Heart Disease Expert Forum
paroxysmal atrial tachycardia and radio-frequency catheter ablation?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

paroxysmal atrial tachycardia and radio-frequency catheter ablation?

  My mother has paroxysmal atrial tachycardia. Can this be treated with radio-frequency catheter ablation such as is used in WPW syndrome?
  Any information about PAT and the different treatment options for it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Loretta Smith
Related Discussions
Avatar n tn

Dear Loretta,
Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia is an old term in a sense (it is still widely used),
and really there are at least three major types of atrial tachycardia, intra-atrial, ectopic, and triggered.
Suffice it to say that an electrophysiologist (cardiologist specializing in heart rhythm abnormalities)
is the investigator as such- s/he can test the rhythm in the EP lab which yields not only information regarding the type of
atrial arrythmia, but also the likelihood and feasibility of an ablation for potential cure.
There are medications too that do not always work completely, but they do usually reduce the episodes and hence the symptoms
(recurrences on medications often will need cardioversion to normal sinus rhtythm, followed by continued medical therapy.
Atrial tachycardias can occur in otherwise healthy individuals (with normal hearts) and they can occur in sick patients.  The incidence of
atrial tachycardias seems to increase with age, and very importantly, the arrythmia is rarely life-threatening.
I hope that this information has been useful, feel free to write again if you have more questions.
Information provided in the heart forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only, actual diagnosis and treatment can
only be made by your physician(s). If you would like your mother evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic, simply call 1-800-CCF-CARE and ask for an
appointment with one of the EP cardiologists (for example, Dr.Tchou, Dr.Cheung, or Dr.Kidwell.)

Continue discussion Blank
Request an Appointment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now