Heart Disease Community
redundant valve leaflets in mitral valve prolapse

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Mitral valve prolapse due to Myxomatous degeneration causes the body of the mitral valve leaflets to prolapse into the left atrium in systole. "Redundant leaflets"  (thickened in this context)  is commonly used to describe the characteristics of the valve leaflets in mitral valve prolapse.

My question; how is it that the valve leaflet is redundant (thickened), and not thinned considering that the cause of this condition is myxomatous "degeneration"? It makes more sense that leaflets would appear thinned not thickened due to on going weakening of the connective tissue in this condition.
Please elaborate.

This discussion is related to Just what is a redundant mitral valve?.
My heart scan result says that the mitral valve shows some redundant thickening. Please can you advise what does the redundant thickening mean here?
I see your point. However, in medical terms the word 'degenerated' often means less functional. In the case of Myxomatous degeneration the proteins making the chordae and leaflets form incorrectly, and causes thickening.
redundant normally refers to the chordae, the chords which connect to the leaflets, are stretched. This means they won't allow the leaflet to work correctly.