Heart Disease Expert Forum
pregnancy after valve sparing aortic root replacement surgery?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I'm 27 and have been treated for suspected marfan syndrom (syndrome) since the age of 7. I had the scoliosis surgery in '99 and just  under went valve sparing aortic root replacement surgery in July after having had my first child in December (busy year). Before having my son i always knew i had a bad aorta but it had been stable for over 8 years. I  was constantly monitered  through out my pregnancy by my cardiologist and obgyn. I'm my last two months of pregnancy the dilatation of my aorta almost tripled and it was thought that it would be for the best to deliver my son through c-section right away. Luckily i was at the 35/36 week line and he was born with only a slight breathing problem and we went home a week later. The surgeons  thought it would be best to let my recoup from the c section and then have the heart surgery. Which is exactly what happened. I had it done in July and everything has been great ever since. Now my son is getting close to his first birthday and my husband and i would like to make him a big brother. I'm i okay to start trying to concieve (conceive)  in January and what kind of pregnancy/delivery should i look towards having? Am i at risk of further dialations or possible dissections?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I'm glad your 1st child is doing well (as your are too!).  Even though you have an aortic root replacement, Marfans patients are still at risk for aortic and other major blood vessel dilatations and/or dissections.  Pregnancy places you at a higher risk for this given the normal physiology of pregnancy which entails your body having a much higher blood volume overall (among other things).  If you are planning on getting pregnant again, make sure you let your physicians know.  I presume that you had a full scan of your aorta prior to your root replacement; if there were aneurysms noted elsewhere in the aorta, these may need to be monitored with another scan prior to conception.  An aortic root aneurysm/dissection is certainly the most problematic of the aorta problems in Marfan patients, but you are essentially protected from that particular issue ever being a problem again! Hope that helps.
Thanks! I thought that was the case and it is what i had been told by two surgeons and cardiologist  prior and after my surgery. For some reason my local cardiologist, after having seen me and person and telling me everything was fine to have more kids, called me and told me i should not have any more children because i could have a dissection. I think i might need to change doctors.