5 minutes and be scared to even sit in a bar if it was smokey.

I went back to my doctor because it was still happening even though I was taking care of myself, and she eventually sent me to a heart specialist. By this time I was convinced that he was going to say the same thing but to my amazement he told me what was wrong.
How he described it was that where most people have one cable going into their heart, mine is divided into two. Most of the time one is asleep but sometimes it wakes up causing the heart to beat double time. He said he suffered from the same thing. Although I dont know the exact details, it was a breath of fresh air for someone to tell me that it wasn't in my head.
He told me more methods of getting rid of it, eg. drinking a fizzy drink or crushed ice and prescribed me with beta-blockers for extreme emergency but the condition is in no way dangerous just uncomfortable and terrifying. There is also an opperation you can have to turn the two tubes into one.

I advise anyone to pester their doctor into referring them to a specialist and dont take no for an answer. This will give you peace of mind which can reduce the risk of palpitations anyway through stress.
I know that was a long waffle but if I had seen something like that 6 months ago I might not have thought I was about to die all the time.
Good luck to all!

Just a quick note - I posted here probably about a month ago about my annoying (and disturbing) PVCs.  I took the common consensus on the magnesium supplements - read up a good bit, learned it wouldn't be a problem to take more.  I've kept my atenolol down at 12mg (half my 25mg prescrip), taking my regular multi-vitamin each day, and a magnesium pill every other day.  Whether it's attributed to that, or the decrease (near avoidance) of caffeine, extra exercise, and more sleep) I can't say.  

However, my palps have mostly gone away, only a few once in a while now, and a minor 5-minute episode the other night.  The magnesium level is still below the RDA level anyhow, so I'm not too concerned about that.  I'm keeping up the exercise and definitely getting more sleep :)

At least it looks like I can deal with these now.  Perhaps it's just nature's way of telling us to chill out.  Take care all.
hi everyone, im 24 yr. old from israel, im having those palpitaions ..DAMN DAMN DAMN..i cant deal with it anymore..
i'm taking vitamin b and coq10 enzime..
i have Flutter for about 5 days each morning and treated with beta blockers..
i would really appreciate a email pal..
email me please!!!
***@****
I am sitting here reading all of this and feel a little better although not that much.  I'm just so confused at my symptoms.   I am a 22 year old female.  My bouts with palpitations began about 5 months ago. Back then, I changed a lot of things in my life and went through a state of depression, separation anxiety, and general anxiety.  I also developed panic attacks during that time.  I have been feeling better recently and saw a cardiologist.  He did an EKG, Echo, and 24 hour holter.  All came back regular.  He pronounced that my experiences were benign.  I sometimes still get the sensations although they only last for 2 seconds or so.  But my dilemma is that I'm not sure if it is an actualy palpitation or gas moving through my body.  I have had some expereinces with gastrointestinal symptoms, including a lot of gas, bad stomachaches, etc.  Is it possible that my sensations could be more related to that than my heart?

Also, I have become extremely anxious and nervous about the functioning of my heart.  I think about if it is going to begin the fluttering or increased rate.  I have stopped exercising for fear of my heart beating too fast.  Could my symptoms also be more related to this as well as to my mental state?  Could I actually be causing this to happen because I'm actually thing about it?

Please give me some feedback!!  It is so comforting to hear that I am not alone.

Amanda
see mr stomachs post under "tachycardia and G.I. problems"....i think hes on to something!
Reading all of these entries has been so interesting and also somewhat reassuring.  The saying "misery loves company" seems to apply here as epsiodes of PVC's certainly seem to create misery for all of us who suffer from them.  I'm not happy to hear that so many others suffer from them but find it interesting how similar our feeling about them are:  How frightening they are; how much they can become the focus of one's day; how they can undermine self-confidence and even make a person very depressed.
I have suffered for many years and take medications which normally control them fairly well.  Lately, though, there have been more episodes (after just having a normal EKG done!) and I found this site in looking for info on the internet.  I've been wondering lately if there is a connection between eating or digestive problems and increased PVC's.  I have been getting them almost every evening after eating.  And I also notice that they can be more common at night, lying down.  That seems to be true for some of you.  I'm thinking of trying the magnesium which some have found helpful.  I have no doubt that stress plays a role and that worrying about these, and expecting them, definitely makes them worse.  And exercise generally is helpful. I do think, though, that they are worse when I'm very tired. So, I've rambled on a  bit but would welcome comments from any of you.  The big question for me:  How do you stop worrying about something that makes you feel so bad; and how do you not let the stress of feeling them make them worse--the viscious circle?
I just want to put in my results from taking magnesium.  I have had heart palps all my life (I am 38).  They have been more frequent and severe the last year.  I went through the ER trips and the cardio workups and all the tests, got the standard answer "your fine", "reduce your stress", blah, blah, blah.  Doctor wanted to put me on meds, I said "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"  So I have just been living with it since my first major episode 8 years ago, which sent me to the ER.  Anyways, since finding this great site and reading about magnesium I thought I'd give it a try.  I am here to tell you that it has given me my life back.  I was having palps every couple of seconds, was driving me to near insanity, constantly on my mind, could not think of anything else.  Now after three weeks of taking magnesium I just realized the other day that they are gone.......I don't even think about them.  My mind is free and I actually concentrate on other things.  I have noticed that I might get 1 late at night before bed, but even those are not as strong and sharp as they used to be.  If all else has failed you and you do not know where to turn, give magnesium a try it might just do the trick.  It did for me and it is so much nicer being on a mineral supplement than some prescription med.  Plus, it's alot cheaper too!
I can initiate PVCs simply by:
lying on my left side
standing up quickly
eating too much
bending forward
"sniffling" quickly
I just want to thank each one of you for sharing your different
problems reguarding pvc's,pac's etc,it has helped me so much to know there are many very normal people out there who suffer from pvc's,pac's,rapid heart beat,anxiety etc.For many years I have been driving doctors and family members crazy w/ panic attacks &complaining of skipped beats only to be told that it's all in my head. I even had a doctor tell me that he no longer wanted to be my physician because he didnt take any of my ailments seriously.Finally,I found an excellent cardiologist who ran a number of tests(echo's,holter,event moniter& blood tests).He said that I was experiencing pvc's & pac's.Over the years my skipped beats have caused me much anxiety & panic attacks & I am having a hard time dealing w/ them.Even though the cardiologist continually reassures me they are benign I always seem to have something different crop up w/ them. For example I sometimes get a sharp pain w/ a skip,or I can sometimes trigger them by certain movements,like bending over,lying on my left side or making quick movements (hitting a punching bag,or turning suddenly).I am also starting to get them several in a row now at times.Does anyone out there experience any of these strange things,or am I truly going crazy.                                                                                                                                     Tim
tim,
i can bend over at the waist and cough, and send myself into psvt!!!!....needless to say, my g.i. was compleatly dumbfounded when i did it for him in his office, i think he $#!& himslf!!!....doctors still deny the link though.
Wow!  A co-worker turned me on to this site today after hearing about my heart episodes over the last year.  I am 35 years old, this all started last fall, 1999.  I have experienced every symptom listed on this site and I too am feeling frusterated and out of control.  The first visit to the cardiologist brought me to drinking more Powerade, etc.  He felt my body was low in electrolites due to my weight loss ( 10 pounds at that time) and the fact that I had started to run.  Then they blamed it on the sinus meds I was taking for my allergies, went cold turkey on all meds and it still was happening.

