Heart Disease Expert Forum
resting pulse 95-103bpm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

resting pulse 95-103bpm

My resting pulse has been 95-103bpm since I started checking it in August.  A year or two ago it was around 70bpm.  My father had a heart attack two years ago and this concerns me.  I'm 28 years old, about 15 pounds overweight, and am not sedentary but not extremely active either.  Does my high pulse mean I am just out of shape?  It takes very little exercise to reach my target heart rate of 141 (slow walking).  Since my resting pulse is so high, can I raise my target heart rate?

Dear aet,
It is very possible that you are simply out of shape (or deconditioned as it is said in medical terms) and actually a good measure of being out of shape is how quickly you reach target heart rate while exercising-the quicker target is reached, the more out of shape you are.  I would be in your best interest to go see a general physician (internist or family practitioner) for a full history and physical plus a check of your cholesterol-all in an effort to modify those risk factors for heart disease that can be modified so that you do not end up in your father's shoes having a heart attack.  A general physical is always wise before embarking on an exercise program which I highly suggest, as well you might receive some literature on healthy eating.  These two things combined (exercise and diet) will then allow you to lose the 15 extra pounds or so, as well as be on the road to overall better health.  
Mind you there are some conditions where the heart rate is greater than 100bpm at rest for periods of time and this is abnormal, however it does not sound like this is the problem in your case.  The physician you see, if s/he has any question in regards to this resting heart rate of yours, may simply opt to check a holter monitor and a thyroid test (a 24hour monitoring of your blood pressure and a blood test, respecitively.)  Good Luck.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general medical informational purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnosis and therapies.  
Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your problem.