Heart Disease Expert Forum
plavix

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

plavix

How long am I suppesed to take plavix after stint placement? Is taking aspiran with plavix healthy?   Thank you Mikel
If you had a drug eluting stent put in, I would say that you should stay on it for at least a year, maybe two.  Genereally, the longer you stay on it the better.
I had stent placement in July and was told I would be on plavix for 1 year. Also taking 325 mg aspirin daily.  At my follow-up appointment my Dr said I could cut down to the .81 mg aspirin after 3 months.  The plavix is very important especially if your stent is the medicated kind because they tend to form blood clots more easily. Good luck.
The doctor is going to give the defiinitive answer, but in my case, I was told to take Plavix for one year after having a drug-coated stent placed in an artery, and for three months after having a coated stent.  I've had both types placed in my arteries in the past three years, in fact eight of them.  Some were coated, some were bare metal, but I've just been taken off Plavix as it's been a year since the coated stent was placed.  I've taken 81 mg of aspirin since 1998 when I had my first heart attack.

I'm guessing that you have significant bruising from both the aspirin and plavix therapy.  I had  commercial salmon trollers for fifteen years not too far from you, and believe you have to have had a lot of bruising caused by the type of work you do. I remember well being beat up by the wave action and the hard physical labor, I'd certainly talk to the doc about that, your arms and fingers have to be taking quite a beating.  Also, I'd talk to him about the possibility of getting a severe cut from a knife or a hook and what to do about that if it happens because of the bleeding problems associated with these drugs.  Hopefully, you aren't smoking, and are eating lots of those fish you are catching, and avoiding the red meat, it's poison to you.  
Please keep up informed.