Heart Disease Community
quadruple by-pass and type 1 diabetes

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

quadruple by-pass and type 1 diabetes

My sister who is in her late 40's and has type 1 diabetes since she was 11, had quadruple by-pass yesterday.
Will she have to face surgery again, will the build up occur in the by-pass veins, if so how long does it take for the disease to cause build up?Thank You.
Avatar n tn
Hi Logan--How is your sister doing so far?

Bypass surgery is not for the faint-hearted (pun intended); it's big stuff and having watched both my parents go through it over the past 2 1/2 years, I know it can really scary for family members as well. Lots of unknowns and lots of nitty-gritty stuff....

Lots of factors go into how long bypass will last. It can be as little as a few months, but quite often, it's 10-20 years. The best things your sister can do are to change the things she can that led to the blockage in the first place and also go through a cardiac rehab program to strengthen her heart (and then follow through by making the the physical activity/exercise guidelines part of and a priority in her life.)

She has diabetes which is a risk factor for coronary artery disease, so it's best if she does everything she reasonably can to keep her blood sugar under control. High blood sugar is like the devil's syrup to arteries.  

A biggie is stress control, which people sometimes under-rate as a risk factor for heart problems but it's actually quite important (and speaking from personal experience, not so easy!)

Please let us know how your sister is doing.

Take care,
Yvette