Heart Disease Community
pvc's and shortness of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

pvc's and shortness of breath

I have had these pvc's most of my life.  I am overweight, don't smoke, or drink alcohol ..  just was diagnosed with asthma/high blood pressure.  Very stressed/anxiety is awful... I am on diliazem for blood pressure, and toprol xl for the pvc's.  I get the pvc's and get very short of breath.  The shortness of breath lingers longer than it used to.  I get a little dizzy but maybe not at this same time.. I THINK the meds do this.. ?  I had a echo w/contrast, 2 EKG'S and wore a holter... all was fine. Bloodwork was good.. Could the Pvc's cause symptoms as I just said above.?   My Dr. says I need to lose the weight but I am thinking its more underlying things..  I am getting a little pain sometimes too.. but again not necessarily heart related as I have Acid reflux/gerd too and take meds for that too.  Very scared.

Your symptoms of shortness of breath and dizziness could be due to low BP.  Have you checked it since starting your meds?  My PVC's did not respond to toprol...it is not an antiarrhythmic.  Certainly your asthma and weight will contribute to your symptoms as well.  I would consider loosing weight - that will help your BP and exercise will improve cardiovascular fitness.  Acid reflux could be weight related.  Your test results seem to rule out any cardiovascular disease. Numerus PVC's by themselves can cause dizziness.  Interestingly I was taking Ambien - PVC's kept me up -   They caused acid reflux (google ambien and reflux) and when I stopped taking them my PVC's (13,000/24 hr)  and acid reflux disappeared.  Re-evaluate your medications and hope this info helped.
“My Dr. says I need to lose the weight"
Why in the Earth you don’t listen to your doctor.
You have only 50 PVC s a day as the Holter monitor detected.

I wonder if you are listening-reading at all what people and expert over the years posted for you here, included myself. I sent you a wonderful link and copy pasted a page about the right breathing in panic, I think you haven’t even read it,or try to use it, leave alone to say a thank you.
You are welcome.

I do listen to what ppl post on here.  In fact I have been doing the breathing exercises..  I also got this tape  called BREATHING by Dr. Andrew Weil  M.D.   I have been going thru a lot these past 4 yrs.  I watched my husband suffer and die last year after 33 years of marriage.  I have a disabled daughter living with me.. Things are not rosy here right now.  I am working with a psychiatrist, and a nutritionist and trying .. IT is SO hard to move forward emotionally and physically..but I am trying.  And Thank you for all of your advice.. But the stress/panic attacks have consumed my life, which brings on these PVC;'S   I do want to lose weight and am trying to do this, but the stress is a whole other issue for me.  it has ruined my life..  But I do appreciate any help I get from others..
And by the way, when they did that holter there was 58 pvc's that day.. TODAY alone I must have had one every 5 minutes all day long..  been a very stressful day..  sometimes its so easy for ppl to tell u what u should do, I try I really do... but stress brings the pvc's on, I worry about them, and more stress, then more pvc's!!!!  terrible cycle.  I am a hypochondriac too.. and this is another battle I am battling!!!
Thank you for your post! I understand!

I am glad to hear you are working on your weight and do breathing exercise  for your panic , please don’t give up, it will help for your well being a LOT!

Your hypochondria also can be treated, most with self discipline; the great thing is you already did the first step by admitting it and not being in denial about it, do you know how many people are?!!!

Please read the poem I posted as a journal, easy to find, because I have only that, and no comment from people. That no comment I knew will happen. We still are very falsely touching that subject. We all die one day, if husband and wife it is 50-50 who will sooner. Do not get me wrong I know how painful it is after 33 years, but after a while you simply must let it go. Let him go. Remember the good times with smile you two had and do not let anymore that his exit from this Earth that time and from your life to be one reason you are feeling miserable. You are here, God, your karma, your destiny had its last words on it which one of you go first. Your daughter needs you and you need to be there for yourself now. His journey is over. He had done it sooner than you what he was on that planet for in that lifetime.
If you don’t like the poem it is natural, still I would like to you think about it. I was putting it up there, because it was bothering me how people over ‘support’ sometimes, that I find isn’t a real support, not a real help but just ‘crying’ out loud virtually and making the grief even more painful.  

Even if you do 'baby steps' :you will see better days to come!!
Thank you for your help.  I am seeing a psychiatrist and she is sending me to a therapist.  She pretty much said what u just did..  I have to move forward because he would want me to.. and I have to help take care of my daughter.  I have had severe anxiety since I was in my teens.. thats a long time.  So I am working on one thing at a time.. its nice to see people or hear that people all have things going on, especially if its the same things as you do.. I didn't see a poem.. where is it?  I am new to this posting things.. I have posted things before but in the past, I hardly got responses so I gave up. Thanks for your advice.
I am glad to read I wasn’t wrong in your eyes with what I was saying. Therapists are important sometimes, good you talk to one. I like to watch videos and read books from therapists also, but I never had a direct experience with one.    Hope you find a good one who is near your values. If not look for another, nothing wrong with changing them, just like we like a food the other food has also all vitamins etc, and we cannot stand it. Same we have with people or everything else.
You can click on the user name and there you are. The “All Journal entries” is the lift side right under the “About me”

I really liked it.. I never saw this one before.  I went to my psychiatrist and wants me to see this therapist.  She says she is wonderful with those with anxiety..  Of course she wants me to try another medicine.  I am calling this lady on Monday to make a appt.  I just know I want to smile again.  I know I want this more than anything so I am working on this!!!  
You will smile again!!!