Everything was fine over the summer, I'd feel the skipped beats every so often, then, WAMMO...I landed in the ER twice in the same week in September.  I felt like I was going to pass out, the beats were pounding and flipping right out of my chest.  It was, I believe, v tach or b phib or something like that (with every normal beat I was having an extra).  Finally, someone could see what I have been feeling and the holter, EKG, etc. were not picking up.  I wasn't going crazy!  Well, since then I have been on Atenolol 25 mg to start, then they had to up it to 50 mg once a day.  This really seems to help, however the flutters and extra beats are picking up again.  Running on this beta block is like dragging a lead weight behind me, but I'm forging on and follow up with the cardiologist in December.

They, the doctors, say I have a structurally normal heart and they don't really know why this all is happening.  Well, normal was what my heart was a year ago, THIS is NOT normal.  Sorry...you can't pull that wool over my eyes.

Thank God for this site, sometimes I feel so alone in this.  Good luck to all and I will be surfing this site often.  :)
I have been on toprol 50 mg. twice daily for about a year now.
For the past couple of years I experience fast heart racing, that was my first sympton, then all these weird either extra or skipped beats, then sometimes I will feel a flutter or slow beating, then I cough or do something with a quick motion, and then it goes to a fast beating, then down to the normal rate. Sometimes with this event when it starts I feel like I may pass out, and I get a hot flush feeling.
The toprol has helped all these symptons, but I do still get them, but the intensity is less.
The past couple of days when I get up in the morning my heart starts to go crazy. It's starts to race, and if I bend down and get up it beats super fast, or if I take a deep breath it speeds up or if I should cough. I suppose to take the torpol twice daily and I have did miss a dose yesterday, also I feel my menstrual cycle has a lot to do with it.
Does anyone heart symptons start to really act up when they are close to the date of their period? If so, please post your comments on this forum. Thanks.
I wanted to add to my comment above, that I also get the fast heart beating more prevelant during that time of the month, also they will start up during this time, after a meal, sometimes before a meal. I was wondering if hormones could play a big part with these symptons of fast beating, weird beats, etc.
I get these symptons all through the month, but much more right before, and during that time of the month. There must be some connection. It just seems funny how I can go through some days absolutely fine, then some days I have all these symptons, as if the toprol it not even working. Sometimes I don't want to eat because I know 15 minutes after, my heart will start up. It is hard to do normal routine things when your heart is beating on and off super fast. If any one else has these symptons or close to them please post your comments. Thanks.
Valerie
If you peruse some of the previous comments on this web site you will see that MANY women experience increased heart problems around menses.  Personally, I can predict the start of my period by the increase in PVC/PAC and tachycardia that I experience.  Being a scientist I have also read some journal articles which recommend electrophysiological studies be performed on women when they are peri-menstrual, as there is more chance then of documenting arrhythmia.
I made the caffeine connection when I realised that my palpitations would come dead on 12 hours after I'd had a coke or coffee. I wake up with my heart pounding away, and if I counted back 12 hours I could remember having one of those drinks or some chocolate (or all of the above).

good luck, everyone.
My cardiologist told me that definately hormonal changes can bring on PVC's...its the hormonal shift.  I get them severely a few days before, during, and a few days after Mean Old Aunti Flo (w)....
For anyone who smokes, has diabetes, or has a parent, family member, or friend who may be a candidate for a heart attack...check out this site www.maxpages.com/thedayhedied