Heart Disease Expert Forum
rapid heart rate after anesthesia

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

rapid heart rate after anesthesia

I am a 32 year old woman and I have a mitral valve prolapse and occasionally have palpitations.  During an elective surgery a few years ago I had episodes of rapid heart rate (about 160 beats per minute) after anesthesia. I need to have another surgery soon and I was wondering If a local, combined with twilight anesthesia would be a better choice for me so that my heart might not react like that again.
  Thanyou!

_
Dear Debra,
Arrhythmias in general are quite unpredictable, especially when they are ill-defined to begin with.  Did you ever have an investigation in
to this arrhythmia (holter monitor, or electrophysiology study?)  There is no
doubt that arrhythmias are more common in the MVP population, but whether or not one type of anesthesia is less
likely to provoke them is a question for the anesthesiologist.  It would greatly benefit you and the surgical
team to have a cardiology consult/evaluation prior to the next and any subsequent surgery in order to assess the risk
benefit ratio as well as any precautions that might be taken to avoid such problems or simply deal with them if and when
they do occur.  Good Luck.  I hope that this information has been helpful.  Feel free to write back with any further questions,
I can not stress enough the importance of a cardiology evaluation prior to the surgery, especially if this is elective surgery.
Information provided in the heart forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only, actual diagnosis and treatment
can only be made by your physician.  If you would like an evaluation by one of the Cleveland Clinic cardiologists, simply call
1-800-CCF-CARE and ask for a cardiologist at Desk F15 (for example, Dr. Jaeger, Dr. Ghaffari, etc.)