Heart Disease Expert Forum
pulmonary stenosis secondary to fibrosing mediastinitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Could you please tell me if you have a stenosis at the PA and you don't see anything after the stenosis could it be hibernating and if not what would happen if you opened it up and there was no artery at the other end? I also needed to know if you could tell me why many Doctors would feel the procedure would not work ,but a Interventionist Cardiologist is convinced there is a artery on the other side just deflated from years of no blood flow. Please give me your input . Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear LILLYLOU,

It is hard to give you an accurate answer without reviewing your angiograms but I will try to give an opinion.
Stenosis in a vessel refers to an obstruction. Obviously if your vessel is 100% "stenosed", your doctors are not going to see the vessel beyond the obstruction. We use an intravascular dye to opacify the vessels and if there is no flow beyond the obstruction, it will not be visualized.
In my opinion, your interventional cardiologist is correct. You were very likely born with a normal vessel, and over the course of years, the vessel occluded and now it is not visualized. That does not mean, it is not present.
Whether you undergo a procedure to open that, is a more difficult question to answer and depends on several considerations including your symptoms, the length of blockage along with expertise of the operator among many other considerations.
I am not sure of your symptoms but I would certainly advise to seek a second opinion to make yourself convinced, if you are having doubts about having the procedure
Hope that helps

CCFHeartMD19
Thank you so much for your input. I'm a class IV and had to stop working because of the exhaustion. I want to have this procedure done so bad so I can be can have some quality of life. I have put this off because of the fear of what Pulmonary Doctors had told me. I do have two great Cardiologist at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus . He has performs surgeries all around the world and has saved many lives by inventing new stents and was the first to use cutting balloon angioplasty on FM patients like me. Thank you again for giving me hope.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I wish you good luck.
Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.