Heart Disease Expert Forum
questions about valve repair, tachycardia clevland clinic new to all th...

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

questions about valve repair, tachycardia clevland clinic new to all this very scared!

I am 26 female 222 pounds (yikes) smoker not very active (becuase I havent felt well latley!)
I had a baby nov 2006 during my pregnancy I had my gallbladder removed. after having my daughter
I had a severe uterine infection d&c and its still not clear if I had a staph infection they said I did and then I didnt and then they didnt know.......I havnt felt well for the last several months I wanted to get back in the gym get this weight off so I went to see my doctor and she did an echo and a heart holtier. holtier showed tachnycardia and periods of svt (they put me on atenolol 25 mg twice a day......the echo showed moderate pulamory valve regergitation and moderate tricuspid regergitation. I am headed to clevland heart clinic next thursday I have a couple of questions. can these two valve issues be causeing me not to feel good and be causing the high heart rate? I hear yes and no, I would think so but im not a doctor! also do people have these repaired or replaced and live normal lives and  be active. Im so young I want this fixed and I want to get on with my life I now if they are replaced you have to take cumiden the rest of your life but if they can be repaired and you have no other issues are you ok afterwards. I havnt found alot of people with tricuspid and pulonary valve information more atorial (sp?) and mv ????  I dont have that if anyone knows anything about what I have please any info would help. also I know clevland is the best thats why I am going from va anyone else gone to clevland for valve repair or replacment and have any GOOD stories of recovery?
Im a mom of 2 young kids and I am terrified that this is it for me! is there quality life after valve replacement/repair....also what can I do to get myself in the best shape before surgery? my heart rate is through the roof without the atenenolol......help please!
I am not sure what symptoms you are having apart from the tachycardia and inability to exercise. it is rare for somebody to have open heart surgery simply to repair the pulmonic and tricuspid valve: This is usually seen only in patients with congenital heart disease.  The first that he is to perform our own transthoracic echocardiogram so we can see how severe the valve leakage in what the mechanism is.it is possible that he would have under diagnosed congenital heart disease that may require surgery but this is not likely.  You mentioned that you had a staph infection after surgery:I wonder if this infection  affected your heart and cause the valve to leak.  If this is the case this disorders caused endocarditis and then he will likely need surgery to repair or replace the valves.  The decision to replace the valves is made by the surgeon and depends on what the cause of the valve damage is.  Valve repair is obviously always preferable to valve replacement, but replacement of valves sometimes can be done without the use of Coumadin as sometimes we can use tissue valves.
also wanted to add: I feel nauseas and have really bad diareah ever since starting the atenenolol ...is that ok is it my body getting used to it or is it from the heart issue?  thank you
If you search on valve replacement, you should come up with a great website.  The terms and conditions of this forum do not permit me to give you the name, but it should come up.  There is a great forum with lots and lots of information.  Lots of great folks to help.

Good luck with everything!