Heart Disease Community
reverse damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

reverse damage

i have damage to my heart from heart attacks w/o treatment, because i thought it was heartburn. now after 9 stents and 2 others needin cleaned out i,m wondering if there's any way to reverse the damage and prevent anymore attacks and stents. my last was placed 5 wks ago and been sick for last 3 wks. plus chest, neck, arm and stomach pains.
'damaged' can mean many things in life. It can mean damaged slightly to damaged beyond repair so without further details it leaves one guessing to the exact meaning. Heart cells, or indeed any cell in the Human body, can take a certain amount of damage and be able to repair itself. If the DNA and enough systems remain intact, then repairs can be carried out successfully. However, if the DNA is damaged and too many of the repair systems, there is no hope for repair so it will die. If cells die, they are replaced with new ones, but not with all parts of the body, which unfortunately includes the Heart. I have never understood why nature would give us such an important organ, without the ability to generate new cells.
So, if your damage is referring to dead cells (necrotic) then nothing will cause regeneration in that area. You wont believe how much is being spent on stem cell research in the world, trying to coat hearts with new cells where dead ones exist. So far nothing has worked but I think it will happen in the near future with a breakthrough.
As for future attacks, this is something they seem to brainwash us with. Most people suffer Angina as a blockage gradually builds up, and attacks are much lower in occurrence. An attack requires the rupture of a blockage, or a clot to form but this is not half as likely if on the right medication. It takes lifestyle changes to reduce blockages, lowering stress levels, keeping blood pressure normal, keeping blood cholesterol lower than normal, exercising each day even if it's just a walk, eating healthy foods. Smoking is a no no and too much alcohol is also a no no. If you achieve these changes to your lifestyle, you should keep more blockages at bay. With regards to diet, don't just concentrate on fat, keep sugar in mind too, this is shown to also contribute.
"The discovery a few years ago that inflammation in the artery wall is the real cause of heart disease is slowly leading to a paradigm shift in how heart disease and other chronic ailments will be treated."

"Simply stated, without inflammation being present in the body, there is no way that cholesterol would accumulate in the wall of the blood vessel and cause heart disease and strokes. Without inflammation, cholesterol would move freely throughout the body as nature intended. It is inflammation that causes cholesterol to become trapped."

"What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods."

"Foods loaded with sugars and simple carbohydrates, or processed withomega-6 oils for long shelf life have been the mainstay of the American diet for six decades. These foods have been slowly poisoning everyone."

"The cholesterol theory led to the no-fat, low-fat recommendations that in turn created the very foods now causing an epidemic of inflammation. Mainstream medicine made a terrible mistake when it advised people to avoid saturated fat in favor of foods high in omega-6 fats. We now have an epidemic of arterial inflammation leading to heart disease and other silent killers.

What you can do is choose whole foods your grandmother served and not those your mom turned to as grocery store aisles filled with manufactured foods. By eliminating inflammatory foods and adding essential nutrients from fresh unprocessed food, you will reverse years of damage in your arteries and throughout your body from consuming the typical American diet."

Excerpts from: Heart Surgeon Admits He was Wrong About Low Fat Diet and Heart Disease
Yes trends have changed from one thing to another for decades. I have always been amazed at how atherosclerosis exists in the coronary arteries in many patients, yet nowhere else. I had lots of arteries scanned in my body, the neck, the arms, the chest, the shoulders, the legs, and there was nothing.
One would have to assume it's because the coronary arteries are prone to a lot more stress. After all, these small arteries hang directly off the Aorta, the largest artery in the body. Other arteries have the benefit of being the result of gradual lowering in size of arteries before they are reached, like the roots on a plant. Not the poor old Coronaries.