Heart Disease Expert Forum
palpitations with chest pain and left arm and left leg numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By Carla on March 09, 1999 at 18:32:53:

I am a 25 year old female and heart disease runs in my family.  I began having palpitations in Oct 1996.  Then, in Sept 1998, I began having frequent palpitations and then one night at 3am I awoke to severe chest pain and numbness in my left arm and left leg.  I also had shortness of breath and was very clammy and cold and my pupils were dilated.  I felt weird for the next week or so and then all of a sudden my palpitations disappeared.  Then they began again in the middle of Feb 1999, and a few weeks after that, I had another chest pain episode.  I am a recovered anorexic and I was wondering if three years of starving myself could have resulted in a weakening of the heart muscle.  I have not been drinking any caffienated beverages after this last episode, and the palpitations are still here, and are getting worse.  My doc told me they are called PVC's and that they are harmless, and that what I experienced on those two incidents was an anxiety attack.  I still think it might be something more serious.  Do you have any information that might help me? I also think that the doctors might be overlooking something because of my age and gender.