Heart Disease Community
portal hypertension

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

portal hypertension

I have a pressure inside my chest that  expands alot  and then my abdomen will swell really huge and shortness of breath.  could this be portal hypertension
Do you take any medication? Have you seen a doctor? If yes, do you have any diagnosis : heart or something else?
You mention portal hypertension.  Do you have any medical problems with your liver? The onset of portal hypertension may not always be associated with specific symptoms that identify what is happening in the liver. But if you have liver disease that leads to cirrhosis, the chance of developing portal hypertension is high. A symptom of portal hypertension is ascites (an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen). When there is "huge" distension that condition can cause a rupture and a serious event.

You should see a doctor to rule out any serious liver disorder, and determine the underlying cause of your chest and abdomen distention.

Thanks for your questions and if you have an further questions or comments you are invited to respond.  Take care,

Ken

The doc said my blood work is fine. I am a picture of health.  I don't take any medication and I am thankful for that.  All the doctors I have seen in the last year say something is wrong but they don't know what they just send me on to another doctor.   So far I have seen a nephrologists, endo, heart, lung, urologists, and next week I see the third gastro doc. I have had a upper/lower GI, ceilac, stomach emptying, heart sonogram, spinal tap, and i can't remember the rest test and all are fine.  I got some fluid pills from a friend and now when the swelling gets real bad i just take a fluid pill and that helps keep the pressure off my chest so i can breathe.  The swelling has gotten worse in the last month.  My face gets puffy now and i feel like there is a heartbeat in my calves.  I think i am just losing my mind but I Thank you for responding.
The usual protocol is to do a differential diagnosis by excluding all possibilities and if there is no diagnosis the medical condition is referred to ideopathic (cause unknown). Wish I could be of help, but it appears your doctors are doing what is expected.  

Ken