Heart Disease Expert Forum
radiation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

radiation

If stents block through excess scar tissue forming, I have read about a procedure that can re-open the blockage where radiation is applied using the catheter. I have a few blocked stents in my LAD and I know if I suggest this procedure to my Cardiologist here in the UK he will immediately say "won't work". He seems to say this with anything I suggest even though I've read the radiation treatment has been successful in a number of patients. What are the major problems in using this procedure? and why would a Cardiologist most likely say it is out of the question?
Many thanks.
1 Comment
My cardiologist (2nd one, cause I moved) dismissed my concern of some arm and chest pain I was having a year after my first stent. Finally in Nov 1 he went in and found a blockage in the circumflex, he says it was a tight squeeze and had to insert a non medicated stent because the medicated stents were too large? Funny thing is that even though I know a medical professional would never do this, I will always have this feeling in the back of my mind that he did the stent to shut me up. The other funny thing is I was concerned when my first cardiologist placed a medicated stent and I thought I would have to take thinners for the rest of my life. I am even more concerned that the 2nd stent was not medicated. Given that the second stent is so narrow my fear is what are my options if it does block?