Heart Disease Expert Forum
palpitations and headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

palpitations and headaches

I am 35 year old athletic female with a history of migraines, Raynuad's (common vasospasm disorder) and hypersensitivity to long acting beta agonists (i.e., salmeratol).   I recently have had an increase in heart palpitations, that I suspect are PVCs.  My echo came back normal with borderline mitral valve prolapse and my holter was said to be normal (although I do not have details yet).  

I noticed on these message boards that people talk about how 'annoying' and 'scary' palpitations are, but I never see a comment about associated headaches, migraines, or neck cramps. When my palpitations are bad I get intense throbbing up my neck to to the top of my head with each beat. Sometimes I also experience parethesia and cramping along my neck and lower left face.  Does anyone else experience these kinds of symtoms (symptoms) - or is this more unique to me because of my history of migraines and primary Raynaud's?
I am not aware of any described connections between the incidence of migraine headaches and Raynauds, either primary or secondary in nature.
To Clevelend Clinic:
There is an increase in findings between primary Raynaud's and migraines as both are suspected to be related to vasopasm disorders.  A recent article in pubmed suggests that there is a possible genetic link between Raynaud's and migraines.  For example [PMID: 15518590 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]:

"CONCLUSIONS: We have confirmed an association between hypertension, migraine, Raynaud's phenomenon and coronary artery disease, and shown that a single genetic factor underlies them. The demonstration of a shared genetic factor explains the association between them and adds weight to the theory of an inherited predisposition to vasospasm."

I suspect one would find that people with palpitations (particularly to amphetamines and long acting beta agonists (Salmeterol), primary Raynaud's, and migraines actually have an abnormal response to alpha or beta-adrenergic receptors, particularly, as these participate in an agonistic manner in all these disease symptoms.

I would like to know if there is a relation to heart palpitations and migraines in other literature or anyone's personal experience.  

I am a 36 yo female with chronic migraines (nothing seems to help).

After 2 ablation proceedures on my heart, I am waiting for a 3rd. I'm still going into afib and a flutter regularly. I have palpitations constantly.

I have never heard of Raynauds but do complain about circulation in my hands and feet.

I was seeing a chronic pain specialist for my migraines and she feels the my heart condition, problem with circulation in hands and feet, and migraines are linked.

feel free to e-mail me ***@****
I am a 36 year old woman, I have a history of severe headaches, I have always thought of them as tension headaches coming up from the back of my neck, stress induced and chiropractic adjustments and massage helped, but I had one recently that was so sever I threw up. Shortly after that, I suddenly started having a raised heartrate and high blood pressure for the first time in my life and it gives me headaches, just like you describe.  And then when the racing heart slows down, I get a kind of "hangover' feel, nauseous, exahaused and another kind of headache, like a caffeine withdrawal or dehydration headache. No tests are showing anything on my heart (except the tachycardia and high bp) or blood tests for thyrod.  If you have learned anything, I'd love to hear.