Heart Disease Community
pulling sensation in left side of chest

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

pulling sensation in left side of chest

I have a pulling sensation on the left side above my heart.  It hurts when I reach for something, comb my hair but especially when I bend over.  it comes on as a quick pull no pain.  I am taking metoprolol that was initially given to me for a fast heart rate due to my thyroid med. being off.  My doc adjusted my medication but kept me on metoprolol due to the fact I have severe panic/anxiety disorder and PTSD which keeps my heart within normal range.  I'm wondering if this pulling co9uld be from the metro. I have been on it for about a year and a half to two years.  Any suggestions or ideas as what this pulling could be?  thanks
Look up the symptoms of costochondritis and see if that sounds like it might be the problem?  Try to see if there is a pinpointed area of your chest that is sore to the gentle pressure of your fingers.  Please let me know if you find one?
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your comment and info.  I went to the docs. today and you were right. I showed him the area where it hurt.  He pressed on it and I jumped because it was very uncomfortable.  He said he didn't think it was my heart but exactly the condition you had suggested to me.  He gave me a prescription for the discomfort.  Thanks again.
You're welcome!

So glad it wasn't more serious, though I know it can be quite painful!  You might, in addition to your prescription from your doctor,  want to see if moist heat soothes the area at all & if you can, try to rest the area for a few days.  

Also, I don't know if you are like me, but if you lean your elbow on a chair or anything like that, this can aggravate my costochondritis when I am having a bout of it.  So if you find out you are doing something you didn't realize that may be aggravating the condition, of course, you will want to try to avoid it.  :0)