Heart Disease Community
rapid heart rate, dizziness, chest pain..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My 18 year old daughter has been sick for over two month. She started with a severe headache and nausea. Then developed chest pain that was diagnosed as pleurisy and costrocondritis. She then developed dizziness, Chest pain, and a rapid heart rate. Every time she stands up her BP drops and her heart rate climbs to over 100. She has episodes where she breaks out in a cold sweat, has shortness of breath, chest arm and jaw pain. She has had blood work done atleast twice including thyriod and cortisol levels. She has had a ct of the abdomon and chest. Chest xrays and a mri of her head. All came back normal. We are awaiting the results of a stress test, holter monitor and eco. I am very worried about her because after seeing several doctors and a couple specialists we still have no diagnosis and she seems to be getting worse. She spends her days on the couch and hardly moves because her dizziness and rapid heart rate keep her sitting or lying down. Any suggestions would be appreciated I am at my wits end.
Tags: help
Hey there,

If her blood pressure is dropping and her pulse is raising you might want to check her for POTS.  Often they would do a tilt table test to see what is going on.  Has she ever fainted?  Almost sounds like a syncope.

Hi, thanks for your response. I have been reading about POTS and it scares me to death. It sounds like a terrible thing to live with. She definately has the symptoms. I am going to ask her doctor about it on monday along with the possibility she had meningitis, and if he will do a cortisol suppression test, toxin and vitamin defiency screening. No one has suggested a tilt table so I will ask about that as well. She thinks she fainted one morning when she was by herself but she was already lying down in bed so she did not get hurt. Thanks for your suggestion!
Hi there, Have they done a cardiac cath or a ep study? These are very good tests and can tell the plumbing, and electricty. I will pray for you.
Thanks for your prayers! I will mention these tests to the doctor tomorrow.
Hi there, how did the doctors visit go?
He did some blood tests for vitamin defiencies and something else, but wants to wait for the cardiologists report before trying any other tests. He also said she needs to get up and move as much as possible when not too dizzy so she won't become weaker. So basically we have to wait and see what the cardiologist and blood tests reveal.
Thanks for the prayers and your interest.
Thank you for writing back. Another thing that they can check is her adrenal gland, look it up in the inter net and she has some of the symptons. Also ask for some test on her thyroid. I have been praying that she will get better and hopefully this is just a test from god.
Ive gone thru the same thing all year i woke up nauseous with migraines and missed so much school i had all those same tests done numerous cat scans mris ecos  and a holter monitor you name it and today i went to the doctor and he told me its just costrocondritis..so all that money wasted on tests to find out all i have to do is take 600mg of ibp. for 2 mon. ice and heat it and it will heal itself.