Heart Disease Community
palpitations and coughing, is this serious?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

I am a 24 year old male, with normal weight(my height is 5'10'' and weight 166lbs). I have never been diagnosed with any condition in the past regarding my heart. Well, since last month, I have been having episodes of palpitations and coughing that has been happening everyday. I haven't put much attention to it, since I already have had palpitations and coughing in the past, but it has been consistent and has been happening every day lately. I remember last year, around November, I went to the doctor for a similar reason, and everything was fine. Lipid profile, EKG, and general check up was all good. I am a bit concern on the fact that this has been happening every day, and at times I may feel chest pain and/or discomfort. Also, from time to time, I feel like a "rushing" feeling in the chest(is hard to explain). Is sortodf like when a leg comes back from being numb, that kind of rushing feeling. I did ask a friend of mine who is a cardiologist, but she said it is highly unlikely that I developed any serious condition. I do exercise and it has not affected me at all, but it concerns me. I have had a history of anxiety and such, and lately, I have been consuming a bit more caffeine than what i did back then. She said is most likely that. She did advised me to go to the doctor just to be on the safe side, but I was just waiting on how this progresses. It hasn't worsened since it started tho, it has just been the same, maybe a bit better, but still there.

What do you guys think it may be? I will schedule a doc appointment soon, but in the meantime, I would like to hear some opinions.

Cheers and thank you :)
If you are having the palpitations daily, a monitor would be useful, they are usually not unless the symptoms actually occur when you wear it, however in your case it would be, to fill in the symptom diary is important too,

Of course lifestyle modification such as caffeine etc can be useful trials,

On the whole doesnt sound like anything serious, but get checked out to be sure,

Sorry for the LATE~ reply. Since I was really concerned, I did took the advice and decided to do go do a holter monitor test. I also took an EKG test and a few minor tests to check my heart. My cardiologist said everything is normal and I should not worry. She said no further testing(such as an echocardiogram) is necessary. She did said to change my lifestyle, less greasy/fatty food, , no caffeine, and more exercise. She said that most palpitations also occur for dehydration and/or lack of liquids. I do agree in all as all of the above I am having trouble with. So, based on all of this, do you think is enough to discard anything serious?

Thanks and cheers :)