Heart Disease Community
rapid heart rate after drinking a little bit of alcohol
About This Community:

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

rapid heart rate after drinking a little bit of alcohol

Someone please tell me why this happens and why lately as a 38 year old it's happening more.  I drink at the most 5 light beers over the course of 4 hours or even 2.5 glasses of red wine over the course of about 2 -3 hours.  I am not a drunk whatsoever.  I then drink water afterwards.  But why is it that I go to bed fine and then wake up like 3-4 hours later with my heart beating rapidly?  All from drinking those few beers or some wine?  I need to know what I can take to get it to slow down.  I drink 2x per week only.  This always wakes me up!  Thanks a lot for any help!!!

This discussion is related to Sinus tachycardia queries. Very worried.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
please someone help, thanks.
Blank
It is not clear if your symptoms relate to atrial fibrillation which is a rapid and irregular heart beat, or just a rapid heart beat.  There is a clear link between alcohol consumpution and atrial fibrillation, but I am unaware of the relationship with a rapid heart beat.  I would suggest you do a google search and type in atrial fibrillation and alcohol consumption, and another search:  rapid heart beat and alcohol consumption.  
You should find quite a bit of info.  
Blank
ATTN:  SWEETWATERGUY,

HEY, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.  I WILL DEFINITELY GOOGLE THEM.
I HAVE HAD MANY MANY ECHO'S DONE AND MY HEART IS ALWAYS PERFECTLY NORMAL.  MY HEART BEATING IS NOT IRREGULAR, JUST FAST.  I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW FAST, BUT I CAN CHECK.  I HAVE A BP MACHINE W/ PULSE.  I AM FEMALE, BY THE WAY.  AND I AM OTHERWISE SUPER HEALTHY, NOT OVERWEIGHT, NO HIGH BP, CHOLESTEROL IS 150, ETC. ETC.  THIS IS THE ONLY THING.  HOW COME BACK IN THE DAY, LIKE 10 YEARS AGO WHEN I SMOKED AND DRANK SHOTS THIS DID NOT HAPPEN?  MAYBE I DIDN'T NOTICE IT.  MAYBE NOW I HAVE KIDS AND AM A LIGHT SLEEPER, KIDS ARE STILL YOUNG - 8 MOS. AND 3 YEARS.  I DON'T KNOW.  BUT IS THIS PRETTY NORMAL TO HAPPEN?  I HAVE HAD ISSUES IN THE PAST FROM DRINKING BEER AND EATING SWEETS, THAT FOR SURE WOULD MAKE A FAST HEARTBEAT,BUT I CUT OUT SWEETS.
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!
Blank
Yes it's normal to have different affects over time. I have had what you are describing, high heart rate for hours after alcohol and thought I might be allergic to it or something. I cut down and completely gave up caffiene and now seem to be able to tolerate 2 glasses of wine but if I have more I get the racing heart thing.

Do you know if it goes high quickly ie jumps into a double time speed or does it rise slowly. Mine jumps in an instant then slowly recovers (over hours). I hate it so never drink more than 2 glasses anymore.
Blank
Hi Pum, thanks for your comments.
I still haven't checked my pulse with my machine but next time I have the drinks I surely wll.  I am assuming my pulse is in the low 100's when this is happening.  My resting pulse is in the 80's anyway.  But I'd say after I have my last drink around 7:30 (I know, still early), I'll drink water, watch tv, and then fall asleep.  Around 12:30 -1:00ish I'll wake up with my heart going fast and it will last a good few hours.  It either keeps me up or I'll wake back up and notice it.  However, when I wake up in the a.m. around 7ish it's back to normal.  I do drink just 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I don't get the fast heartbeat with that at all!  And that's the ONLY caffeine I have per day.
Thanks for your help!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34