quadrupal cardiac bypass
The family are in shock as my Day had a heart attack last week - suddenly flown by helicopter to another hospital we found he faced open heart surgery, which he has had today.  He is NIDDM , mild asthmatic and aged 75.  He is otherwise fit .  He is currently on a ventilator in ICU - the nurse said he is on lots of drugs to keep his blood pressure up as is keeps falling.  What can we expect? They don't seem to be telling us enough .
Oh - he also is being treated for a chest infection - I am worried how he will be able to cough with the sternal wound once he is off the ventilator.?
The chest infection may be caused by the tubes and I am sure that they are treating him with IV antibiotics.  The main thing it that he is able to get off the ventilator and that his blood pressure stays up.  They can only give the blood pressure medicine for so many days.  Is he on more than two drugs to keep his blood pressure up?  The ventilator should only be in a week or two before there is damage done.  How much heart damage did he sustain from the heart attack?  His blood work should give a good indication as to how he is doing now.  It would not be unusual to be on the ventilator for 3 to 5 days after bypass surgery.  It is rough to go through open heart surgery and tough to see a loved one go through this, but if his blood pressure can stay up and if his blood work looks good and if he can start breathing on his own, he will have a chance to make it through this.  The bypasses are a fix unlike stents which are more like band-aids and later on there is trouble again.  Take care.