Heart Disease Community
rapid heart rate after drinking a little bit of alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Someone please tell me why this happens and why lately as a 38 year old it's happening more.  I drink at the most 5 light beers over the course of 4 hours or even 2.5 glasses of red wine over the course of about 2 -3 hours.  I am not a drunk whatsoever.  I then drink water afterwards.  But why is it that I go to bed fine and then wake up like 3-4 hours later with my heart beating rapidly?  All from drinking those few beers or some wine?  I need to know what I can take to get it to slow down.  I drink 2x per week only.  This always wakes me up!  Thanks a lot for any help!!!

This discussion is related to Sinus tachycardia queries. Very worried.
please someone help, thanks.
It is not clear if your symptoms relate to atrial fibrillation which is a rapid and irregular heart beat, or just a rapid heart beat.  There is a clear link between alcohol consumpution and atrial fibrillation, but I am unaware of the relationship with a rapid heart beat.  I would suggest you do a google search and type in atrial fibrillation and alcohol consumption, and another search:  rapid heart beat and alcohol consumption.  
You should find quite a bit of info.  
ATTN:  SWEETWATERGUY,

HEY, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.  I WILL DEFINITELY GOOGLE THEM.
I HAVE HAD MANY MANY ECHO'S DONE AND MY HEART IS ALWAYS PERFECTLY NORMAL.  MY HEART BEATING IS NOT IRREGULAR, JUST FAST.  I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW FAST, BUT I CAN CHECK.  I HAVE A BP MACHINE W/ PULSE.  I AM FEMALE, BY THE WAY.  AND I AM OTHERWISE SUPER HEALTHY, NOT OVERWEIGHT, NO HIGH BP, CHOLESTEROL IS 150, ETC. ETC.  THIS IS THE ONLY THING.  HOW COME BACK IN THE DAY, LIKE 10 YEARS AGO WHEN I SMOKED AND DRANK SHOTS THIS DID NOT HAPPEN?  MAYBE I DIDN'T NOTICE IT.  MAYBE NOW I HAVE KIDS AND AM A LIGHT SLEEPER, KIDS ARE STILL YOUNG - 8 MOS. AND 3 YEARS.  I DON'T KNOW.  BUT IS THIS PRETTY NORMAL TO HAPPEN?  I HAVE HAD ISSUES IN THE PAST FROM DRINKING BEER AND EATING SWEETS, THAT FOR SURE WOULD MAKE A FAST HEARTBEAT,BUT I CUT OUT SWEETS.
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!
Yes it's normal to have different affects over time. I have had what you are describing, high heart rate for hours after alcohol and thought I might be allergic to it or something. I cut down and completely gave up caffiene and now seem to be able to tolerate 2 glasses of wine but if I have more I get the racing heart thing.

Do you know if it goes high quickly ie jumps into a double time speed or does it rise slowly. Mine jumps in an instant then slowly recovers (over hours). I hate it so never drink more than 2 glasses anymore.
Hi Pum, thanks for your comments.
I still haven't checked my pulse with my machine but next time I have the drinks I surely wll.  I am assuming my pulse is in the low 100's when this is happening.  My resting pulse is in the 80's anyway.  But I'd say after I have my last drink around 7:30 (I know, still early), I'll drink water, watch tv, and then fall asleep.  Around 12:30 -1:00ish I'll wake up with my heart going fast and it will last a good few hours.  It either keeps me up or I'll wake back up and notice it.  However, when I wake up in the a.m. around 7ish it's back to normal.  I do drink just 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I don't get the fast heartbeat with that at all!  And that's the ONLY caffeine I have per day.
Thanks for your help!