Heart Disease Expert Forum
paxil

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

paxil

What is your opinion on someone that is COMPLETELY OBSESSED with heart palpitations?  I have read some posting that Paxil seemed to help with the anxiety associated with heart palpitations.  I have skipped heartbeats that I feel every day.  I have been for all heart testing and all is negative.  I was considering going to the doctor and asking for a small dose (10mg) of Paxil to help me overcome my anxiety because of feeling these heart things.  Do you think Paxil is an alternative for someone like myself who has let these things completely take over their life?  I think about these things every waking moment!!!

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Barb
Yes, I think Paxil may be a reasonable thing to try and it would be good for you to discuss this with your doctor.Medicines such as Paxil can be useful for depression and associated disorders such as panic disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
barb,
i know how you feel its a scary thing feeling our hearts race,jump or skip i live in fear i take atenolol
Does the atenolol help your palpitations Shel?  I tried it and I found that it really did not help me at all.  I just felt tired with a really slow pulse rate.  I still felt all of the skipping, jumping and runs of PVC's.
Barb,

Hi!  I suffer from these cursed things also.  All day, every day.  I tried Paxil and I can't say that it helped me with my obsession with these palpitations (it did help with my OCD a little though).  I am coming off it now due to the side effects.  That's not to say that it won't work for you, though.  Paxil helps a lot of people.  

What really helped me was the gradual acceptance that these palps won't kill me.  It took 4 years, many doctors visits and a lot of suppport, but I can say that I don't fear them so much anymore.  They are annoying and uncomfortable, but I have actually learned how to ignore them.  Which was NOT easy.  

I also found that exercising 4 to 5 days a week cut them WAY down.  I actually have palp free days now, compared to 4 years ago when I was scared out of my mind all the time and lived in terror of these hateful things.  

Read up on Paxil as much as you can, it does have some nasty side effects, which you may or may not experience.  Also, be aware that it is not an easy med to come off of.  There is a withdrawal syndrome associated with it.  Whatever decision you make, be aware that there are always alternatives, some of the things I tried and found successful are: magnese, magnesium, taurine, folic acid supplements (my doc recommended a certain mix of these); exercise 4 - 5 times a week; no smoking; biofeedback; therapy and help from friends (I found it useful to call a friend when I was really scared and thought I was dying, I would say "I think I'm going to die from these."  And she would echo back to me all the info I gave her about how harmless palps were, or we would go for a walk, etc....).

Anyway, sorry to ramble on.  I wish you the best of luck.  Keep yourself informed and discuss all your alternatives with your doc.

Good Luck!

