possible inferior wall infarct, age-undetermined
I'm a 57 y/o female, weight is 225. I had a pre-op ekg for minor surgery on my knee. The EKG came back as abnormal, possible inferior wall infarct, age-untermined. Surgery has been cancelled because of this report. I have a history of high blood pressure which is normally in control with my medications. I don't recall ever having any type of serious chest pain in the past. I do tend to become short of breath with activity, especially with climbing stairs and going up hills, but I tended to relate this to my weight and being very out of shape. How far back do the findings of "age-undetermined" go? Is it months, years? I havn't had an EKG in quite some time, so there isn't anything recent to compare this one to. I'm really upset about these findings since this is something that just surfaced with my pre-operative testing. I'm going to follow-up with a cardiologist- this is very overwhelming for me now, can't even think straight.

This discussion is related to abnormal ecg.
An EKG is not a very reliable source to determine heart tissue damage.  Because scarred tissue (previous MI) causes more resistance than normal tissue the wave length (measure of time) is longer for the area in question.  But there can be other reasons for delay of a specific wave form so it requires further testing.  An echo would be appropriate.  I believe the statistics for an EKG is about 20% for a false positive.

It is possible to have had a heart attack (MI) some time in the past (no way to determine when, just new or old) and not be aware, especially if one has diabetes.  About 4 years ago I had a silent heart attack and was VERY surprised to hear I had damaged heart cells.  Medication has been very beneificial.  You should not be a risk for a knee operation, and I'm sure they will go forward with the operation after confirming or ruling out any past heart condition.
I really appreciate your feedback. I'm following up with cardiology tomorrow and anticipate he will be doing an echocardiogram. I'm glad to know that your medications are helping you. Was there also other interventions you went through such as cardiac catherization? I'm also thinking ahead in case I need to go to some type of cardiac rehab and its long-term effectiveness.
I had a cath and stent in the RCA while in ER  for congested heart failure.  Barely remember anything for a couple of days.  Evidently, I approved the stent procedure!
I hope your report from the cardiologist comes back fine.  It sounds like your Dr. is checking out everything before surgery which is good.  I'm no expert by far but, as far as EKG's go; I don't think they're very accurate at all.  My doctor had always told me mine were ok (and they were all abnormal) and the only way I found out was reading my medical reports.  I'm a 40 yr old, 5.5  female and 165 pounds.  I'm beginning to wonder if becoming short of "breath with activity" isn't just because of my weight and/or lifestyle.

My mother had her knee replaced last year and is unstoppable now.  She was frustrated the first few weeks of rehab, but now she's very pleased that she had it done.  She walks everywhere.  I hope your cardio appt. and knee sx. goes great.  Keep us posted and best wishes.
I', 58 female schedule to have my bladder lifted tomorrow EKG report has shown a possible infract, cannot determine age.   I have had no seriouse chest pain.  I'm very active. My surgery is postponed.  I'm schedule to see cardiologist.  I was not expecting this news.