Heart Disease Expert Forum
pros and cons of a pacemaker
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

pros and cons of a pacemaker

One cardiologist has me on dilatazium and warfarin to control my a-fib.  I am also a COPD patient using 2 litres 24/7.
Another has suggested a pacemaker.  I am torn between making this choice.  I have absolutely no energy and would stay in bed all day if I were able.  What are your thoughts?
Related Discussions
1551954_tn?1294273911
We typically only put pacemakers into patients with a-fib if they alternate between a fast heart rate and a very slow heart rate (usually less than 50 or so).  I would not put a pacemaker in for atrial fibrillation alone.  However, it sounds like you do not feel well in atrial fibrillation so it would definitely be worth try to get you out of it.  I would recommend that you be evaluated by an Electrophysiologist.  This is a cardiologist who specializes in abnormal heart rhythms such as atrial fibrillation.  Your primary cardiologist could refer you.  There are medications we can use to convert your rhythm out of a-fib and keep you out of a-fib.  There are also procedures which an Electrophysiologists could do to try and get rid of the rhythm for you.  They are 50% successful but do work for some patients.  

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979