Christine
Hi  Can anyone tell me if having a sinus node ablation means I will need a pacemaker as well?  Thanks, Lois
My dr. was telling me on the phone, that if meds. didn't work on my IST then he would consider a sinus node modification through ablation.  He said this would be the last resort, because of the "possibility" it may lead to needing a pacemaker. So, it is only a possibility, in my case anyway.  I hope if you are considering getting one that you ask your dr. and research it. Don't be afraid to ask and don't be hasty!  Have you  researched it on this forum?
My doctor has talked to me about a sinus node ablation as well, and from what he has explained to me, more likely than not I will need a pacemaker.  At this time I have decided to wait on the ep study.  I am too young to rely on a pacemaker.  I am waiting until the procedure is perfected.
i also agree whole heartedly with Christine that acceptance of the vile PVCs helps alot.  I know this is not easy- I lived in all consuming fear for years and was convinced that they were going to kill me. As a consequence,  I became a kind of social hermit, too scared to go out and live life.  My very kind Dr helps me get through an attack of PVCs as does one banana a day-don't ask me how but i swear it has helped!good luck.
Did a banana a day really help?  I have taken magnesium and potassium supplements in the past and I still feel these darn things.  I have totally let them take over my life!!!!!!  What did your doctor do to help you get through these things????  I have just started on a 10mg dose of Paxil this week, but so far have not really noticed a difference in my anxiety level yet.  Please respond. Thanks!!!!
I read about the banana a day theory on this forum- I don't know how it works, perhaps I was lacking in something.  Sometimes I think it just a placebo effect, who knows?  Mind you, my arrythmia has not left me, I still get weekly bouts of tachycardia and PVCs including runs of them, its just that they seem less common than they were.  Honestly, acceptance has alot to do with it, but believe me I know this is next to impossible sometimes.  My GP and cardiologist are great- when I have a shocking week, I can call up my GP and he will have a chat over the phone with me about how I am going to be ok and that he has done every test and they all come back normal.  About a year ago I had the most frightening experience at Uni when I had about 2 hours of non stop PVCs and tachy and then fainting spells.  My cardiologist put me into hospital overnight and monitored me on ECG for reassurance.  I don't know how I could have got though it without my Drs.  I guess they are extra careful with me because I have a family history of sudden death, also my cardiologist's wife also suffers from PVCs so he is well experienced with them!  Hang in there,  I know how the rotten things can ruin  a life.  PJ.
my husband had been disgnosed with idiopathhic cardiomyopathy three years ago- he needed a heart transplant but is 71- too old in nj- he opted for medical management- now has a pacemaker and has developed muscle weakness which has been the cause of numerous falls-just out of a pt rehab he has gained 27 lbs of fluid in the past three weeks and now uses a w/c and rolling walker with help- the dr will not give me a prognosis- is there one?
Most normal people live happily everyday,  totaly oblivious to the fact that they will one day have a date with death. They eagerly make plans for both the short and long term future, never once considering the fact that they, themselves, might not be there to enjoy it. In my opinion, that is the difference between
I agree with Bob M. just having this forum helps with PVC's.  I have pretty much given up caffine, alcohol and try to exersize regularly.  I find that iced tea will give me PVC's right away so in the summer when a nice glass would taste good, I get to drink water.  When you are going through a period without the PVC's you're just waiting for them to start again.  Some one suggested yoga for relaxation maybe that is the next step.  I have stopped taking any drugs because I was just too tired. For all of you other sufferers the rest of us know what you are going through so chat with us on this forum
Nancy
I've been experiencing "skipped beats" for a few weeks now. They sometimes last for several hours and I find that particularly at night, they frighten me.  If I'm busy at work, I can ignore them better. It seems that after a big meal, I notice an increase in this feeling and I also feel the urge to cough when the beat skips.  I wore a heart holter for 24 hours, but I didn't get any skipped beats during that time. I've got an appointment with a cardiologist coming up soon, so hopefully he can reassure me that these are harmless. ( but very annoying, to say the least!!!)
The first time I noticed these sensations was right after I was exercising, so now I'm afraid to continue with my exercise program or even to go for a walk. Is it O.K. to exercise or should I wait for the results from my cardio. app't?
I get these skipped beats, extra beats, PVC'S   whatever you want to call them. I have had every test known to man and they all are normal. I would be willing to bet that exercizing will not harm you, but you should wait until the Doctor gives you the "OK" before resuming your normal routine. My Cardiologist told me that everyone gets these weird beats, just not all of us notice them. We are extra-sensitive to them. He said if we didn't get them it would be abnormal. That's Ironic, huh? :-)
Get your clean bill of health from your doctor and enjoy life to the fullest. Good luck!
Hi my name is Kimmie and I also suffer from pvc's . I have had these nasty things since i was 16 years old and I am now 24. When I was 16 I had them everyday until I was about 19 when I got pregnant.When i got pregnant the pvc's went away and then this last october they came back. Up until last month when I came down with the flu I was having them everyday. But when i got sick they disappeared again and i havent felt any since. Weird huh? To all you pvc suffers hang in there you are not alone!!!
I am a 28 year old female. I don't smoke or do drugs.  Iam a social drinker.  Lately though I haven't even felt like drinking.  I have been having these sweating episodes with shortness of breath and sometimes nausea and vomiting.  Weight loss and loss of apetite , fatigue.  I called my dr. and was put on Paxil then the events kept happening so I was told to only take 1/2 a tablet or not take the medication at all because this may be a side effect Im having.  The funny thing is that these are the same symptoms I was having before I was put on the Paxil. I spoke with a friend and she suggested a event monitor.  I am trying to get an appointment with my dr. asap. but I haven't heard anything yet. Just wanted to see if anyone out there new some answers while I wait for my Dr's office to call with an appointment.
I'm 53 and was first diagnosed with a heart murmur when i was in my early 20s.  I've been followed for this for years- id'ed finally as MVP in the 80s - I do experience the missed beats or palpitations, bouts of dizziness, some panic attacks, mood swings and racing pulse; some days they are worse than others and no predicting when symptoms will occur.  Caffeine seems to really affect it and tea less so than coffee and cola; chocolate too :-( At night palpitations can be especially scary; my husband travels a lot and some times when I experience them in the middle of the night alone, I wake up thinking I have to call him to say good-bye because I think I'm dying.   Also, I experience more fatigue as I get older but again some days are much worse than others and there's no way to know what tomorrow will bring (and I'm menopausal and so wonder how much of the fatigue is related to that. I found the NDRF website which has helpful information and suggests that the MVP may be affecting my quality of life more than I thought. They mention mood swings and said there is misdiagnosed psychiatric (esp. anxiety) disorders among dysautonomia patients. I have just always been considered a "worrier"(as though I could control it)and a generally intense or hyper person. It sounds like a lot of you have much worse palpitation symptoms than I do.  Hope and pray for us all to find peace of mind with this!! ^j^  ^j^  ^j^ angels watching over us
To Erik,
Thanks for the words of support and wisdom.  I've held off on my usual exercise program until my app't with the cardio. next week.  I also have noticed in the last week that alcohol(usually wine) make it worse, so I have cut that out as well.  I try to eat my last meal fairly early in the evening and that seems to help too. Anyway, thanks again for your comments and good luck to you too!
hi! i am 24f and on paxil.  been on it for a yr and a half...i had mvp and was still having palps after gettin on a beta blocker and was given paxil, it helped me a TON! but, i have gained liek 50 lbs and am wondering if any one else has had this happen to them....feel free to email me at kiana@a-znet,com thanks
Karen and others
I avoided meds for a long time but finaly tried the Paxil and have been on for 1 year and it has been great--serious increase in quality of life!!  I did gain weight (about 25 pounds) but I am slowly coming down on a high protein diet and daily exercise.
I am male, 35.
good luck!!