personality change
my son age 42 had a mitral valve repair,while in recovery he had a personality change and started to blame me and my wife for little things,we had alloted 2 weeks to stay with him and intended to come back to his home in a week going home after 2 weeks to take care of personal business and then stay with him and his wife while he recoved.he was very unhappy with us saying we deserted him but we had left our luggage with clothing at his home,when we were were calling to come back he said no and my other son drove there 250 milies away to pick up the suitcase,its been 3 months and he refuses to talk to us..
I don't think it had anything to do with the surgery itself. in my opinion, surgery can be ascary thing and your son might have been scared but yet didn't want to tell anyone that he was scared. he might have felt like you did "dessert" him. he probablly want someone with him 24/7 for maybe fear of passing away and didn't want to be alone. I don't know. but it is just an idea that this might have happened.
good luck and maybe he will realize you were doing what you needed to do on your end and that he IS going to be okay
michelle